Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Pain after long practice sessions?  (Read 3802 times)

Offline stor314

Pain after long practice sessions?
on: July 16, 2015, 10:33:04 PM
Hi, I am self taught and I have been playing for 6 months.  For some reason I started learning Chopin's Etude op 10 no 1, and although I was able to get it up to moderate tempo, I believe I may have hurt myself by doing so.  I now know that I should not have started this piece without having a proper technique, that's not what I am here to discuss. Over the past couple of days I have felt some pain in my right forearm, wrist and fingers.  It doesn't hurt when I am playing piano.  But when I am not, I will randomly feel tinges of pain shooting through some of my fingers or in my wrist.  Is this bad? I have restrained from playing for the past two days, and it seems like it is getting better.  Is this an injury or just fatigue? I realize I need to change my technique when I return to play as well.

Offline pianoplayer002

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pain after long practice sessions?
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 11:00:36 PM
Any pain related to piano playing is your brain telling you "son, you are doing something that's gonna hurt you. stop before you get an injury.". This means you are doing something wrong and need to work on your technique. It is not just fatigue, allthough fatigue tells you you have poor technique, too. Op 10 no 1 should not give you any pain, or fatigue.

Offline stor314

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 11:19:27 PM
Does it have anything to do with the fact I was practicing 4-5 hours a day as well? Is it any type of a repetitive stress injury?  I know I probably don't have good technique, but I've never injured myself on any other song.  Before this etude I also had never practiced for longer than a hour.  For the past three days though I spent most of the day repeating the same section over and over again, without much break in between.  Could that play a factor as well?  I know I have to fix my technique, I was just wondering if that had any effect on my hands.  Also should the pain wear off if it give it time to rest from what you've heard?  It feels like it may be a nerve problem rather than something with my tendons. 

Offline pianoplayer002

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:33:30 PM
Does it have anything to do with the fact I was practicing 4-5 hours a day as well? Is it any type of a repetitive stress injury?  I know I probably don't have good technique, but I've never injured myself on any other song.  Before this etude I also had never practiced for longer than a hour.  For the past three days though I spent most of the day repeating the same section over and over again, without much break in between.  Could that play a factor as well?  I know I have to fix my technique, I was just wondering if that had any effect on my hands.  Also should the pain wear off if it give it time to rest from what you've heard?  It feels like it may be a nerve problem rather than something with my tendons.  

Yes it sounds like a nerve problem to me, but I'm not a doctor. Nerve problems are still an indication that you are straining somewhere where you shouldn't. The pain should wear off with rest. When you start working again, just ensure that you are loose in all joints (hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders etc), with firm finger tips. With correct technique you can practise chopin etudes for 8 hours a day without strain.

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 11:59:39 PM
Hi, I am self taught and I have been playing for 6 months. For some reason I started learning Chopin's Etude op 10 no 1,

lol

Just switch practicing op 10 no 1 with op 25 no 6 or 25 no 11.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline stor314

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:02:37 AM
I'm afraid I am to far in to quit, I have already got two bars of it up to speed and have memorized the song.  I was naive in thinking that this etude would be easy because of the simple left hand, what I mistake that was!  I am still determined to finish it however.  Thank you for your suggestions, I plan to learn Op 25 no 11 in the future as well!

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 12:34:59 AM
since you have no teacher... if you upload a video of your playing we can take a look at your posture and hand positions and maybe make some suggestions..

how old are you?  six months and you are learning the op 10 no. 1, wow, did you already have some training in music or are you learning by some other method? sorry for the 20 questions just trying to understand where you are that's all.  Acoustic piano or digital? are you using an adjustable bench or a chair?  are you following the fingerings suggested in the score?

if you are dropping your wrist below the keys a lot...or straining your tendons then it's likely to cause carpal. that's what your symptoms sound like to me.

4-5 hours a day...that's quite a bit--but not out of the question..  what happened six months ago that made you suddenly want to learn to play the piano--if you don't mind my asking? why do you want to play this particular etude. 

was there a traumatic event of some kind?  I am only asking because often times when people go at it this obsessively they are trying to forget something else... and hey--whatever works--if it gets you to practice than it's good.   Just sometimes those people forget to relax and breathe while they play...they tend carry a lot of tension to the piano...especially when they are frustrated about a particular piece,   

Offline stor314

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 01:35:35 AM
since you have no teacher... if you upload a video of your playing we can take a look at your posture and hand positions and maybe make some suggestions..

I am going to be getting lessons in the fall by a classically trained pianist, but until then I will remain self taught. 

Here is a video of me playing the first two bars of the etude at a moderate tempo: 

It was definitely a bit messy, I have played it cleaner and faster than that, It's just I get nervous when the camera is on  :P

Here is another video of the first twenty seconds of Chopin's Nocturne Opus 9 No 1 in B flat minor, I have since corrected the fingering on the fast part and the tenseness of my 4 and 5th fingers on the chromatic scale part

how old are you?  six months and you are learning the op 10 no. 1, wow, did you already have some training in music or are you learning by some other method? sorry for the 20 questions just trying to understand where you are that's all.  Acoustic piano or digital? are you using an adjustable bench or a chair?  are you following the fingerings suggested in the score?

I am 17 years old, and I did not have much training when it comes to music.  I did play trumpet for a year and a half back when I was 9, but I did not take that very seriously.  I am playing on a digital piano, this is the exact one I play on
https://www.amazon.com/Williams-Rhapsody-Digital-Piano/dp/B009ZWWZCK%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAI347CEVD2FHICAUQ%26tag%3Dgifsolforh059-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creati

It's not the greatest but it works for me.  I am using a chair that is pretty low to the ground, that may be one of my problems as my elbows are below the keybed while I play, I will get a proper bench soon hopefully.  I am also using the exact fingerings that are stated in my version of the etude.

what happened six months ago that made you suddenly want to learn to play the piano--if you don't mind my asking? why do you want to play this particular etude.

Honestly, its quite a strange story when it comes to why I started playing piano.  I used to have Gymnopedie No 1 by Erik Satie as my alarm to wake me up in the morning, and I really loved the song.  One Sunday I was randomly struck with the urge to play that song on a keyboard.  I dug my mom's old yamaha keyboard (literally this thing was old, my mom bought it in 1980, it didnt even have a proper piano sound).  Ever since then I have fell in love with the piano and classical music, and I practice everyday (well not lately because of my injury).  I love Frederic Chopin, and specifically this etude, and I wanted to see how far I could go and what level I could really play at before I take a step back down and refine my technique.

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 02:25:55 AM

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 02:38:46 AM
well ok.. hey you're doing great for 6 months  ;D

a lot of tension in your fingers on some of the arpeggios...   you seem to make the back of your hand concave almost...  it puts a lot of strain on your wrist.  your technique isn't that bad considering no one showed you anything but it's still pretty stiff... that is part of the problem especially if you are putting in long hours.  a lot of times students will tense up fingers that aren't playing thinking they will add strength to the one that is... it doesn't work...

looks like you are sitting a little too low and that chair has armrests--geez that's about the most ergonomically challenged set up possible...lol.   that's a LOT of your problem.  get a bench and sit a little further back... you're hunching it looks like.  A teacher could do a whole lot for you..  ;D

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 03:26:32 AM
Do you really need to ask these questions? I think the answers are quite obvious:
- Yes, you have injured yourself
- You have injured yourself because you tried to do something that you absolutely do not have any basic tools to do correctly
- Your injury will heal if you stop doing what you did, but if you then continue what your were doing before it will come back. Every time it come back it will take longer to heal. In the worst case you will get a proper nerve injury and those can take MONTHS to heal and will affect your daily life as well.
- It's just insane practicing this etude for hours a day when you are just a beginner with no tutoring, because you simply don't have what it takes to get it.

I'm afraid I am to far in to quit, I have already got two bars of it up to speed and have memorized the song.  I was naive in thinking that this etude would be easy because of the simple left hand, what I mistake that was!  I am still determined to finish it however. 

This is just plain stupid. You are NOT far in. Whatever you are doing you are doing wrong. The fact that you may be able to get some bars up to speed means nothing if you end up with injury. You will have to start again from the scratch after you have learned proper playing technique.

What you need to do is forget about this piece, start your lessons and do what your teacher tells you. Before that play something suitable for a beginner and practice reading so that you won't harm yourself further.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 03:37:08 AM

as harsh as outin statement sounds... he's correct.   you are practicing doing it incorrectly--which only makes you better at doing it incorrectly...

I understand your determination--but if you really want to play, you are going to have to get some instruction...  you can still put in the long hours...but there will be some structure...

;D  Chopin would want it that way... if you love his work--than be respectful of it...learn the right way...because there is a right way.  you will improve so much more quickly... 

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 03:52:28 AM

as harsh as outin statement sounds... he's correct.   

I know I was a little harsh, but since it's a 17 year old guy, I think a pat on the head is less effective than a kick in the butt :)

Offline suethemoon

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 10:17:57 AM
For this etude, I suggest playing very slow, evenly and quietly while still pressing deep into the key. This will help build eveness with fingerwork and be less stressful on the forearm while still improving (currently your practice video shows you tend to group notes which makes it 'lumpy' or uneven). Keep it up!
Currently Learning:
Liszt - Spanish Rhapsody
Brahms - Handel Variations and fugue
Beethoven - Appassionata sonata
Chopin - Etude op 10 no 2

Offline anamnesis

• PS Gold Member
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 12:43:06 PM
Hi, I am self taught and I have been playing for 6 months.  For some reason I started learning Chopin's Etude op 10 no 1, and although I was able to get it up to moderate tempo, I believe I may have hurt myself by doing so.  I now know that I should not have started this piece without having a proper technique, that's not what I am here to discuss. Over the past couple of days I have felt some pain in my right forearm, wrist and fingers.  It doesn't hurt when I am playing piano.  But when I am not, I will randomly feel tinges of pain shooting through some of my fingers or in my wrist.  Is this bad? I have restrained from playing for the past two days, and it seems like it is getting better.  Is this an injury or just fatigue? I realize I need to change my technique when I return to play as well.

You aren't ready for this piece. For various reasons this is one of the more difficult pieces out of the Op 10 set.  I believe you are the same person who posted on reddit about the Winterwind, which is actually easier in my opinion.

The left hand in this piece actually makes this etude more difficult because it distorts the balance of activity between both halves of the body (or at least one that one is normally used to).  The Godowsky transcription, despite being harder to read, and at first seeming to be harder to coordinate is actually easier than the Chopin original because it restores that balance between both arms. It hints at what you are supposed to do in the original as well as makes the voice leading progression more obvious.  

I would first learn a piece that makes obvious the balance of activity between both arms as well as develops your ability to find keys at larger distances from the upper arm/shoulder girdle.  It seems difficult to stop you from shying away from showy pieces, so I'm going to suggest Rosenthal's Papillons, which is actually easier than it looks.  

One of the many hand crossing pieces from Scarlatti could also work.  

EDIT:

If you are absolute dead-set  on Op 10 no 1 (which I recommend against at the moment) , I would suggest not practicing all of the arpeggios at the moment.  I would devote most of my practice toward being able to create a musical statement out of only the "turns" between the arpeggios on both the top and the bottom.  In most cases this will be first and last beats of each bar. (Bars 42-45 being the main exception, which you should practice in their entirety. They actually give some the of the strongest hints about how to play the piece.) 

I wouldn't bother using a lot of the time filling in the  middle arpeggios until you can play this reduced version of the piece playing only the turns, in rhythmic fashion with an interpretation that understands the voice leading in the piece. 

Robert Henry and Walter Ramsey both had excellent comments on the study of this piece on this forum somewhere. 

Offline stor314

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 01:04:42 PM
Outin and Dcstudio you guys are absolutely right.  I have given it more thought and I have decided that I will stop learning the waterfall etude. 

I believe you are the same person who posted on reddit about the Winterwind, which is actually easier in my opinion.

Yes Anamnesis I am that person from reddit, and I just realized how stupid I must have seemed to everyone there and everyone here.  I don't know why it took so many people telling me no for me to finally realize that I could seriously injure myself.  I know I could play these pieces, but I also know that I couldn't play them right and how they were supposed to be played.  I wish I would have listened to everyone at reddit before I started learning this piece.  I took it the wrong way, I took it as motivation to learn a difficult song, when I really should have been listening to what people were saying and heeding their warnings. 

Thank you Outin for being honest with me, so many people were before you, but for some reason your comment really hit me and decided me to change my way of thinking.  I thank you from that, You and everyone else at reddit has stopped me from injuring myself.  I am extremely sorry to everyone as well, I have been extremely arrogant and naive thinking that I could play pieces off the bat that take concert pianist years to perfect. 

I am going to completely abandon the etude until I have had proper training over the next year or two.  Thank you all again for knocking some sense in me.

Offline musikology

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 01:19:27 PM
you answered your own question: technique. Bad technique=pain (and ugly sound). 

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 02:13:34 PM
Hi, I am self taught and I have been playing for 6 months.  For some reason I started learning Chopin's Etude op 10 no 1, and although I was able to get it up to moderate tempo, I believe I may have hurt myself by doing so. 

Problem solved. Stop playing it and go get a teacher. Come back to this etude after 10 years of hard work.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 02:23:11 PM

Thank you Outin for being honest with me, so many people were before you, but for some reason your comment really hit me and decided me to change my way of thinking.  I thank you from that, You and everyone else at reddit has stopped me from injuring myself.  I am extremely sorry to everyone as well, I have been extremely arrogant and naive thinking that I could play pieces off the bat that take concert pianist years to perfect. 

Don't worry, I have been a beginner as well and wanted to play 10-2, which is even more ridiculous  ;D

I also have had minor strain injuries, but the good news is that with a few years of proper teaching, those have not been back anymore. Don't give up if your teacher insists on working the technique from the basics, it is definitely worth it and if you stick with it you'll eventually be able to play (almost) anything. There's still a lot of really nice easier music that you can study while waiting for the Chopin etudes. If you get bored with whatever you get from your teacher, I second the suggestion of Scarlatti, his music is not only great, but you'll learn a lot and it's not likely to cause injuries. Good luck!

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 03:17:57 PM
Problem solved. Stop playing it and go get a teacher. Come back to this etude after 10 years of hard work.
Four years. I only had 6 years with a  teacher, but can play for a long time without injury due to good habits instilled by teacher.  Wrists straight, arms drooping from the shoulder, back straight, neck straight, adjust the bench not your body.  Lots of Edna Mae Berman exercises, then Czerny, scales only until I had them down, the tricky wrist movements one does in an arpeggio. The recital and contest pieces were fun, and nothing like the stuff they require in the alphabet soup competitions from the UK.   I'm playing 3 or 4 grades above where I was when I quit lessons, without injury so far, and a lot of fun repretoire in the brain and out the fingers. 
So good luck with your teacher stor314. 

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 05:16:59 PM
I know I was a little harsh, but since it's a 17 year old guy, I think a pat on the head is less effective than a kick in the butt :)

LOL--you must have boys...    I am always the softie, and my husband is the butt-kicker. 

to the op--you may very well be destined for greatness as a pianist... and you are very willing to work at it... so...   most often "newbie" pianists think that somehow taking lessons will hinder them in some way from reaching their full potential...  and sometimes it feels that way at first--but a good teacher is vital to your growth as a classical pianist.

If you said you wanted to play Clocks by Coldplay..  then no one would have said a thing.

You want to play Chopin...  you are at a website with some pretty passionate musicians who have spent decades--in some cases--learning to do this...   

that kind of video causes my ears to bleed, dear...   :'(   

on the bright side -- after you take lessons for a while and learn a bit more---these videos will be great for your before/after comparison.  I would be very interested to see you make a video of this etude after you have had some training..

;D

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 11:04:30 PM
Can you post your performance of 10/1? I'm curious what it sounds like after only 6 months of self taught piano. Probably sounds like Pollini ::)
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline stor314

Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 11:45:18 PM
I did farther up in the thread, but here is the link for it again

I only got the first to bars up to moderate tempo because I had only been learning the piece for 3 or 4 days, and that clip is quite messy and not as fast as I could play it.  I have since decided to abandon the piece to prevent further injury.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 12:59:53 AM
I did farther up in the thread, but here is the link for it again

Sorry I didn't see it! Thanks!  ;D
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 05:50:37 AM
Can you post your performance of 10/1? I'm curious what it sounds like after only 6 months of self taught piano. Probably sounds like Pollini ::)
Well polished, articulated, and clean? Hm... methinks not so.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 06:01:24 AM

Playing it faster than you should thus blowing through it like a pile of bricks? Hm... methinks so.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 06:06:17 AM
Playing it faster than you should thus blowing through it like a pile of bricks? Hm... methinks so.
He doesn't take it super fast like many others do, actually. Unless we're referencing different recordings?
The one I'm talking about is this one:

Compared to Lisista's, for example, he's not that far from her.

If anyone blows it out of the water, it's probably Cziffra-

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 06:15:05 AM
He doesn't take it super fast like many others do, actually. Unless we're referencing different recordings?
The one I'm talking about is this one:

Compared to Lisista's, for example, he's not that far from her.

If anyone blows it out of the water, it's probably Cziffra-

Yes, I was talking about the same recording. I actually have his 24 etudes cd. I was saying that because he doesn't even try to do anything musically. He just plays the notes and is done with it.

Wait a minute are you saying lisitsa is the gold standard? :-\

Yes I agree that cziffra plays it way to fast, but don't you at least hear him trying to make the piece interesting? I don't hear pollini doing that at all. I really like almost all of his etudes, but this one...

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 06:20:36 AM
I never said Lisista is the gold standard. Neither did I say Pollini was.
I simply said that the statement of "Playing it faster than you should and thus blowing through it like a pile of bricks" is inaccurate, since it was more just unmusical playing rather than too fast.
I actually rather like Cziffra's, his interpretation is... unique  ;D

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: July 18, 2015, 06:22:59 AM
I simply said that the statement of "Playing it faster than you should and thus blowing through it like a pile of bricks" is inaccurate, since it was more just unmusical playing rather than too fast.

My point was that he was playing it so fast that he couldn't be musical at that tempo. I like borezovsky's with that "nice touch"... not staccato eh?

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #30 on: July 18, 2015, 10:17:21 PM
I am going to completely abandon the etude until I have had proper training over the next year or two.  Thank you all again for knocking some sense in me.

Yes, please do so ;D It will be much longer than a year or two until you can start serious work on any of Chopin etudes but hey, there is a lot of nice repertoire out there. What matters is not what you play but HOW.

I like Trifonov's version of 10 no 1.

Offline stor314

Reply #31 on: July 19, 2015, 10:02:42 PM
there is a lot of nice repertoire out there.

Do you think Chopin's Nocturne Op 55 No 1 would be in my reach?

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 10:09:56 PM

really? :(

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 10:17:26 PM

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 10:40:22 PM
Do you think Chopin's Nocturne Op 55 No 1 would be in my reach?

No. But this day will come (maybe sooner than we think). Just do as kind people advised you - work with a teacher, do what she/he tells you and work hard. It is really important to trust your teacher and follow the guidelines they give you. If you work on your own on a repertoire far too hard for you, you will end up with injuries (just like you are experiencing now) and bad habits which are very difficult and time consuming to get rid of later. Tension is the greatest enemy of good piano playing. Trying to play advanced pieces will cause tension. Why waste your time like this? Learn first things first and in a few years you will be very happy you learned everything properly.
If you want to play some well-known, beautiful but difficult pieces - there are some simplified versions of them for beginners.

Offline stor314

Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 10:56:04 PM
No. But this day will come (maybe sooner than we think). Just do as kind people advised you - work with a teacher, do what she/he tells you and work hard. It is really important to trust your teacher and follow the guidelines they give you. If you work on your own on a repertoire far too hard for you, you will end up with injuries (just like you are experiencing now) and bad habits which are very difficult and time consuming to get rid of later. Tension is the greatest enemy of good piano playing. Trying to play advanced pieces will cause tension. Why waste your time like this? Learn first things first and in a few years you will be very happy you learned everything properly.
If you want to play some well-known, beautiful but difficult pieces - there are some simplified versions of them for beginners.

Thank you very much for being honest with me, I promise I will listen this time  :)

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 11:07:01 PM
it's not just your hands---you are going to hurt your neck and back with your current set up.  That makes it very hard to practice when you are having muscle spasms.

get a bench and a stand for that keyboard if it doesn't have one... that you can correct right away.

you pretty much have to crawl before you can fly on the piano..  but you may not have to crawl very long--if you put that kind of time into a structured practice routine--and spend time studying theory--you are going to do very well.  ;D

Offline sabtan

Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 11:17:36 PM
Yes, you need to stop focusing on repertoire that are out of your reach.

You'll need proper basic classical training to build up your technique and fingering.

Even accomplished concert pianists injure their hands and be out of action for years.
https://www.michaelhoustoun.co.nz/archive_focald.html

It's no joke.

Music isn't supposed to be something that injures your body.
Current repertoire:

Haydn Sonata in C maj Hob 50
Bach Toccata and Fugue in G maj
Faure Nocturne no.2 in B maj Op 33
Faure Impromptu no.3 in A major Op 34
Debussy Reflets dans l'eau

Offline stor314

Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 12:41:01 AM
get a bench and a stand for that keyboard if it doesn't have one... that you can correct right away.

I am getting a bench very soon, and my keyboard is a console piano so I don't need a stand.  I don't really see what else is wrong with my posture besides my elbows being underneath the keybed (because of my low seat).  I sit up straight when I play and I try not to slouch my shoulders.

Offline breakup

Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 01:36:00 AM
Hi, I am self taught and I have been playing for 6 months.  For some reason I started learning Chopin's Etude op 10 no 1, and although I was able to get it up to moderate tempo, I believe I may have hurt myself by doing so.  I now know that I should not have started this piece without having a proper technique, that's not what I am here to discuss. Over the past couple of days I have felt some pain in my right forearm, wrist and fingers.  It doesn't hurt when I am playing piano.  But when I am not, I will randomly feel tinges of pain shooting through some of my fingers or in my wrist.  Is this bad? I have restrained from playing for the past two days, and it seems like it is getting better.  Is this an injury or just fatigue? I realize I need to change my technique when I return to play as well.

See a doctor and have the tests done for Carpal Tunnel, if that is the problem there are several possible treatments, I had the surgery where they simply cut the ligaments and haven't had a problem since.  That was about 30 years ago, and I was in my 30's and had the condition for as long as I can remember, but it had been misdiagnosed several times.  I'm not convinced that scraping the bone is the best solution, to me it seems that the bone would just heal and constrict the nerves more and the problem would return.   Of course all this assumes that Carpal Tunnel is the correct diagnosis.   BTW I have recently started playing the piano again and haven't had any problems.  If this is the problem, and they do the surgery, you will be out for a couple of weeks, one hand at a time. 

Offline stor314

Reply #40 on: July 20, 2015, 02:06:33 AM
See a doctor and have the tests done for Carpal Tunnel, if that is the problem there are several possible treatments, I had the surgery where they simply cut the ligaments and haven't had a problem since.

If the pain persists I will, but honestly I don't think it is that serious.  I have been experiencing less and less pain and more relief as the days go by, I think it will disappear entirely within the next week or two.  When I get back to playing I will be smarter about it, I am going to work on my technique for the rest of the summer until my lessons start up in the fall.  Thank you for your concern and advice.

Offline breakup

Reply #41 on: July 20, 2015, 02:32:30 AM
If the pain persists I will, but honestly I don't think it is that serious.  I have been experiencing less and less pain and more relief as the days go by, I think it will disappear entirely within the next week or two.  When I get back to playing I will be smarter about it, I am going to work on my technique for the rest of the summer until my lessons start up in the fall.  Thank you for your concern and advice.

If you stop playing and the pain goes away, that will be consistent with Carpal Tunnel.  If you start again and the pain comes back, even just a little, that is consistent with Carpal Tunnel.  The condition is from stress to the ligaments that go across the nerves through a grove in the wrist.   The ligaments swell from use, and pinch the nerves, there is some danger of permanent damage to the nerves which could effect your ability to play.   My advice is to have it checked out now, rather than later, after the damage has been done.    Finding out that it is not carpal tunnel will point you in a different direction,  and may lead to a correction of what is causing the problem.   Look up 'Carpal Tunnel Syndrome' for a more complete description of the potential problem.   

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 04:50:27 AM
If you have never had problems like this before you started playing, ignore any advice of getting it "fixed" by surgery. It is completely unnecessary in  your situation and with every surgery there's always the risk of complications.

Even if you have the beginnings of Carpal Tunnel syndrome, you can heal and avoid it by revising your playing. That's what I did. It involves:
1. Making sure your wrist is straight and relaxed (but not floppy) so that there's enough room for the nerves and tendons and that there's no unnecessary tension on the forearm muscles , which work the tendons going to your fingers. Too much finger force or curling the fingers will tense these muscles.
2. Learn to use your whole arm and upper body instead of just your wrist to accomodate different hand positions.
3. Never ignore the signals from your body that are trying to tell you it's in trouble. Tingling, prickles and pain during or afterwards are not supposed to be part of learning how to play.

It's not that simple to see and feel yourself the first 2, that's why a good teacher is so important. Make sure to TELL your teacher always if you feel any of the things mentioned in 3. People are not alike and some pianists get away with many things that will cause another immediate problems. Also until you have learned a really effortless playing technique, do avoid 4 hour sessions of repetitive practicing. And since you obviously use a computer or similar device as well, there's also the simple fact of overuse. Nature really didn't plan for us to sit frozen for hours staring at a screen just using our hands...

The bonus you get is better sound as well, since forced playing doesn't usually sound that good either.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: July 20, 2015, 10:26:19 AM
I am getting a bench very soon, and my keyboard is a console piano so I don't need a stand.  I don't really see what else is wrong with my posture besides my elbows being underneath the keybed (because of my low seat).  I sit up straight when I play and I try not to slouch my shoulders.

that chair with the armrests is no good.  8) 

Offline stor314

Reply #44 on: July 20, 2015, 01:27:24 PM
that chair with the armrests is no good.  8) 
Yes I know lol it was all I had at the time

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: July 20, 2015, 02:55:50 PM
Does it have anything to do with the fact I was practicing 4-5 hours a day as well? Is it any type of a repetitive stress injury?  I know I probably don't have good technique, but I've never injured myself on any other song.  Before this etude I also had never practiced for longer than a hour.  For the past three days though I spent most of the day repeating the same section over and over again, without much break in between.  Could that play a factor as well?  I know I have to fix my technique, I was just wondering if that had any effect on my hands.  Also should the pain wear off if it give it time to rest from what you've heard?  It feels like it may be a nerve problem rather than something with my tendons. 

My harsh advice: If you are being serious with this, then you should take a month off from piano playing. I mean it, a month OFF.
This is not what people want to hear, and then we get the usual bunch of "losing too much", "getting out of shape" and "I have to practice" and blablablah. But look, if piano playing is a lifetime commitment for you and not a fad, you have to think in LONG TERMS.

I have been there too. Took up piano playing again and suddenly found it was great fun and so I practiced and practiced ... and then I got physical "sensations" and even trouble. Tried to rest a bit, tried to adjust my technique - also got myself a teacher and so on. It did not help much. What helped me was a long, hot summer when it was virtually impossible to practice for a few weeks because it simply was too hot outside and I was busy with housekeeping and family keeping and other tasks as well.

When I finally sat down at the piano again, the pain was gone! So, recovery time is longer than you think, unfortunately ... longer than you want it to be. But necessary! Yes, you might have to take one or several steps back and start some things over again, but you will regain your former skill faster than you think, and you will be wiser this time.

So be patient here. While you take your piano vacation you can always do other music related activities - learn and memorize music, listen to music, go to concerts, learn more music theory, listen to lectures ... the list is endless. Just don't fool yourself with the popular belief that if you repeat the same three bars 3000 times more, or for yet another 8 hours in a row, you are doing fine. You should NEVER work in that way anyway. Even the best ones avoid that kind of practicing. They may practice for many hours every day - but not all of them do! - but during that time they do a lot of different activities.
Work with one piece for half an hour, the most, then leave it and work with something else. You will learn more efficiently that way! It is not about your fingers, mind you. It is about your brain, and it can just process and digest a certain amount of new knowledge at a time, then it need to take a long break, preferably sleep as well. Don't worry that you are not learning efficiently this way, because you are. The brain keeps on working with post-processing on a subconscious level, and that is just as important as the "actual playing".

A typical sign of mental overload is, if you are lucky, lost of focus and concentration. If you are too engaged, though, you might instead experience that learning gets harder and harder ... and if you try to compensate by working even HARDER, your whole body starts to protest. You feel ache and fatigue and all kinds of nerve reactions. Yes, your brain is directing your body, hopefully ... and these are signs that it is going a bit out of order.

So, await your bench and you teacher, enjoy your summer and be sure that you are doing a wise thing, something that will benefit you the best in long terms. 

Offline stor314

Reply #46 on: July 20, 2015, 09:55:06 PM
So, await your bench and you teacher, enjoy your summer and be sure that you are doing a wise thing, something that will benefit you the best in long terms. 

Thank you for all of the advice, I deeply appreciate it and I will be taking a break from piano for quite a while, at least until I am able to get a bench if not even longer than that.  The thing that confuses me is that my hands do not hurt when I play.  They hurt only when I am going about my day, I'll get random tinges and sensations of pain shooting up my fingers and arms.  Nothing to serious, but it is definitely annoying.  I also have no history of Carpal Tunnel, that plus the fact I am able to play without pain leads me to believe I do not have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.  I am guessing it is more along the lines of what you have told me, it being a nerve issue.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: July 21, 2015, 03:50:59 AM
Thank you for all of the advice, I deeply appreciate it and I will be taking a break from piano for quite a while, at least until I am able to get a bench if not even longer than that.  The thing that confuses me is that my hands do not hurt when I play.  They hurt only when I am going about my day, I'll get random tinges and sensations of pain shooting up my fingers and arms.  Nothing to serious, but it is definitely annoying.  I also have no history of Carpal Tunnel, that plus the fact I am able to play without pain leads me to believe I do not have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.  I am guessing it is more along the lines of what you have told me, it being a nerve issue.

Just for your information:
Carpal Tunnel syndrome is a nerve issue. It is caused by inflammation of the nerves going through the tunnel. The term "syndrome" is a bit misleading. It doesn't mean that you have some underlying defect. It is perfectly normal for this tunnel to be a bit tight. The first symptoms are often numbness or tingling, not necessarily any pain.

One can get similar sensations and problems from a nerve compression at another point, either the elbow or the neck/shoulder area. Those are usually connected to your posture and a bad sitting position and chronic tension.

But all these problems are best cured by first resting the problem place for the nerve inflammation to settle and then correcting how you do things.

Something I learned also: To play for a long time without getting problems you need to be in good general physical shape. So exercise is important for pianists. I personally hate exercising, but now I do it just to facilitate my piano playing :)

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: July 21, 2015, 11:24:59 AM
Thank you for all of the advice, I deeply appreciate it and I will be taking a break from piano for quite a while, at least until I am able to get a bench if not even longer than that.

Oh, yet another little tip: Chopin is quite demanding, although he was a very skilled pianist and knew about ergonomics in playing and so on. But my teacher advised me to play Bach instead if I felt overworked. "Bach never hurts", she likes to say. And it is true. So, if you are a bit hesistant on whether you should play or not, then try some Bach.

I have also experienced that trouble show up AFTER playing, not during playing. And well, I have knee athrosis, to make a parallel. Most of the time it is "calm" and does not bother me, but sometimes I get attacks with inflammation and pain and those periods are terrible. When is the pain the worst, you think? Yeah, in the night, when I'm in my soft, comfortable bed, resting! Then the pain attacks are awful and I have to take a lot of painkillers in order to get some sleep. But, of course, the origin of the pain is what I did earlier that day.

Headache and migraine work the same, I suppose you know that. You work hard and get tense and tired and it is all right, and then you finally get a day off and plan a relaxed day but in the morning - booom, you wake up with a terrible headache. How come? Well ... it is a typical "post stress syndrome". I believe you experience the same thing.

Good luck. And outin is right, it is good to stay in general shape. I should ...  ::)

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #49 on: July 21, 2015, 12:15:02 PM
"I spent most of the day repeating the same section over and over again...".
This is not the best thing one can do to learn a piece of music.
We must repeat a section - sometimes only a bar... - only along more or less 15 minutes.
After that, we must go to another music, if possible with another caracteristics.
After more or less 15 minutes of practice with the same thing, we gain nothing else.
There is a thing named PPI (past practice improvement): our gain occurs after and not during our practice. That`s why something difficult for us today turns less difficult the day after, after sleeping.
Also that`s why to study 2 or 3 or even 4 compositions, with periods of 15 minutes, each day is better than to insist in only one. You may wish to try this method. You`ll see how much you progress.
The same about exercises and studies, if you do them.
Best wishes
Rui
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert