Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: The first of his violin sonatas that Brahms didn’t burn  (Read 1170 times)

Offline arielpiano

• PS Silver Member
No. 1 Op. 78 in G major

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: The first of his violin sonatas that Brahms didn’t burn
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:04:10 AM
I enjoyed that very much.   I adore this sonata.  And you both really did it justice.  Your playing was understated, but at the same time so pianistic and importante, if you get what I mean,.  Your tone is beautiful, as always, with such a refined sense of the line and phrasing.  Sometimes I felt like your partner was a little too careful in his playing.   He seemed very involved in the beautiful notes that he forgot the direction.  Especially in the first movement with that luscious descending motif.  His sound is really beautiful, don't get me wrong.  But at times I lost the intensity.
Just a little thing in the second movement.  To make those dotted eighth notes less plodding, pedal the 16th note to the following dotted 8th.  When it's the same harmony, of course.
I felt the third movement a bit rushed.  MOlto moderato.  And the final page, especially.
But this was really a top performance from both of you.  Bravi!

Offline arielpiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: The first of his violin sonatas that Brahms didn’t burn
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:41:00 PM
Thank you for the kind and expert comments. Yes, one tends to rush toward the end... Not always easy to control the adrenaline.
We also have a recording of the Franck violin sonata, which I hope to be able to post soon.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert