Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Dawn Leaves - Original Song  (Read 1203 times)

Offline ikmatthijs

Dawn Leaves - Original Song
on: August 02, 2015, 11:56:58 AM
Hello,
here is a song I wrote recently, I would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks in advance :)

Offline dogperson

Re: Dawn Leaves - Original Song
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:55:59 PM
Hi, I am not a composer, but a few stray comments with the disclaimer that new age music is not my thing. Hope you will receive other feedback.  :)

Really like the melody and your variation in dynamics and style.  The chords at about 1.26 seem jarring and not fitting well with the section.  Around 2.2 there is a pianissimo section, followed immediately by forte-- consider a transition between the two or at least a crescendo at the end of the pianissimo. 

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:32:41 PM

you are reading it

usually by the time I am at the stage where I will put in Finale  I can play it with my eyes closed because I have spent so much time messing with it at the piano.

did you compose this completely on your pc and you are reading along?  

nothing wrong with that at all...it is still composing in every sense of the word.   it's just when you compose at the piano you don't have to read it back ...usually..  plus everything is already worked out...fingering, dynamics, phrasing... those all developed as you sat and played it before you wrote it down.  You also don't have to count the beats.

The song itself is great... but your focus on the sheets is a bit distracting to both the eyes and the ears

Offline ikmatthijs

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:34:25 AM
Thank you both for taking the time to listen and reply!

@dogperson, I agree with the part at 2.2, I think a crescendo will work. I am going to keep the chords at 1:26, I am playing them a little vaguely/unsure, (which is only a part of why they sound jarring I know)

@dcstudio, I composed it partly on the computer, when composing I usually go back and forth between the computer and piano, for me it's easier to come up with a melody when behind a piano, but I fnd giving the song a structure is easier on the pc. I should learn to play the song by heart, I am definitely going to practice it till I can, and also make some changes.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 03:56:46 PM
am definitely going to practice it till I can, and also make some changes.

that's when you write the music -- that's when the mojo happens...

and it's all yours...because only you can play it like you... 

those patterns you are using will evolve and develop into something so familiar that you will play them perfectly every single time...  on any piano--and no matter how many people are there.

if you can learn to think of the classical stuff you play--the same way you think about this stuff...

Look out....   

Offline asiantraveller101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 05:41:38 PM
Do you publish your work? Where can I get a copy of this piece?
Thanks. Lovely piece, with great development and movement. I actually like the "jarring" chords.
Congratulations.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert