Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Benefits of Atheism  (Read 4125 times)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Benefits of Atheism
Reply #50 on: August 04, 2015, 11:59:02 PM
Yes, when I read them, it was in context.
But you've completely flipped from
. I believe that everything stated in the Bible is absolutely true for everyone. 
to "It was the context of the time". Yes, it was, which is why it is basically irrelevant today.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: August 05, 2015, 12:04:19 AM
Yes, when I read them, it was in context.
But you've completely flipped from to "It was the context of the time". Yes, it was, which is why it is basically irrelevant today.

Everyone living  ::)

You've completely flipped also. My post was in response to "What's true for me is not true for you" and now we're talking about time. Maybe I should have clarified that. What was true for one Israelite was also true for another AT that time.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: August 06, 2015, 11:10:36 AM
We have got to get an 'ignore user' function started. These forums would be so much nicer without having to read pencilart3's annoying user posts.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: August 06, 2015, 11:41:20 AM
The fact is, though, he's only answering and disputing the last post.  If no one posted anything, the thread would expire.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: August 06, 2015, 06:23:15 PM
lol chopinlover is responding to mine also, it's just that nobody agrees with me and everyone agrees with him!  ;D
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline stevensk

Reply #55 on: August 06, 2015, 06:40:43 PM

What are the benefits of atheism? Religious people can posit what they guess may be the benefits if they wish. Jokes are welcome too.

I'll start.

Benefit Number one: Free Sundays.

-Well, im a pianist and a cantor (precentor? is that the right word?) and i am an ATHEIST, -you can imagine my situation  :P I have no free sundays but i am payed for sundays. That says it all, strange...yes

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: August 06, 2015, 07:58:50 PM
-Well, im a pianist and a cantor (precentor? is that the right word?) and i am an ATHEIST, -you can imagine my situation  :P I have no free sundays but i am payed for sundays. That says it all, strange...yes

I am not an atheist but as a liberal Christian I am considered to be one by the more conservative denominations.

So like you I've been paid to play piano and organ for churches that were horrified by my beliefs.

It rarely caused any trouble, but there was one incident.  I was playing for a generic Protestant military service and the current chaplain (they rotate) was hardcore Baptist.  By custom if there was no volunteer for an offertory solo I would provide something while the ushers collected the offerings.  Do you happen to know the Anglican Psalm Tone S415?  It's the typical type of psalm tone where you change chords on the accented syllables of each line, and I was singing the Arise Shine from Isaiah.

Apparently it was too papal for the pastor.  He stood there in stunned shock as I sang a couple lines, then stomped over to the organ and yelled "that's enough of that.  Play Doxology, now!"  Hee, hee.  The ushers were only a third of the way down the church aisle but I played Old 100 for them. 
Tim

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: August 06, 2015, 09:28:44 PM
Everyone living  ::)

You've completely flipped also. My post was in response to "What's true for me is not true for you" and now we're talking about time. Maybe I should have clarified that. What was true for one Israelite was also true for another AT that time.
Then you agree that the verses in Leviticus are irrelevant, yes?
Then why do you have an issue with gay rights because of the passages in Leviticus?

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: August 06, 2015, 09:33:50 PM
Because ceremonial law, moral law, and judicial law are not all the same thing.

https://www.gotquestions.org/ceremonial-law.html

Offline bachrach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 11:19:20 PM
Benefits of being an atheist:

Being able to think freely and use the scientific method to discover things about the universe. Not having to throw the scientific results out the window because they disagree with your beliefs.

Religion really is a thorn in the side of science.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: August 12, 2015, 11:55:05 PM
Because ceremonial law, moral law, and judicial law are not all the same thing.

https://www.gotquestions.org/ceremonial-law.html
And the homosexuality passages are not "moral".
Also, none of that applies today. You're simply cherry picking.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: August 13, 2015, 01:50:19 AM
An atheist can make up his own mind whether to be prochoice or prolife.  That's an advantage.

The Bible is fine with abortion so it's not so simple for the Christian.

(Moses orders women suspected of unfaithfulness to go to a priest and be forced to take the abortion pill.  If it turns out she was faithful after all it doesn't hurt her but if she was a slut it will make her "miscarry." )

Also in OT law if you injured a pregnant woman and killed her, you were guilty of murder, but if you caused a miscarriage it was just a misdemeanor and you paid a small fine.  Clear evidence the Bible did not consider abortion to be killing. 
Tim

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: August 18, 2015, 05:59:17 AM
Benefit of Atheism- you don't have to depend on an omnipotent being to tell you that you're worthy, nor do you have to listen to the pastors criticize you about how much of a sinner you are.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: August 18, 2015, 09:37:35 AM
Benefit of Atheism- you don't have to depend on an omnipotent being to tell you that you're worthy, nor do you have to listen to the pastors criticize you about how much of a sinner you are.

;D

(Some say my belligerence is charming...)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: August 18, 2015, 11:18:53 PM
"Your belligerence is charming~
There, I said it ;)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: August 19, 2015, 10:29:20 AM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert