Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bach Partita Number 1: Trills in the prelude  (Read 2936 times)

Offline scandenavius

• PS Silver Member
Bach Partita Number 1: Trills in the prelude
on: August 14, 2015, 02:37:06 PM
I just started working the prelude from bach's partita no. 1 in b flat major. I'm wondering what would be the best way to work on executing the fast trills. any unique fingering suggestions that might make it easier or practice tips ?

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach Partita Number 1: Trills in the prelude
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:10:52 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:39:35 PM
I think the important thing about those trills in the prelude is that they all have to sound the same; they are a key element of the theme. So look through it and find the most difficult one. Based on the tempo you are aiming at and the awkwardness of the most difficult spot where the trill occurs, decide how many repetitions you are going to use in those trills. Then go back and work out the fingerings. When I learned that piece I just did 4 note trills and fingered them, for example, 3232. Since then, my teacher has convinced me that wherever possible it's better to use alternate fingers within a trill, so you might do 3132 for a four note trill. And when you have enough free fingers in a hand to do that, I do think it works nicely.

Offline gustaaavo

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:15:37 PM
Tureck's interpretation of the trill (as a sextuplet including the following notes, A and B (CBCBAB)) is quite interesting:

As for lack of loyalty to the score, I think no one plays the trill in one 32nd note (it is mostly the trill and the next note, that's 5 notes normally, in a 16th). So, unless there's here a notational convention from the baroque that I don't know of, nobody is being 100% accurate with regards to the score. With this in mind, Tureck's solution seems pretty reasonable and, for me at least, it works beautifully.

There is one exception though, Nikolayeva, but I don't understand how she does it. It appears to be something as a grace note sometimes and others as an inhumanly fast trill. The important thing is that one can hear the actual melody as written (B-BAB-C...) rythmically.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert