Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Op.62 No.1  (Read 2294 times)

Offline kevonthegreatpianist

Chopin Op.62 No.1
on: August 16, 2015, 04:20:40 AM
I pretty much can sightread the whole thing, but I'm stuck at the part with the descending thrills, like the part in the 55/2 and Beethoven's Op.106. How do you master that part?
I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Op.62 No.1
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:50:25 PM
Wow; one of my favorite nocturnes!

I'm not 100% familiar with the score, but I assume you're talking about the 5 minute mark in this recording:

As Chopin himself said, "Suppleness above all," so make sure your wrist is reasonably flexible, so you can transition from one note of the melody to the next. It helps a lot as well to not lift the fingers to high when trilling- it's also unnecessary for the "musical effect" in this section. The arm shouldn't play much of a role either, but it should still be relaxed to help carry the hand to the next note/trill.
I agree with the edition in that video as well; use 1 to highlight the melody, then switch to 2-3 for the trill (or 2-4 if that's more comfortable for you/if 2-3 gets frustrating).

Offline kevonthegreatpianist

Re: Chopin Op.62 No.1
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:30:36 AM
Wow; one of my favorite nocturnes!

I'm not 100% familiar with the score, but I assume you're talking about the 5 minute mark in this recording:

As Chopin himself said, "Suppleness above all," so make sure your wrist is reasonably flexible, so you can transition from one note of the melody to the next. It helps a lot as well to not lift the fingers to high when trilling- it's also unnecessary for the "musical effect" in this section. The arm shouldn't play much of a role either, but it should still be relaxed to help carry the hand to the next note/trill.
I agree with the edition in that video as well; use 1 to highlight the melody, then switch to 2-3 for the trill (or 2-4 if that's more comfortable for you/if 2-3 gets frustrating).
48/2 and 62/2 are my fav
I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert