Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Pencilart3's composition: Prelude in D flat  (Read 1397 times)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Pencilart3's composition: Prelude in D flat
on: August 26, 2015, 05:36:27 AM
I'm naming this autumn because I wrote it earlier today to welcome autumn this year, it's my favorite season!!

At the beginning, it is supposed to resemble a leaf falling to the ground. Then we have a nice mixture of summer and winter and the transition from one to the other in vibrant color. Enjoy :)

You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline deandeblock

Re: Pencilart3's composition: Prelude in D flat
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 06:51:45 AM
Very nice and great playing!

sounds a bit chopinesque
work hard, play hard

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:59:25 PM
Very nice and great playing!

sounds a bit chopinesque

Thanks deandeblock! That is a great compliment to me that I don't think I'm worthy of :) But I guess it would make sense seeing as I listen to him 24/7/365!  ;D
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 04:35:36 PM
That is a lovely opening theme… 
Just an idea, i was curious to hear how you might follow it with a secondary theme…
  If you think this is a good idea to try out, you might save the rh flourishes (or make them a little less wordy) for later - on the return (should you choose) of the theme..
 Nice job, Noah
4'33"

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 04:51:20 PM
That is a lovely opening theme… 
Just an idea, i was curious to hear how you might follow it with a secondary theme…
  If you think this is a good idea to try out, you might save the rh flourishes (or make them a little less wordy) for later - on the return (should you choose) of the theme..
 Nice job, Noah

Hmmm... now there's a good idea! I didn't think about that, thanks for the tip. I don't know if I can come up with another melody though, that doesn't come very easily for me.  :-\

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:06:18 PM
Your use of the F7 chord (the second chord employed) -- which you return to a few times can be used as a harmonic transition.. For instance, one obvious choice  (there are definitely others) would be to follow that F7 (perhaps as you start the theme for the 3rd time) with a Bflat chord- perhaps with a D natural in the melody, (maybe the bass playing F), and see where that takes you melodically… Just an idea..
4'33"

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 05:13:06 PM
Your use of the F7 chord (the second chord employed) -- which you return to a few times can be used as a harmonic transition.. For instance, one obvious choice  (there are definitely others) would be to follow that F7 (perhaps as you start the theme for the 3rd time) with a Bflat chord- perhaps with a D natural in the melody, (maybe the bass playing F), and see where that takes you melodically… Just an idea..

Yes, that could work. It sounds kind of standard, like you can see it coming, just sort of. I'm not sure  of what, specifically, but it would be fun to pull out an unexpected new 7th chord and then plunge into a minor section, IDK, just thinking with my computer keys.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:20:21 PM
Yes, it is the more obvious chord..I just was hoping to get the ball rolling.. (The D natural however is a nice foil against the key signature of D flat… ) Yes, i would definitely experiment with other chords.. good luck!
4'33"

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 05:54:26 PM
Yes, it is the more obvious chord..I just was hoping to get the ball rolling.. (The D natural however is a nice foil against the key signature of D flat… ) Yes, i would definitely experiment with other chords.. good luck!

Thanks theme! The ball is rolling. ;D

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:20 PM
Hi Noah. Great job! Lots of beautiful moments and a nice sense of direction. I really enjoyed it. A lot of nice ideas here.

A couple of thoughts

1 - I think you could have developed it more. The material was good so it deserved more attention. However, I understand that you might have wanted to keep it short since its a prelude.

2 - I felt that the embellishments on the melodic material were a bit contrived/forced. They didn't add to the melody but rather covered it up in my opinion. Think about it like this: A cake is bland without frosting (USUALLY). A good, high quality frosting (like buttercream haha) ENHANCES the overall experience in eating the cake. The cake and frosting become one, essentially. But with a lame, artificial-esque frosting; the cake kind of just gets drowned in it. The frosting is now a cheap additive rather than an essential part to the cake's success. This is how I felt with your runs on the melody. They didn't extend the melodic idea but rather drowned it out.

Conclusion: You have a real talent for this, Noah! I hope these comments don't discourage you. Please, keep composing and creating beauty for the world. We're kind of low on it ;). I'm looking forward to your next piece!

- AJ

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 08:14:40 PM
AJ, thanks for all your help! Seeing as it is coming from a very talented composer, I will consider each word carefully.  ;D I am a complete composing noob as this is my first composition attempt. I will try to apply your tips to this piece as well as future ones!

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 08:21:17 PM
No problem! I'll get back to you on your Op.10 No.5 soon.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert