Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Hanon  (Read 1634 times)

Offline evryali

Hanon
on: August 29, 2015, 05:06:06 AM
I mastered the first half of the Hanon exercises within 4 days at 140 bpm is this good or bad.
my best pieces
Islamey
Wtc prelude and fugue no.16
Chopin nocturnes op.48

Offline evryali

Re: Hanon
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 05:42:33 AM
sorry I meant first half of book one.
my best pieces
Islamey
Chopin nocturnes op.48

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 06:33:07 AM
Congrats.
Do you want a real tip?
Drop Hanon.
To answer your question, it's almost certainly not a bad thing. Not necessarily good, though, because Hanon often teaches bad habits for people who don't know what they're doing.

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 06:55:03 AM
If you mastered them at that speed that means you definitely did not get that bad habit of rising fingers high which prevents from playing fast. So it is a good thing.
I think the second half contains more interesting and difficult exercises like playing smooth 4, 1 and 5, 1 transitions. There are scale exercises but I skipped them since I play scales every day anyways. There are also some good exercises for double thirds, sixths, etc. So I think the second half is more interesting.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline evryali

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:20:21 AM
Congrats.
Do you want a real tip?
Drop Hanon.
To answer your question, it's almost certainly not a bad thing. Not necessarily good, though, because Hanon often teaches bad habits for people who don't know what they're doing.
I'm pretty sure I know what i'm doing. ;D
my best pieces
Islamey
Chopin nocturnes op.48

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 06:40:13 AM
If you're playing the pieces in your signature, what the bloody hell are you trying to get by playing hanon at this point as anything other than a daily warm-up?

Offline evryali

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 07:00:11 AM
My teacher is gone for two weeks out of state doing only god know what and for some reason I was told get through the first book by the time I get back and if you finish try exercises 1-5 for book two they knows more than me so i'm gonna learn it.
my best pieces
Islamey
Chopin nocturnes op.48

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 01:43:39 PM
Only now I noticed the pieces you play in your signature and it sounds strange to start Hanon at this stage ::)  Myself, I did some Hanon when I came back to piano after years of not playing and my fingers were kind of weak.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 05:19:56 PM
Well, due to the nature of this thread, I'm going to have to put myself out there in the "I don't believe you're playing what you say you are" club for evryali.. Unless he's posted some recordings.
IIRC there's a group about me in that club too..

Offline mrnhrtkmp210999

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:07:36 AM
Hanon = Garbage  ;)

BW,
Marijn
Recently finished:

Bach: Art of Fugue - Contrapunctus 2, 4, 8, 9,
Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 31 in A-flat, Op. 110
Chopin: Ballade in F major, Op. 38
Brahms: Piano Concerto in D minor - First

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 02:32:58 AM
I mastered the first half of the Hanon exercises within 4 days at 140 bpm is this good or bad.

It is good you are practicing. If you want good or bad opinion for your mastery of Hanon, you will need to post a recording.  I am sure the crowd would love to hear it

Offline mrnhrtkmp210999

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 07:42:08 AM
You should stop doing Hanon exercises.

There is no worse thing to devote your practicing time to. Piano exercises should not be done in order to acquire a better 'tecnnique', since technique is not something that begins at level 1 when you play the piano and can improve through different levels. Technique simply defines what is needed in order to play a certain piece or passage.

The right way, however, to acquire the technique that is needed to play that certain piece or passage, is by playing through it, see where you make mistakes, look for the reason that you make those mistakes and then come up with a solution to overcome those mistakes. That process is something a teacher should help you with (if you have one) or you could ask the members on pianostreet.

BW,
Marijn
Recently finished:

Bach: Art of Fugue - Contrapunctus 2, 4, 8, 9,
Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 31 in A-flat, Op. 110
Chopin: Ballade in F major, Op. 38
Brahms: Piano Concerto in D minor - First
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert