Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Confusion over terms in Invention / Sinfonia / Fugue  (Read 2070 times)

Offline domain4325

Confusion over terms in Invention / Sinfonia / Fugue
on: August 31, 2015, 12:21:20 AM
I'm currently working on Bach's Invention & Sinfonia as well as his Prelude & Fugues which led me to a great confusion! Mostly on its terms and meaning.

1) Apparently, the term contrapuntal and counterpoint is different. Counterpoint refers to the harmony, regardless of whether it holds an independent melody line. Contrapuntal on the other hand refers to 2 or more melody. So if that's the case, can I say contrapuntal and polyphony are basically interchangeable words with the same meaning?

2) The analysis that is done of the fugue, e.g. identifying the exposition, development etc, subject, countersubject, false subject, tonal / real answer. Could we also use these terms on a sinfonia? And maybe to stretch it a little more, in the inventions? Or do I only stick to the word, theme in describing the main motif.

Could anyone help me out?

A really sweet thank you to all  ;D

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Confusion over terms in Invention / Sinfonia / Fugue
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:36:41 AM
1) wouldn't quite agree - there's no counterpoint in homophony.

2) use sonata form terms for non-fugue pieces though in Bach some fugue terms may be applicable.  It's very enlightening (and fun) to see how Bach's forms and sonata form compare.

Addendum on contrapuntal or counterpoint: When this word first appeared in (Latin) theory around 1300, it designated note-against-note writing which we might call homophonic today (I emphasize "might" because this style usually had melodic interest in each part, rather than a main line and accompaniment) as opposed to what was then the more typical polyphonic style. Today, the meaning of contrapuntal is virtually reversed: It indicates a polyphonic texture, often with rhythmic independence. This is only one of the ironies which can continue to cause confusion in the use of these terms for music of different eras.

B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Confusion over terms in Invention / Sinfonia / Fugue
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 08:54:25 AM
I'm currently working on Bach's Invention & Sinfonia as well as his Prelude & Fugues which led me to a great confusion! Mostly on its terms and meaning.

1) Apparently, the term contrapuntal and counterpoint is different. Counterpoint refers to the harmony, regardless of whether it holds an independent melody line. Contrapuntal on the other hand refers to 2 or more melody. So if that's the case, can I say contrapuntal and polyphony are basically interchangeable words with the same meaning?

2) The analysis that is done of the fugue, e.g. identifying the exposition, development etc, subject, countersubject, false subject, tonal / real answer. Could we also use these terms on a sinfonia? And maybe to stretch it a little more, in the inventions? Or do I only stick to the word, theme in describing the main motif.

Could anyone help me out?

A really sweet thank you to all  ;D

Counterpoint is a noun, and contrapuntal is an adjective. Contrapuntal music contains counterpoint. Music that contains counterpoint is contrapuntal.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert