Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms's Händel Variations  (Read 1144 times)

Offline arielpiano

• PS Silver Member
Brahms's Händel Variations
on: September 11, 2015, 01:36:31 PM
Here is a really fun piece to play:

Brahms at 28, full of zest and energy (dedicated to Clara).
From a recital at the Mill Hill Music Club in London, last Sunday.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms's Händel Variations
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 05:02:33 AM
I'm not sure why nobody has replied to this post; maybe it's b/c this is such a monumental work and it's hard to listen to all the way. Like the rest of your playing, this is a very professional, mature piece; it is amazing how you learn such large-scale works like these variations, Gaspard, Schubert D960... you clearly have spent a lot of time on it! The "energy" you described comes out very well. Your playing is organized but still has a lot of flexibility (e.g. Var 1) & emotional richness (throughout). I might have lost focus in Var. 9- a sense of where the music is "going" (but maybe that's just the nature of the variation; don't take this to heart too much! Especially if you know what you're doing... plus, I am younger than you by so much).

I skipped to the fugue after listening about halfway through the piece. I liked how you made "sense" of the constant modulations, so that formed a coherent work. I could hear the motif/subject throughout and it was a great feeling to hear it come back triumphantly in Bb :P (Just curious, by the way, how many voices are in this fugue? It doesn't seem like a fugue written in the style of, say, Bach or Handel himself...)

Anyway this was a great listening experience; I thoroughly enjoyed your playing!

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms's Händel Variations
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:24:52 AM
Hello Ariel,

When I saw piece was 28 minutes long decided to postpone listening to it over a week ago.
Finally did this morning .... I was surprised, quite enjoyable all throughout the 28 minutes! 
Excellent playing as usual. Thanks for posting. :)
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert