Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Easy question: Czerny - School Of Velocity - Op. 299 No. 3  (Read 1522 times)

Offline pty1196

I am playing this piece and have difficulty in bar 9, 11, 13 (left hand).

Music score:
https://musescore.com/user/37774/scores/55817#

For example, in bar 9, my finger is 2-4 for first chord and 2-4 for second chord.
I have trouble making an octave jump.
For these bar, my piano teacher told me to practice by not looking at piano keys.

Could you please advice me how to practice these bars?

Thanks.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Easy question: Czerny - School Of Velocity - Op. 299 No. 3
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:59:31 AM
I am playing this piece and have difficulty in bar 9, 11, 13 (left hand).

Music score:
https://musescore.com/user/37774/scores/55817#

For example, in bar 9, my finger is 2-4 for first chord and 2-4 for second chord.
I have trouble making an octave jump.
For these bar, my piano teacher told me to practice by not looking at piano keys.

Could you please advice me how to practice these bars?

Thanks.

You really should ask your teacher such questions, that's why you have one.

And if all the advice you get really is not looking at the keys, get a new one asap.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: Easy question: Czerny - School Of Velocity - Op. 299 No. 3
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:28:46 AM
Thought i'd try respond something constructive.

Looking at bars 9-11-13 are these the runs you're talking about in the left hand? Bit confused about the chords and octave jumps you're referring too.

If it's the octave runs i'd play them 5-4-2-1 and continue moving up. Also just to clarify in Bar 9 - you play the 2nd run twice (1st time indicated by the bass clef, 2nd time indicated by the treble clef) you're not jumping from one E to another E. (Maybe i'm misunderstanding your question)

Anyway play it slowly until it feels comfortable with both hands and work out at what point you struggle and take particular time on that. And yeah I'd agree with your teacher with regards to not looking at the keys but again to clarify; you shouldn't need to watch the left hand for this part you should be able to look at the right to make that jump easily without worrying what the left hand is doing as it's all the same.

I assume if you've gotten this far you've probably just been watching the left hand to make sure you hit the chords while your right hand plays away without you worrying too much - just learn to switch that around there will often be circumstances where you need to do this.

Hope that helps.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert