Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: right shoulder pain  (Read 2929 times)

Offline tbt

• PS Silver Member
right shoulder pain
on: September 16, 2015, 12:51:03 PM
Hi

I have been having right shoulder pain after playing piano for about an hour. The pain occurs at the back of my right shoulder but does not occur on my left shoulder. I do not play demanding pieces but practice only those from the book 'piano pieces for children'. Could I be doing something wrong in my sitting posture, playing, practicing etc. Any advice greatly appreciated as I wish to practice for more than one hour. Has this problem occurred to anyone else and if so how can it be avoided.

Thanks
tbt

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: right shoulder pain
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 02:24:49 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:13:21 PM
I had this for years and always ignored it. Then one day, for no particular reason, I experimented with lowering the piano stool a little at a time (it was a very long day at the piano). By the evening I had it at lowest setting and felt completely comfortable with no shoulder pain at all. I now sit lower than almost any other pianist I've seen and can apparently play indefinitely without discomfort. FWIW.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline tbt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 12:05:34 AM
Hi

I practice for an hour each day and since I am returning back to the piano after some time this pain started as soon as I started my practice sessions. I could take your suggestion and practice for 20 minutes then rest a little and start all over again and see how things goes.

Thanks
tbt
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert