Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: (not expensive) music history book rec  (Read 1572 times)

Offline sandracb

• PS Silver Member
(not expensive) music history book rec
on: September 17, 2015, 12:51:37 PM
Hi everyone,

My eldest son (he's 11) is just starting up piano lessons, he sort of messed around for fun the last few years but really got into it this year. He's working on RCM grade 1 material now but he's very cerebral and loves the why's and how's.

I wanted to know if anyone has any rec's for a music history textbook that isn't too pricey. When I was a kid I took all the RCM theory/history and we used Enjoyment of Music for our text. Unfortunately I can't find my old copy and the new one is $180!!!!!

I'd like to find something similar just for him to read up on the history of western music for fun for now. Would appreciate some recommendations! Thanks!!
Current repertoire:
ARCT program (Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Rach, Barber, Mendelssohn), plus Schumann's Papillons, Scarlatti, and Czerny op 740

My pianos: Kawai BL-51 (50"), Kawai RX-2 Conservatory

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: (not expensive) music history book rec
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 01:15:28 PM
hmm i am only familiar w/ the standard history of western music texts we used in  music school, it's big, pricey, and requires a pretty good grasp of theory to really appreciate it. however there is a concise one you might look at, you can find the old edition for less than 50
look for the  2009 one.
ISBN-10: 0393932516
ISBN-13: 9780393932515
Publisher:
Norton & Company, Incorporated, W. W.
736 pages
Edition: 4
Language: English

this kind of stuff is best bought used.
also this one is cheap
idiots guide to mh
Format: Paperback
ISBN-10: 1592577512
ISBN-13: 9781592577514
Publisher:
Penguin Publishing Group
304 pages
Grade: From 12 to up
Language: English
Synopsis
A beautifully composed journey through music history Music history is a required course for all music students. Unfortunately, the typical music history book is dry and academic, focusing on rote memorization of important composers and works. This leads many to think that the topic is boring, but bestselling author Michael Miller proves that isn t so. This guide makes music history interesting and fun, for both music students and older music lovers. Covers more than Western classical music also includes non-Western music and uniquely American forms such as jazz More than just names and dates puts musical developments in context with key historical events", A beautifully composed journey through music history! Music history is a required course for all music students. Unfortunately, the typical music history book is dry and academic, focusing on rote memorization of important composers and works. This leads many to think that the topic is boring, but bestselling author Michael Miller proves that isn't so. This guide makes music history interesting and fun, for both music students and older music lovers. " Covers more than Western 'classical' music'also includes non-Western music and uniquely American forms such as jazz " More than just names and dates'puts musical developments in context with key historical events, Music history is a required course for all music students. Unfortunately, the typical music history book is dry and academic, focusing on rote memorization of important composers and works. This leads many to think that the topic is boring, but that isn't necessarily so. As he did with The Complete Idiot's Guide rm to Music Theory , best-selling author Michael Miller makes music history interesting and fun, for both music students and older music lovers. In The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music History , readers will find: Important composers and musical styles from the dawn of time through the modern era. Both classical and popular music - including the 20th century's greatest popular songwriters. The evolution of music as a continual historical flow. Examples of the most important musical works throughout history.

Offline sandracb

• PS Silver Member
Re: (not expensive) music history book rec
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:17:02 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out. :)

Unfortunately 'textbooks' come with a textbook price, that's for sure! Grrr! I wish I could find my old book!!

The public library lists a few copies of Enjoyment but they're all out. Sigh.
Current repertoire:
ARCT program (Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Rach, Barber, Mendelssohn), plus Schumann's Papillons, Scarlatti, and Czerny op 740

My pianos: Kawai BL-51 (50"), Kawai RX-2 Conservatory

Offline dogperson

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert