Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Overfinger Issue - Can you play Chopin's Sunshine etude RH smoothly?  (Read 1697 times)

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
I posted about my underthumb issue, but I also have to opposite problem, the overfinger issue.

Just from the first bar, getting the 4th finger with a fluid motion seems awkward and breaks the flow. What's your experience with it?

Ref : Chopin etude Op10 No8

Any answer helps, I wanna get to the core of this
Horowitz - Danse Macabre / Carmen variatons
Chopin - Polonaise in A flat Major + Etudes
Liszt - Liebestraum #3
Beethoven - Moonlight 3rd movement

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Yeah I've seen Paul Barton tutorial, it doesn't really help, Im not very comfortable with his approach.

But I learn so much form Chopin Etudes, I use them as warm up exercises, and I think it was basically the point of it, right. Op10 No1 has helped so much to get right hand flexibility, and same with the Op10 No12 for the left hand. They might but hard at first, but definitely doable.

You're right tho, I should relearn some stuff, cause I have problems mostly on the pieces I've learned earlier.

What are you into these days, what moves you?
Liszt - Liebestraum #3

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
That sounds like a lot of motivation and limitations at the same time right here.

I'm proferssional, but piano is just a thing I started doin at 33, and I'm 35 now. I'm mainly a songwriter/singer/whatever instruments need to be played for the rendering.

Goin with a inspiration from a piece I found is best. First song I learned was Moonlight sonata, but then I haven't realized there was other movements, so I started to tackle the 3rd movement, after 2 weeks of playing piano, why not? But then halfway I realized I really want to play Liebestraum from Franz Listz, so, that's the second song I learned, an the 3rd one was a arrangement by Horowitz. I never cared that I didn't have the skills, the knowledge, a teacher, or not knowing anybody playing piano, it just felt right.

So yeah, like you said, just a matter of perspective. I like to start with a vision of an end performance, and just work till I'm able to produce that. Being a musician before hand might have surely helped, and even starting off my music life as a drummer helped even more, cause I got the rhythm embedded in me now.

I'd rather practice on a Chopin etude I really like, and make my micro etudes of this piece as drills, rather than aimlessly play Hanon or whatever, cause every piece you learn has it's own challenges, right? Even Martha Argerich said she never did any drills or scales.

Regarding Horowitz, I've spent months on the same 2 bars. Why? I dunno, I just need to crack it

Liszt - Liebestraum #3

WORK IN PROGRESS
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert