Piano Forum

Topic: Panel Discussion: What is Musical Maturity?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline kypiano

Panel Discussion: What is Musical Maturity?
on: September 18, 2015, 10:17:34 PM
Hi all,
      I was listening to some amazing recordings the other day, and I was wondering, what is musical maturity? Where does it come from? Is it from age? Experience? Or is it something else? Also, what can influence musical maturity? What are some other factors?

Here's some amazingly mature vids to get your brain juices flowing:

Offline kevonthegreatpianist

Re: Panel Discussion: What is Musical Maturity?
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 02:57:08 AM
nah its from me. always

i don't actually know really. its not the age, because thats prejudice, like judging a book by how it looks or judging how a person by how rich he/she is. its probably how much he/she played an instrument,  and how MUCH he/she has played. I've once read a book saying you need your total amount to be 10K hours. bill gates was a pro at programming (i think) because he programmed well over 10K hours, even though at his time, a computer was as big as a bedroom (b!tch now we have 5K displays which are less than a millimeter thick) so it's mostly HOW MUCH a instrumentalist has played
I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.

Offline kypiano

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 03:16:40 AM
nah its from me. always

i don't actually know really. its not the age, because thats prejudice, like judging a book by how it looks or judging how a person by how rich he/she is. its probably how much he/she played an instrument,  and how MUCH he/she has played. I've once read a book saying you need your total amount to be 10K hours. bill gates was a pro at programming (i think) because he programmed well over 10K hours, even though at his time, a computer was as big as a bedroom (b!tch now we have 5K displays which are less than a millimeter thick) so it's mostly HOW MUCH a instrumentalist has played

poke

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 05:36:42 AM
Must be many things...Age is often a factor too, since it's a bit difficult to be mature in music if one is very immature in every other aspect of life. Not impossible I guess.

One thing is that one has stopped obsessing about technical difficulties and about being able to play difficult music. Instead one concentrates on finding the essence of whatever music one plays.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 02:59:38 PM
Must be many things...Age is often a factor too, since it's a bit difficult to be mature in music if one is very immature in every other aspect of life. Not impossible I guess.

One thing is that one has stopped obsessing about technical difficulties and about being able to play difficult music. Instead one concentrates on finding the essence of whatever music one plays.

Even Bach?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 03:12:34 PM
Even Bach?

Yes, it's believed to be in there somewhere :)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 03:13:21 PM
Yes, it's believed to be in there somewhere :)

O'er the rainbow ::)

Offline kevonthegreatpianist

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 10:14:21 PM
O'er the rainbow ::)
into a nuclear plant  ;D
I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 05:48:45 AM
I see it as the musical equivalent of Jung's individuation, an understanding of oneself with respect to music. It is not the same as having either experience or ability, and certainly has nothing to do with being closed or static in musical ways and means. Indeed, its outward manifestation can quite easily be taken as demonstrating the exact opposite of maturity as the word is commonly understood. Overall, I think it is a strictly internal perception of oneself, not necessarily discernible by other people at all. I tend to avoid the word in relation to music, it being too vague a term to carry much meaning.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert