Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Sight reading doctor  (Read 1335 times)

Offline mapleleafthebard

Sight reading doctor
on: October 01, 2015, 01:33:01 PM
Hello everyone,

Hope you're all having a great day.

I am a piano teacher currently putting together a course to help students dramatically improve their sight reading, as I understand this has been a challenge for many; myself included!

This would take the form of a manual with plenty of test pieces and additional tips, plus an instructional DVD for demonstration.

Right now I am trying to gauge interest on this before I go ahead and put the design into its final stages. So, who's interested?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sight reading doctor
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:20:23 PM
you mean something that works better than practicing sight reading by sight reading music? I always got better at reading by reading more, so opening a fresh hymn for good 4 part reading, and also working on say playing through a bunch of sonatinas or Bach works always did wonders. Not sure what a course would do given that the bread and butter of such an approach can be had by just actually sitting down and trying to sight read, over , and over, and over again.

Offline mapleleafthebard

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 08:29:43 AM
You make a good point. Certainly this is how I learned myself, though I find some need a confidence lift and this would have made easy steps to help that.

Still, I am determined to do something to help make the student pianist's life easier, so if sight reading assistance is not useful, what is?

What are you struggling with today?

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 02:20:28 PM

this forum is reeling from some serious trolling as of late...  you are new.   I see that your intentions are good...but folks here are a bit stand-offish with this kind of thing.  Perhaps a video of your playing or a link to a website....something concrete might help.  So many come through here trying to pose as something they are not and make claims they cannot substantiate.  I don't mean to suggest that you are at all...just why you are not getting the response you anticipated.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 06:07:49 AM
I think you may have under thought this. The ability to sight-read depends on SEVERAL aspects, starting from the easiest:

The ability to read, and play the notes quickly - first knowing the clefs separately, then being able to read both clefs at the same time.

The ability to understand the rhythm - first knowing the basic beats, then the subdivision of beats, then the ability to understand and play both rhythms in each hand.

The ability to keep your eyes on the music and to play without looking at the keyboard.

The ability to not just play without looking at the keyboard, but to also try and look ahead on the music.

They're the 4 basic principles I see in being an excellent sight-reader. To try and condense them into a DVD...

The problem is that some students have particular weaknesses and a DVD won't be able to address each particular student.

Offline yewtree

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 02:54:57 PM
 Is the sight reading doctor  DVD  Free?

:)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert