Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: First Try Chopin Scherzo no.3  (Read 1622 times)

Offline daniele1234

First Try Chopin Scherzo no.3
on: October 04, 2015, 08:02:27 PM
Hello, everyone. First of all, I am relatively new to this forum so I apologise for any mistakes or anything I do that is wrong as it is purely accidental. Anyway, I am 13 years old and I have just been learning Chopin Scherzo no.3 for about 3 weeks now as I am preparing it for a concert in about 2 weeks. This afternoon, while having my lesson I made a recording of my playing but (be aware!) as this is one of the first times I have actually played the piece through as a whole and so it is still in the preparation stages. There are quite a few technical mistakes and memory lapses in the recording I know but I just thought I would share with the you my (not too good) version of the Chopin Scherzo no.3 so far. Thank you

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Oct%2C%2004%2019_00_29.wav?_subject_uid=436613090&w=AACPeRRoHZIR0MD4hR4rHeeHLLkbeF2JaELqA0wKoohoOg
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Franck Prelude, Chorale and Fugue
- Xenakis Herma

Offline daniele1234

Re: First Try Chopin Scherzo no.3
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:40:14 PM
anyone?
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 07:22:02 PM
Hi Daniele, I'll listen to this and get back to you in awhile :). So sorry that no one has responded!

Offline daniele1234

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:36:57 PM
@ajlongspiano: Thank you so much. I really appreciate it
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:53:49 PM
Is the concert on the anniversary of Chopin's death?

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:57:39 PM
May you upload the file here and not on drop box? I can't access it

Offline daniele1234

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:33:08 AM
Sorry but how exactly would I do that? Is there a way I can change the file (.wav) on dropbox into something that you re able to hear.
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma

Offline daniele1234

Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 06:35:22 AM
I have shared it on dropbox with everyone now so if you try the link again it should work
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma

Offline daniele1234

Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 06:38:51 AM
Sorry but I am going to school now so I might not be able to reply until a bit later. Sorry
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma

Offline daniele1234

Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 02:19:54 PM
Hi Daniele,

You're doing a really good job here, lots of nice expression. I like how you seem to be thinking a lot about shaping your lines. I hope you won't mind me sharing a couple of comments.

1 - Swell more on those introductory quadruplets. You didn't at all on the first one, then did it some on the second. Instead, do some on the first, and REALLY shape it the second time those two figures come about.

2 - It seems you have the wrong rhythm on those opening octaves. A few notes before you resolve the big phrase there's supposed to be an eighth rest and then an eighth note that leads into the last few quarters. It looks like this https://gyazo.com/6afce00d86bcb26aaf47b0e82d9bdd39 That eight note really gives this piece an extra sense of angst and agitation, please don't leave it out because your playing is very good and that quality will only add to it.

3 - In the choral section those chords feel a TAD slow. It seems like you switched tempo from the first section very subtly. Its hard to notice but its a difference. Just turn on your metronome and make sure it all lines up. You don't have to play metronomicly, I advise against that haha. Just make sure you're keeping a steady pulse :).

4 - The coda felt a bit safe (this piece is new for you so its totally understandable.) the previous sections had more intensity than the coda and I think it needs to be the other way around. Chopin wrote this during a time of his life when he was having nightmares. This section is like an outbreak of insanity. For the most intense and even scary rendition of the coda of this piece check out Daniil Trifonov. The way he plays it sends chills up my spine.

Great job, Daniele! This is really sounding great and I'm proud that you're playing this at such a young age. Imagine how you'll play it in 10 years if you keep in your repertoire. You're already really thoughtful with it so keep up the good work. I wish you all the best in your performance!

- AJ

Offline daniele1234

Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 02:46:39 PM
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it that you took the time to listen to my piece and produce such a nice comment afterwards with very constructive feedback. On the first point, I completely understand what you mean by swelling up more and I will definitely try to do more however, sometimes I feel like it is a murmur slowly growing into furios tremendous octaves. Also just on the point you made about the chorale section, despite it saying "meno mosso" do you think I should turn it up a notch (speed wise) and try to keep it moving forward? I completely understand your point though and remember my teacher many times telling me that I could just make it a tad faster so the piece doesn't slow down or lose energy too much. Anyway, u really appreciate your comment. Thanks a lot.
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 02:55:59 PM
No problem! It's my pleasure. Yes, in the meno mosso section I would definitely keep moving things forward. This piece is pure energy, one of Chopin's most dramatic. If you fix one thing it would definitely be that rhythmic nuance in the octave section(s). That is a key aspect to this piece, musically, and structurally.

Offline daniele1234

Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 07:47:43 PM
Bump...
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert