Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: a piece  (Read 1844 times)

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
a piece
on: October 09, 2015, 05:24:38 AM
link deleted

The decisions the jury has made so far in the Chopin competition are quite questionable. But one things for sure- I am NOT good enough for the Chopin Competition

I felt very inspired... but self conscious... So that accounts for any awkward melodic lines or mistakes... (excuses, excuses). Any comments, criticism, suggestions would be much appreciated

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Re: Major WIP- Chopin- Barcarolle op. 60
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 12:49:11 AM
bump, 35 views but no one wants to reply? what have I done to you... (jk)

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 02:46:24 AM
Hey Schumaniac,

I'll listen to this tomorrow and get back to you. Sorry for the lack of response from PS!

- AJ

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 02:54:23 AM
Hey Schumaniac,

I'll listen to this tomorrow and get back to you. Sorry for the lack of response from PS!

- AJ
Thanks! No pressure though :P I was just a little surprised by PS' reception of this haha

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 03:25:11 AM
First of all, I think this is fantastic and I would make a post full of praises but this is a WIP so I'll give constructive feedback. Wait but before I do THOSE DOUBLE TRILLS!!!!!! :P

A Barcarolle is a song that was sung by Venetian gondoliers. Throughout this piece, you can feel the waves gently rolling up and down but always steadily moving you toward the end of the canal. I've been to Venice and although I didn't ride a gondola (it was $$$$$$) I saw them while listening to this piece. It was like bread and butter. Make sure you REALLY convey the boat-like features of this piece. Now I'm going to take a look at some specifics. These are completely subjective so don't feel like you "should" do any of these, they're just ideas to get the ball rolling.

The first few bars were fantastic. A great, solid opening chord and then a nice progression. I would put more of a ritard on this but that's purely subjective.

Very nice measures in the opening theme. You can make the three notes at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th beats leggiero by playing them almost staccato but with the pedal down half way.

Beautiful melody after that. Amazingly clear double trills :)

At 2:27 make these notes sweeter than honey.

Around 3 minutes you can really feel the rising and falling of the boat! Never let this part bore you!

At 4:05 you can take more time here if you want.

At 4:24 this part is beautiful, you can convey a change in mood with a change of tempo or dynamics.

At 5:39 very nice. Make these runs as polished as you can and make them very legato so you don't have to use very much, if any, pedal. Excellent hold at 5:54.

At 6:07 take just a minute to enjoy the change. But then fantastic octaves after that!

Great at 6:45. This part is really hard but you play it well. But release the pedal at 6:43 for a moment of suspense before the beautifully played climax.

At 7:50 :o

At 8:08 make it as delicately as those fingers of yours can be!

Great ending.

I've posted this elsewhere, but this is definitely my favorite recording of it. By far ;)

Sorry for the long post, but this one is really, really REALLY special to me so I have a lot of ideas! Hopefully this was helpful. Best of luck!! :D

- Noah

P.S. if YOU don't believe that you can make it into the Chopin competition, you will not make it.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 05:39:55 AM
Thanks Noah for all your comments! I'll review them carefully and listen to the recording you posted ;D

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 04:12:30 AM
Jesus Louise...you are one talented kid. It's too bad you didn't stick around. :(

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:53:45 AM
Yeah, it's too bad. Schumaniac lost their password so their started a new account, zpianist, who posted for a while. According to PM, they said that they are spending too much time on pianostreet and wanted to do something with their life. I hope they are having a good time, unlike the rest of us... XD
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 09:12:49 AM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 01:18:35 PM
Yeah actually doing things with their talent hahaha

well it looks like I will never leave PS then XD

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 06:39:18 PM
Yeah actually doing things with their talent hahaha

well it looks like I will never leave PS then XD

Someone should start an account called "schumaniac continued"

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 12:38:05 AM
Someone should start an account called "schumaniac continued"
hey rubinsteinmad you should post more

Offline marms

Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 02:31:23 PM
this is amazingggg
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert