Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Journey to the Chopin Competition 2020 (AjLongsPiano)  (Read 9100 times)

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Journey to the Chopin Competition 2020 (AjLongsPiano)
on: October 15, 2015, 10:10:29 PM
Hi everyone!

As you all know, the International Chopin Competition is currently taking place. Several months ago when my piano teacher won 5th prize in the National Chopin Competition I decided that I wanted to prepare and participate in this wonderful event (both the international and national competitions) in 2020.

In this topic I'll be documenting things such as pieces I'm working on, the progress I'm making, and any problems I have with playing the piece (which I'm hoping you guys will help me fix ;) ), and recordings of the pieces I'm learning.

So excited to be sharing this experience with you guys! I hope that a lot of you get involved with me :).

- AJ

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Re: Journey to the Chopin Competition 2020 (AjLongsPiano)
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:15:28 PM
Go AJ! :D

Offline dogperson

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:27:30 PM
 :)  :) :)  I will do everything possible to come to Warsaw and obnoxiously cheer you on to victory !!
I am really excited that you have decided to compete.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:28:57 PM
You should make a blog, too.

I was thinking of a similar thing, except that it was going to be a blog about my piano progress, not a blog about me going to the Chopin Competition :P

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:29:57 PM
So, upload your first video? ::)

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 10:55:53 PM
Thanks so much for your responses/support guys! Emily, I'm recording on a Steinway this weekend so you'll get some videos shortly.

So I wanted to discuss my choice of repertoire for this competition. When I have a free choice of repertoire (in rounds two and three) I would want to play works that reflect a certain point of Chopin's life, points of his life that have impacted me the most.

Round 1 is pretty conventional - I'm playing Ballade 1, Nocturne Op.27 No.2, and Etudes Op.10 No.5 and Op.10 No.11. I love all of these pieces and the melody of Op.10 No.11 is very Schubertian which you all know is a big plus for me haha.

Round 2 is where I start to imply historical context, I'll open up with Andante Spianato/Grande Polonaise and then play the Op.34 No.1 Waltz since those are selections from the mandatory repertoire for that round. The next pieces I play will be Scherzo 3, Sonata No.2 Movement 1, and Preludes No.22, No.14, No.8 and No.6. The reason for this odd choice of repertoire is because these are all pieces Chopin wrote in 1839 while living in an abandoned monastery in in Paris I believe. Chopin was so ill that he was suffering from extreme night terrors and even hallucinations at points. All of these pieces certainly have the angst of a highly disturbed man. I really want to portray that side of Chopin that not many of us focus on. The mad, crazy, angry Chopin rather than the flower laden man of melancholy we so often view him to be. Don't get me wrong, he was definitely a melancholic person, but he wasn't ONLY that. I picked preludes which personally fill me with the most angst, you guys might think other ones are more disturbing but this is just a personal taste/feeling of mine.

Round 3 I'm playing ALL late Chopin. Sonata No.3, Op.56 Mazurkas, Polonaise Fantasy, Mazurkas Op.63 Np.3, Op.67 No.2 & Op.68 no.4. These are all pieces which I think resemble some of Chopin's most mature and defined writing and they were all written during the last five years of his life. The late mazurkas in particular are very special to me, and I consider them to be Chopin's best compositions. I would close with Op.68 No.4 because it's the last piece Chopin ever wrote and there is no other way I would rather end my solo playing at the Chopin competition than to play his last piece.

Finals would be concerto 2 because there's much more history behind it than the first one and it was very personal to chopin, especially the slow movement, which he wrote for a girl he fell in love with.

If you have any suggestions for my program, feel free to add! I really want to have a very special and personal program for these competitions so I hope I've achieved a good idea here.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:13:37 PM
This is awesome AJ!! When you win, we will look back on this day and laugh. :)

Don't you have to play a polonaise in R2?
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 11:14:36 PM
Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise :)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 11:17:45 PM
Thanks so much for your responses/support guys! Emily, I'm recording on a Steinway this weekend so you'll get some videos shortly.

So I wanted to discuss my choice of repertoire for this competition. When I have a free choice of repertoire (in rounds two and three) I would want to play works that reflect a certain point of Chopin's life, points of his life that have impacted me the most.

Round 1 is pretty conventional - I'm playing Ballade 1, Nocturne Op.27 No.2, and Etudes Op.10 No.5 and Op.10 No.11. I love all of these pieces and the melody of Op.10 No.11 is very Schubertian which you all know is a big plus for me haha.

Round 2 is where I start to imply historical context, I'll open up with Andante Spianato/Grande Polonaise and then play the Op.34 No.1 Waltz since those are selections from the mandatory repertoire for that round. The next pieces I play will be Scherzo 3, Sonata No.2 Movement 1, and Preludes No.22, No.14, No.8 and No.6. The reason for this odd choice of repertoire is because these are all pieces Chopin wrote in 1839 while living in an abandoned monastery in in Paris I believe. Chopin was so ill that he was suffering from extreme night terrors and even hallucinations at points. All of these pieces certainly have the angst of a highly disturbed man. I really want to portray that side of Chopin that not many of us focus on. The mad, crazy, angry Chopin rather than the flower laden man of melancholy we so often view him to be. Don't get me wrong, he was definitely a melancholic person, but he wasn't ONLY that. I picked preludes which personally fill me with the most angst, you guys might think other ones are more disturbing but this is just a personal taste/feeling of mine.

Round 3 I'm playing ALL late Chopin. Sonata No.3, Op.56 Mazurkas, Polonaise Fantasy, Mazurkas Op.63 Np.3, Op.67 No.2 & Op.68 no.4. These are all pieces which I think resemble some of Chopin's most mature and defined writing and they were all written during the last five years of his life. The late mazurkas in particular are very special to me, and I consider them to be Chopin's best compositions. I would close with Op.68 No.4 because it's the last piece Chopin ever wrote and there is no other way I would rather end my solo playing at the Chopin competition than to play his last piece.

Finals would be concerto 2 because there's much more history behind it than the first one and it was very personal to chopin, especially the slow movement, which he wrote for a girl he fell in love with.

If you have any suggestions for my program, feel free to add! I really want to have a very special and personal program for these competitions so I hope I've achieved a good idea here.

Even though it would make your program less "personal", I LOVE the Rondo a Mazur.

<333333333

Maybe if you were to include it, you might include it as a contrast to the late works. If you want really early, the Polonaises in g minor and B-flat (OK, don't play those ::) ) are very catchy. So are the Preludes in g# minor and A-flat Major, Op Posthumus. He wrote both at age 11-12.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 11:20:19 PM
Those pieces are so HAPPY, though! OMG!

And, am I crazy? But I think Umi Garret's Scherzo #1 Op. 20 speaks to me the most. I think the Chopin contestants, including Aimi, are really mature, and I guess a little less maturity might help :)

But Umi Garret plays REALLY mature. I cant believe she was 11! But it just has that innocent playing that speaks to me, while older people sound more... Idk

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 11:21:03 PM
Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise :)

oops I am such an idiot wow brilliant noah. HAHA great rep!
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 11:23:48 PM
oops I am such an idiot wow brilliant noah. HAHA great rep!

Well, ASGP is happy enough.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 11:26:44 PM
Yeah that Polonaise is so full of sunshine haha. Thanks for the suggestions Emily! I'll play those at some point in my life for sure, maybe just not in the competition ;).

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 11:30:18 PM
Especially when Trifonov plays it.

I thought Eric Lu and Kate Liu played it more reserved, but still beautifully. I just want some more happiness, since so many of Chopin's compositions make me feel beautiful. I need some piece that makes me forget that I'm actujally uglier than Ivett ::)

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 11:53:56 PM
Especially when Trifonov plays it.
 I need some piece that makes me forget that I'm actually uglier than Ivett ::)

?

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 12:03:09 AM
?

That piece sounds too much like Ivett. Or even Aimi.  It keeps on reminding me..... Oh well......

Please stop composing like Chopin. Youre gonna make me slit ma throat ::)

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 12:06:03 AM
WHOA. Why can't I compose in a romantic style???

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 12:09:06 AM
WHOA. Why can't I compose in a romantic style???

Because compositions in a romantic style reminds me of romance which reminds me of that sensation I get when I look at Ivett and Aimi (BTW, I'm straight... If you don't understand, just PM schumaniac and you'll know why...)

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 12:35:46 AM
Because compositions in a romantic style reminds me of romance which reminds me of that sensation I get when I look at Ivett and Aimi (BTW, I'm straight... If you don't understand, just PM schumaniac and you'll know why...)
he can figure out the situation on his own

never mind, you heard nothing

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 12:38:27 AM
AJ, I think your program ideas are very interesting. Chopin was indeed a person with a very complex personality, and the way he is popularly portrayed is rather one-sided :/

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 12:42:54 AM
Thanks Schumaniac! Glad you found my ideas interesting.

I don't even want to know.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 02:43:00 AM

I am thrilled for you AJ!!! and you bet I will be following your progress...  this is so exciting, really.  I will be living my Chopin Competition dreams vicariously through you now!!!  Don't let me down --I am counting on you AJ...  lol.   you can do this...   

I love that your teacher has been there and that he placed that gives you a nice edge.

we need a name for your pep squad like-- TEAM AJ :)  but something not so cheesy and outdated

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 03:12:07 AM
DC,

Thanks so much for your awesome comment! I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm. I'm sure Noah can come up with a super legit name, haha.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 03:34:07 AM
I'm sure Noah can come up with a super legit name, haha.

yes he excels at that kind of thing and he is a bit more with the times than I am...lol..Twilight is like so 10 years ago..

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 03:52:47 AM
*Insert super legit name here to meet expectations* lol :)

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 10:44:17 AM
Hi everyone!

As you all know, the International Chopin Competition is currently taking place. Several months ago when my piano teacher won 5th prize in the National Chopin Competition I decided that I wanted to prepare and participate in this wonderful event (both the international and national competitions) in 2020.

In this topic I'll be documenting things such as pieces I'm working on, the progress I'm making, and any problems I have with playing the piece (which I'm hoping you guys will help me fix ;) ), and recordings of the pieces I'm learning.

So excited to be sharing this experience with you guys! I hope that a lot of you get involved with me :).

- AJ

I will see you there AJ ;D
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 01:17:51 PM
Hope to see you as well as my other PS friends!

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: October 17, 2015, 10:29:11 PM
Hi AJ, in case you don't know, one not completely obvious thing you will need to enter this competition is letter(s) of certification of your competence, signed by recognised musical teachers/figures of importance. I know this because a friend of mine applied about a decade ago.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 12:00:32 AM
Hello AJ! :)

How wrong I was!!  I've always thought your were so much older because of your mature and civil responses to posts here.  Now I know you must be in your teens or very early twenties to dream of the 2020 Chopin Competition. So may I wish your journey to be fruitful! Surely like many young pianists, my son Enzo is also dreaming of the Chopin Competition.  

emill

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 01:32:27 AM
Hi emill!

Thanks so much for your kind response. I am 17. Enzo is a BRILLIANT young pianist with so much to offer. You must be extremely proud!

Ronde, thanks for telling me, I will have that covered with no problem :)

- AJ

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 05:43:32 AM
Hello AJ! :)

How wrong I was!!  I've always thought your were so much older because of your mature and civil responses to posts here.  Now I know you must be in your teens or very early twenties to dream of the 2020 Chopin Competition. So may I wish your journey to be fruitful! Surely like many young pianists, my son Enzo is also dreaming of the Chopin Competition.  

emill

Same.
By the way, I'm rooting for you ajlongspiano!

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 12:53:27 PM
Thanks, swag master! I appreciate your support very much.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 07:07:45 PM

...I had a weird dream last night where there was this kid sitting at a big black grand piano and Van Cliburn was next to him showing him stuff.   Van Cliburn looked up at me and said.. "this is AJ"

The boy in my dream was only 8 or 9--but still I thought it was kinda weird.

:)  it was just a dream.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 07:27:56 PM
That's so cool!!!! Thanks for sharing! So awesome haha

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 07:51:52 PM

...I had a weird dream last night where there was this kid sitting at a big black grand piano and Van Cliburn was next to him showing him stuff.   Van Cliburn looked up at me and said.. "this is AJ"

The boy in my dream was only 8 or 9--but still I thought it was kinda weird.

:)  it was just a dream.

Cool, but why Van Cliburn? I feel AJ's playing is WAY too sincere to be taught by Van Cliburn. (IMO Van Cliburn's playing is full of insincerity.. :P). AJ should be taught by none other than the great SERGEI BABAYAN!!!!!!!!!

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 08:01:01 PM
Van Cliburn was an extremely sincere pianist/person... lol

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 08:07:45 PM
Van Cliburn was an extremely sincere pianist/person... lol

Well as a pianist, his PLAYING doesn't sound very sincere t me....nlol

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 07:40:47 PM
I have no idea why Van Cliburn...   He was young though and the piano was not lacquered but the flat black painted kind.  In my dream it just seemed perfectly normal to walk into a room and see Van Cliburn giving a piano lesson.  I actually apologized for interrupting and went to find my student who was waiting in a room for me... but I couldn't find them.  I was searching all these rooms all through my dream.

kinda trippy... but actually you don't have to be an expert at dream analysis to know what this one means..

..and someone posted about Van Cliburn day before yesterday...  and AJ is also the name of my daughter's jerk of a boyfriend...I'm sorry,  it's x-boyfriend this week.

so it could be as Freud said..."just a cigar"  lol.  or maybe not.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 07:50:31 PM
You have nothing to fear. If I was your daughter's boyfriend. I can assure you I wouldn't be a jerk to her.

- AJ

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 07:56:58 PM
You have nothing to fear. If I was your daughter's boyfriend. I can assure you I wouldn't be a jerk to her.

- AJ

Especially if your daughter is named Ivett.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 07:59:54 PM
LOL

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 08:12:24 PM

This guy really isn't that bad...  just kinda dumb..

I hope it was a message from the mystical beyond stating that the great Van Cliburn is now watching over you--and you will win this competition against all odds as he did in Russia in the Cold War.

but... it also could just be that I think my daughter's boyfriend's a jerk.. and for one brief second in my dream I considered the piano AJ along with Jerky boyfriend AJ

Van Cliburn is a symbol...I think.. of someone who beat the odds completely.  that is a good thing, too.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: October 20, 2015, 08:17:49 PM
Chopin Concerto 2 time it is. I haven't learn a concerto so I figure this will be the most beneficial thing to learn right now. I'm dropping the third sonata.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 10:00:39 PM
Learn the 2nd movement so we can help each other ;)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: October 20, 2015, 10:02:01 PM
Yes, uf you learn 2nd Concerto you can also use it for the Busoni Competition

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 10:06:10 PM
Yeah it will work for all different competitions! Noah, eventually :D

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: October 20, 2015, 10:07:13 PM
Yeah it will work for all different competitions! Noah, eventually :D

I'm not a big fan of the 3rd movement, either....

BTW there announcing the final results now.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 10:10:26 PM
What? I love the whole concerto. lol

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 10:15:22 PM
What? I love the whole concerto. lol
Well I prefer the 3rd movement of the 1st concerto.

As of now, I like the 1st movement of the 1st concerto, too. But a few months ago, I preferred the 2nd Concerto.

A few years ago, the only Chopin Concerto movement I liked was the 2nd movement from he 2nd Concerto, played by Arthur Rubinstein and that concductor who I forgot his name.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: October 20, 2015, 10:26:55 PM
And AJLong goes to the lvie stream to find the results, only to find Jurinic playing Chopin's 5th Ballade...

BTW, did you hear what the lady announcer said? She said "I hope to see you again... Maybe in five years :)"! OMG!!!! She KNOWS YOU, AJLONG!!!!!!!  :o
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert