Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Help with Bach's Invention No. 4: Trills.  (Read 1438 times)

Offline jacobsterling

Help with Bach's Invention No. 4: Trills.
on: November 13, 2015, 02:11:40 PM
Hi everyone,

Since two days I'm learning Bach's Invention No. 4 in D minor and I am experiencing a lot of trouble with the trills in measures 17, 19-21 and 37 for the right hand, and measures 29-33 for the left hand. I know that one could also play them as 16th notes triplets, but I think it is more beautiful and the piece comes more to it's right when played as 32th notes.

I've found Bernhard's posts very useful and informative, mostly when it comes to Bach, so if anyone knows if there is a post in which he deals with trills...

But I'm also Always open for other people's input.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

Offline rovis77

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help with Bach's Invention No. 4: Trills.
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 02:20:05 PM
I recommend you to play them as 32nd notes, so you play two notes of the trill in the right for one sixteenth note in the left. If you listen to recordings this is how most people do it. This trills are easy, don't complicate yourself. :)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert