Piano Forum

Topic: Schumann, Beethoven, Mendelssohn  (Read 1133 times)

Offline sarytta

• PS Silver Member
Schumann, Beethoven, Mendelssohn
on: November 22, 2015, 11:49:43 AM
Hi everyone!
If you have time, please check my new recordings of Schumann Fantasie (1st mov), Beethoven Hammerklavier sonata (1st mov) and Mendelssohn Variations serieuses.
Looking forward for your feedback!  :)

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann, Beethoven, Mendelssohn
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 12:29:17 PM
Hi, I listened to the Mendelssohn; it's a piece I'm rather fond of. Super performance, really good.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:11:25 AM
Listening to the Mendelssohn now; it's the only one I have any ability to comment on  ;D
Maybe take the beginning a tad faster? You play it well at this tempo, but I feel like a tad faster would've allowed for more fluid communication of the musical ideas, in the first variation as well.
I also would've liked to hear the variation with all of those jumping chords played slightly faster; it's tough though, so I understand the tempo choice if it was a technical one!
Sublime playing on the variation(s) two variations after the chordal one (can't cite the bar numbers).
Love the energy at 6:44.
Also love your playing at 9:55.
This is just amazing overall, really.
LOVE the coda. And I love how near the end, you keep the pedal down and let the d minor just build upon itself.
Phenomenal job!!

Offline sarytta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:41:17 AM
Thank you very much, ronde_des_sylphes!

chopinlover01, thank you for making time to listen my recording. I play this Mendelssohn only for a month now, so feedback means a lot. You're comments are great, I also had question myself about tempo relations, I play theme slow mostly because of "serioso" and "sostenuto" atmosphere, but maybe I should reconsider this or give something more to it. Also, after this tempo in thema, other variations are building their natural tempos as going further on.
And you're right, for variation with jumping chords, I played that tempo because it should be "a tempo" and also, from there, building new tempos for each of next variations. But when I listen, it really sounds slightly slow.

Thank you very much! I will think about all things you said.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert