Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonata in G Major, Op. 79, 1st Movement  (Read 1564 times)

Offline scrabblekid

Beethoven Sonata in G Major, Op. 79, 1st Movement
on: December 08, 2015, 02:33:34 AM
Hi,

I played this movement last weekend in a local recital. I want to record it again in a couple of weeks for an audition for a music summer camp. Any feedback appreciated if it's something I can work on in a short amount of time!

Thank you! :D

&feature=youtu.be

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Sonata in G Major, Op. 79, 1st Movement
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 11:47:52 AM
I liked that very much!  So musical!  You have a very fine talent.  Your phrasing and musical intent were excellent.  Fresh and young!  You did have some problems witht the arpeggios i noticed.  Practise slow with strong accents on these passages.  Like five times.  Then four times.  Then three times alittle faster.  Two times...well you get my idea, right.  And the same with the crossing hands passages.
Basically, i would say to always practise in "slow motion" and slow down those fingers that want to run away with themselves!
But i really enjoyed it.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 02:22:51 PM

WOW!! very awesome! 

your young hands are not yet able to do all that you are trying to bring out in this -- but I can sure hear the effort.  Your phrasing is just superb-- in a couple of sections it's shockingly good... well beyond your years. 

If you only have a short amount of time... like Birba suggests...fix those arpeggios.  The end of this does not sound quite as confident as the beginning.. and that's an easy fix, too. 

Please post this again when you record it...  :)  I like hearing you play.

Offline preludetr

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:44:59 PM
Thanks for sharing, you played very well for the most part. I have played this piece in the past and just yesterday I decided to revisit it, so I have some fresh familiarity with it. I two minor interpretive suggestions.

One particular area that could be improved is the hand-crossing section of the development. You want to play the right hand Alberti-like figurations very delicately, and clearly enunciate the left hand "cuckoo" notes. It seems like sometimes you do a good job with that, and other times the articulation is not as clear, so I imagine you know how to do it but just need to pay more attention.

Also, in the part with the grace notes, you could work on making them sound less like a two note slur. The main note is the one playing the melody, and the grace notes are just split-second additions to it. I find it helps to really focus on doing a rolling motion from the grace note to the main note, with a sudden weight transfer.

Offline scrabblekid

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 08:45:39 PM
 :D Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Arpeggios are definitely something I am working on overall. I'm going to share your comments with my teacher and see what I can work in before we record this in a couple of days. I will post an update if it sounds better!

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 08:59:39 PM
:D Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Arpeggios are definitely something I am working on overall. I'm going to share your comments with my teacher and see what I can work in before we record this in a couple of days. I will post an update if it sounds better!

I look forward to hearing it...and I am quite sure that you will notice a difference in the two recordings. :)   I also wouldn't sweat the summer camp audition.. I think you got that... no problem.

Offline scrabblekid

Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 04:08:50 PM
Okay, here is the new recording I made. I think it might have some other issues, but it's really hard to get everything right at one time! Thank you for listening! :D

&feature=youtu.be
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert