Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Satie - Gnossienne no. 1  (Read 3766 times)

Offline deandeblock

Satie - Gnossienne no. 1
on: December 15, 2015, 07:40:24 PM
Hi all,

I just made a recording of my interpretation of Satie's first Gnossienne.

This time recorded with a decent microphone and added some reverb and compression...

What do you think of it?

https://soundcloud.com/deandeblock/gnossienne-1
work hard, play hard

Offline siveron

Re: Satie - Gnossienne no. 1
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:07:17 PM
I think this is good, but needs a little bit more practice to be perfect. Very good job though!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:24:40 AM
You should look at into how you play the grace notes. It would be easier to show in person, but maybe listen to a good recording to get an idea what you are aiming for: Less emphasis on them and playing them closer in time with the main note, almost simultaneously, and ending up with the emphasis only on the main note. These notes are just passing.

Offline deandeblock

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 08:01:05 AM
You should look at into how you play the grace notes. It would be easier to show in person, but maybe listen to a good recording to get an idea what you are aiming for: Less emphasis on them and playing them closer in time with the main note, almost simultaneously, and ending up with the emphasis only on the main note. These notes are just passing.

Hé Outin,

One recording I particularly like is from Reinbert De Leeuw, a dutch pianist:

I somewhat tried to deliberately make it as slow as possible and I took it too far with the grace notes...
 so back to the drawing board... :)

Thanks!
work hard, play hard

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:34:01 AM
Piece are always up for interpretation so to an extent there is no red light issues with your performance.

I agree with the point made RE grace notes, you need to flick to the notes a lot quicker than you are, you seem to be aware of this, they're currently too in time and need to be... more graceful :D

It feels like you are playing the whole piece too slowly to be honest. For a piece that has a lot of repetitive parts I think playing to slow can cause it to feel a little never ending and so I think you would benefit from picking up the pace a little and adding some change to the dynamics on the different repetitions.

1.10 and 1.25 i have often heard more of a crescendo here and think that it would be a nice contrast  to the start which should be quite piano.

Not sure if it's microphone placement but the left hand takes over a lot of the time and would sound better if the emphasize was on the melody which sings very nicely in your performance.

Watch your pedal, sometimes I hear a couple notes clash when they should be a little clearer.

It is very easy for listeners to give what they consider "constructive" (negative) feed back however I honestly don't think there's anything majorly wrong here and think with just a little more work you'd have a very nice piece completed.

I'm assuming you've also heard his Gymnopedie No 1, another great piece of his you may want to learn.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline deandeblock

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 02:04:20 PM
Hi adodd,

thanks for your elaborate reply.

I agree with what you mention, i am gonna sleep a night over it and then maybe do a new recording, will see because my teacher put me on: j. Field - Nocturne n. 5 and Bach BWV927

so my time is limited :)

Out of curiosity: do you have something you recorded? I saw your minute waltz which was good but perhaps something else?

Cheers!
work hard, play hard

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 02:42:03 PM
Hi Deandeblock.

RE Field - Nice piece to be learning, i look forward to hearing it.

I have a few pieces I can play, is there anything in particular you're looking to hear? If you like the waltz I also play op 64 no 2, bit better in my opinion as with 64 no 1, I have a few bits to work out on the right hand.

If you're looking for something fieldy, I'm sure I can get a Nocturne recorded.

Also I put a couple bits in the audition forum, nothing fancy just messing around with Youtube.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=59292.0

Offline deandeblock

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 08:54:10 AM
Hi Deandeblock.

RE Field - Nice piece to be learning, i look forward to hearing it.

I have a few pieces I can play, is there anything in particular you're looking to hear? If you like the waltz I also play op 64 no 2, bit better in my opinion as with 64 no 1, I have a few bits to work out on the right hand.

If you're looking for something fieldy, I'm sure I can get a Nocturne recorded.

Also I put a couple bits in the audition forum, nothing fancy just messing around with Youtube.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=59292.0

If possible maybe the fifth nocturne of Field? but the 64 / 2 waltz is also a very interesting piece I would like to learn someday :)
work hard, play hard

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 09:25:40 AM
If possible maybe the fifth nocturne of Field? but the 64 / 2 waltz is also a very interesting piece I would like to learn someday :)

Hi Deandeblock.

I've heard all his Nocturnes, but the Youtube playlist is in different order to the scores I have. Is the correct one?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 06:53:58 PM
^That nocturne is really nice, one of the best IMO and a nice one to start with. If you study it carefully with a teacher it is very good for developing your touch, LH/RH balance, pedalling and legato playing. Also there are a couple of spots with polyrhythms.

Offline deandeblock

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:33:18 AM
Hi Deandeblock.

I've heard all his Nocturnes, but the Youtube playlist is in different order to the scores I have. Is the correct one?

That's the one indeed!
work hard, play hard

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 10:47:07 AM

That's the one indeed!

Ah OK! I've not learnt this piece before, nice Nocturne, not my favourite of his, but great never the less. I'll post something in the audition forum early next week.

Offline deandeblock

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 10:27:46 AM
Ah OK! I've not learnt this piece before, nice Nocturne, not my favourite of his, but great never the less. I'll post something in the audition forum early next week.

Great! Looking forward to hear it
work hard, play hard

Offline siveron

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 11:52:04 PM
Great work!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert