Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Kid with perfect pitch video  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Kid with perfect pitch video
on: December 24, 2015, 12:57:51 AM

Looks like they're selling something though.

Something about it though... I don't have perfect pitch.  It doesn't look like he's hearing "relative pitch" color though -- the function, the way the notes might 'want' to move.  He's just hearing each pitch... absolutely.  Same with when he sings the pitch.  I don't think that's in reference to the chord he just heard.  It's just him pulling just that one pitch out, independent of the chord.

Not that it's not impressive.

Hm...
https://www.nuryl.com/what-is-nuryl/
Just a collection of recordings?  1hr/day?

I'm skeptical, but at least it's activity in that area/direction.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Kid with perfect pitch video
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 01:01:03 AM

Looks like they're pushing a, "Use music for brain development," angle.

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 04:41:24 AM
i was extremely impressed when I saw that vid, lol
it's cute how he seems slightly embarrassed when he gets asked to sing the note, and then he just quickly hums it lol

Offline iamazombie911

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:44:56 PM
I'm perfect pitch myself, but those last chords woulda taken me forever o.o

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 01:33:56 AM
I'm curious, why some people on the comments ask if it could be arranged beforehand and someone usually replies with "He hummed the note". Excuse my ignorance but couldn't he have practiced that beforehand as well?

Anyway cool video nevertheless!
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 04:28:18 PM
I think for those "Sing this note" pitches, he's not paying attention to the chord played.  I think he's getting the pitch from his mind. 

That's what seems kind of odd about it.  There's a disconnect between the chord being played and him "summoning" the pitch.  The chord and him could be in different locations, but he'd be doing the same process. 

Not that it's bad.  It's just... An oddity maybe with having perfect pitch.  Interesting too.

I guess I was expecting him to sing the requested pitch and know how it relates to the chord or have some awareness of that chord in the environment. 

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 04:34:23 PM
I also wonder if people with perfect get the note set as one note, not as the function.

ex. Is someone with perfect pitch going to be stuck saying it's Eb when it's a B Major chord?

The other potentially scary thing with that kid.  It's like he's brain is loaded up with info and processing.  But... not necessarily him enjoying it, or controlling things or what interests him?  Or creativity maybe?  Kind of like the father wheeled out his kid/computer to show off.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 04:36:19 PM
Here's another video.  This kid, older, but he seems more like a person.

Haha... About 1:18 into the video.  The "FU" masterclass technique.  Audience response, "Yep... He can play."

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 12:03:03 AM
Here's another video.  This kid, older, but he seems more like a person.

Haha... About 1:18 into the video.  The "FU" masterclass technique.  Audience response, "Yep... He can play."

I got 4, so I am gifted now or what? XD
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 03:33:48 AM
You can start using relative pitch on them though after you know the first tone.

They have to mess with the tonality somehow.  Use dim 7's or something.  Aug triads.  Or change the tonal center a few times and then blur it out.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert