Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Prelude No. 4 (Andante tranquillo)  (Read 969 times)

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
VIDEO: Prelude No. 4 (Andante tranquillo)
on: December 30, 2015, 04:28:51 PM
The fourth prelude from my set of Nine Preludes for Piano Solo is in 7/4 meter, which seems to me to give it a "floating in space" quality.  It has a kind of cool French subtlety to it, in contrast to the hot passion of some of my other works (although this one does rise to a dramatic climax about 2/3 of the way through).  Much of the harmonic motion is by thirds rather than fifths, and the main melody starts out with a brief allusion to Lydian mode.

I'm rather pleased with how this recording came out.  What do you think?

Here is the "score" version of the video.  In most of the piece, the 7/4 meter tends to subdivide into (4+3)/4, but there is one section where it becomes (3+4)/7 and even a measure of (2+3+2)/4.  I think these subtle shifts enhance the "floating" sensation the work conveys.

Currently, the score for my whole nine-prelude set is available through AJ Long's website:  https://ajlongspiano.com/store