Piano Forum

Poll

Which century do your favorite pianists belong to?

19th-early 20th century
7 (63.6%)
21st century
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Who do you prefer to listen to?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline distantfieldrelative

Who do you prefer to listen to?
on: December 31, 2015, 04:26:37 AM
I have wanted to have a pool about preference of interpretation for a while now and finally was able to get over my shyness to ask: What style of playing do you prefer? The raw, emotional, exciting, and eccentric playing of the 19th and early 20th century. Or the flawless, precise, polished playing of this century.

Do you prefer the playing of Cortot with all the dropped notes or would you rather listen to Pollini with not a single diminuendo misplaced and why?

Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Who do you prefer to listen to?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 04:32:53 AM
I generally prefer the playing of more modern pianists (i. e. the times of Rubinstein and Arrau up to now) comparing to the older playing, with an exception. I like Rachmaninoff's interpretations a lot.

As for the 2nd question, I can't really answer; I haven't heard much of Cortot's Chopin (I think his Liszt is outdated, though), but I am not a fan of Pollini's playing, either.

Offline siveron

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 09:41:50 PM
I prefer newer music, without a doubt. Ludovici Einaudi for example.

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:53:36 AM
It really depends on the piece, most pianists have specialized repertoire that they were particularly good at. However, the few Hofmann recordings that survived are sublime, and I personally love the genius of Richter.
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline distantfieldrelative

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:14:11 AM
Well do you think that it is possible that the older recordings are being glorified? I think that the Hoffman recording of liszts 12th HR is fantastic. That being said if anyone dared to play with that amount of innovation for an audition the poor fellow would have his femurs ripped out. And if he had played it exactly to text but with as many "mistakes" that obvious point would emphasized over and over again.

Consider what would happen if a recording of a Chopin scherzo were to be posted in the audition room. A recording as much innovation and passion as Cortot and with just as many mistakes. Why is it that I hear a cry for putting your soul into music but when someone has the guts to do so they are shot down? Oh well...
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:36:02 AM

Consider what would happen if a recording of a Chopin scherzo were to be posted in the audition room. A recording as much innovation and passion as Cortot and with just as many mistakes. Why is it that I hear a cry for putting your soul into music but when someone has the guts to do so they are shot down? Oh well...

I agree with you.

Offline lustercrush

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 12:03:27 PM
I prefer more recent recordings. This could be for a few reasons.
I have listened to many more modern pianists than older ones.
Also, I find the static in old recordings immediately off-putting.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 12:12:39 PM
I will often listen to 5-6 versions of a piece and make my own mind up.

This doesn't have to be somebody famous, or somebody on youtube, if I like it I like it. It's very difficult to pick one person even if you were to sit down and say I want to listen to Chopin's interpretations only etc.

I think this does not disrespect the performer, or have any substantial meaning, as despite the performer is technically performing the same combination of notes, the difference in sound can be as much as listening to a Coldplay pop song and a ballad from Whitney Houston.

The fact remains that even if you liked both artists, you still need a break from them from time to time.

I thoroughly enjoy Kissin. He's not perfect, but who is? He's an honest, genuine pianist and that oozes out in his performances.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert