Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: "I play by ear"  (Read 1985 times)

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
"I play by ear"
on: January 07, 2016, 10:04:18 PM
BULLSHIT.

Not all the time but I'm curious if anyone has ever found themselves in the same situation, a couple of times when I found a nice cover of a piece or a song on youtube and someone ask for the sheets or MIDI the player will reply with " Sorry I learned this by ear"

Now I know there are great ear talents out there but in some of those cases when digging deep enough it happens that a sheet does exist, just in some very underground site like that god forsaken page 2 of google search.

I feel like most people either have a sheet, found or made, and refuse to share it just because they want to be special snowflakes. Of course they aren't obliged to spread the love but I feel like music should be for everyone and it sometimes vexes me to what length people will go to stand out.

What you guys think of this?

Cheers
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: "I play by ear"
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:56:24 PM
Not all the time but I'm curious if anyone has ever found themselves in the same situation, a couple of times when I found a nice cover of a piece or a song on youtube and someone ask for the sheets or MIDI the player will reply with " Sorry I learned this by ear"

That's so true...

Probably because people like me, take the time and spend arduous hours trying to arrange the music for piano, to pride themselves for creating something unique on the piano, and something that sets them apart from other people who may have tried to arrange that music.

Not that I'm saying you're one of those people who whine and b!tch about not being able to find the sheet music for said arrangement (although your first post doesn't do anything to persuade me otherwise), but considering they did it for free with their own time and for their own personal satisfaction doesn't mean they have to share if for a bunch of people for free just because they whine about not having said arrangement.

Perhaps you should think about what you say in future. Arrangers like myself aren't getting anything out of giving out sheet music for free??? Why should we cater to a bunch of people who just whine and b!tch about it?

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:39:24 PM

Perhaps you should think about what you say in future. Arrangers like myself aren't getting anything out of giving out sheet music for free??? Why should we cater to a bunch of people who just whine and b!tch about it?

Then I'll clarify, I have no problem paying for the sheet, hell if the score is good it brings more prestige to the arranger, my point is about people that won't share for the sake of standing out.

I loved Jarred Radnich's Pirates of the caribbean arrangement, so I went and bought the score, on the other hand people that won't even consider selling it are just setting themselves for someone else to document the arrangement.

I dunno, I feel like it is likely that someone who won't even consider selling it either cannot write sheet music or just ripped it off of someone else or just are being selfish.

Perhaps some people don't think their work will be as popular so they don't try to monetise it, but if someone ask for it they should consider selling it or just giving it away if they like.

"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:07:57 AM
Then I'll clarify, I have no problem paying for the sheet, hell if the score is good it brings more prestige to the arranger, my point is about people that won't share for the sake of standing out.

This is only logical, since often one's ability to support themselves in the music business is highly dependent on their ability to stand out. Whatever they might get from selling some obscure arrangement is not going to make a difference, but if they are actually able to produce music that no-one else can and it appeals to people, that might get them somewhere. These opportunities can be rare and have to be "exploited" as soon and as much as possible, because they will soon "grow old" when others will do the same. These considerations are not important for pure hobbyists, but many may have goals beyond that, even if not full-time professionals yet.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 06:38:25 AM
This is only logical, since often one's ability to support themselves in the music business is highly dependent on their ability to stand out. Whatever they might get from selling some obscure arrangement is not going to make a difference.

True but as you said I don't think arrangements make that much of a difference, one would think it has more to be with the skill involved in the playing. I of course, could be wrong.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:43:59 PM
wow... out there in the cesspool that is YT this happens quite a bit... I can't argue with you there.   Lot's of folks try to make themselves appear to be more than they are

well I would like to submit my channel for your review... there are many covers of tunes that I either have played by ear, or just had a lead sheet (chords and melody),  you can google to your heart's content and I assure you that each and every one (aside from the few otherwise indicated vids) is my own arrangement.  

People have asked me repeatedly for sheets... and I will confess... I am just too damn lazy to notate these performances from these vids...  which may make you equally angry.. but I promise you if I had the sheets I would share them.

often times people learn an arrangement "by ear"   they do  not read music so they have no idea that what they are learning from the YT-tutorial has been notated somewhere.   They say they learned it "by ear" and they did--but usually they have watched an overhead shot tutorial as well.  They really don't see the difference... to them that's learning by ear...at least that's been my experience with the adolescent and adult new students who started out on YT.

click the link below to see my channel

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 12:18:57 AM
Is there any really impressive "playing by ear" out there?

I hear that and think "uneducated."  Or lacking understanding of theory, limited to a kind of pop style.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 01:18:51 AM

People have asked me repeatedly for sheets... and I will confess... I am just too damn lazy to notate these performances from these vids...  which may make you equally angry.. but I promise you if I had the sheets I would share them.

Worry not, I am not even angry I was more frustrated that anything else, I know people have legitimate reasons like yours what I found annoying was the attitude of some performers.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 01:22:35 AM

I hear that and think "uneducated."  Or lacking understanding of theory, limited to a kind of pop style.

That kinda is one of my points, they're not really playing by ear (exceptions may apply) they're just being kinda dickish by withholding resources, resources that if used properly could benefit them more that just "lol sorry i play by ear so i got no sheets"  then some other pianist goes and writes that arrangement (sometimes even making it better) and get the glory.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 02:04:12 AM

I think we need to define those parameters... for instance,  I can play by ear...but I am also well trained.   I can transcribe what I hear and then read it...or I can just play it...or I can do both.   So, technically, I am playing by ear...but it's a very well-trained and educated ear.

I, too, tend to think "uneducated"  because pianists are generally described as either "classically trained" or "ear players."    I have personally seen some pretty amazing ear-players...who couldn't read a note... however, the public perception is that this is some how "the easy way" to play the piano and that it is indeed "limited."    Well, it is limiting...but no more so than not being able to play without the sheet music... that can be pretty limiting, too.   That's why they make you take ear-training for at least 4 semesters at University.   You really should be able to do both.

Worry not, I am not even angry I was more frustrated that anything else, I know people have legitimate reasons like yours what I found annoying was the attitude of some performers.

yeah, I hear you... those types piss me off, too...lol.   

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 02:31:58 AM

I hear that and think "uneducated."  Or lacking understanding of theory, limited to a kind of pop style.

In general, I agree with you. There are some extraordinary exceptions, however.

Have you heard (of) this fellow?

Pretty classy guy if you ask me... and definitely is a master of theory!

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 03:25:07 AM
In general, I agree with you. There are some extraordinary exceptions, however.

Have you heard (of) this fellow?

Pretty classy guy if you ask me... and definitely is a master of theory!

he's an educated ear-player... :)  that makes all the difference. 

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 04:24:47 PM
If you want credit for the arrangement, ask the copyright holder and get it.  They either say yes or no.  Pretty doubtful though to get that.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 07:23:41 PM
If you want credit for the arrangement, ask the copyright holder and get it.  They either say yes or no.  Pretty doubtful though to get that.

it's not an arrangement really--just the way I played it that day--it's different every time I play them... and I could easily get permission to publish these performances if I notated those or any other jazz standard--that's never a problem with the stuff I play... it's whether anyone would buy them or even download them...  lol..   all of them have been arranged and published literally 1000s and 1000s of times.  Mine may have some differences from others, but it's still just  the same old song and that's why I would gladly share it :)  I would be incredibly flattered if someone tried to play one of these the way I do... so would any other arranger IMO.  ;D

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 10:47:09 PM
Maybe the answer is to learn to improvise or develop your own arrangement like the person who supposedly plays by ear did.  Then you don't need them anymore.  Although the short way is just to get the music.

Maybe the person who plays by ear could give the information a different way somehow?  Playing through it slowly or writing out the chords or whatever they think of.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 11:41:47 PM
Maybe the answer is to learn to improvise or develop your own arrangement like the person who supposedly plays by ear did.  Then you don't need them anymore.  Although the short way is just to get the music.

Maybe the person who plays by ear could give the information a different way somehow?  Playing through it slowly or writing out the chords or whatever they think of.

I concur with your assessment.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 06:30:21 AM

oh untrained ear players have plenty of ways of giving information.... the problem is they are the only ones that understand it.  lol.  Usually this type of pianist is more interested in impressing whomever is asking "how do you play that?" rather than in actually passing on the tune.  Even if they want to pass it on, they don't have the vocabulary to explain what they are playing. As for chords, most of them can't tell you what key they are playing in.  If they use "chords" they will simply call out the lowest note they are playing and tell you that's the chord.   if it's a black key... lol.. sometimes they will call it F# and then just to be different they will call it Gb in an effort to show you that they "understand music."  sigh...

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 07:30:25 PM

Hear, hear.
My general experience with this has been that people who lack knowledge of music beyond the layout of the keyboard say "I play by ear" as a cop-out of criticism. However, I have seen some good ear playing; and even those who play only by ear can usually pick out a tune pretty quick.
So it isn't without advantages.
However, many of the annoying brats I encounter who seem to think it's a gift from God almighty also have the most annoying attitude- like an "I can do this without training, your reading is just a skill" sort of thing. Though that could just as likely be attributed to the fact that they're twelve.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 11:23:29 PM
I think playing by ear is a gift; but a gift that many people are able to have. For some, it is easier; for others, it takes effort. I do not think it is "bullshit"; after all, preserved music was first preserved by ear. (Even in cultures where musical notation existed, learning by ear was a big part. For example, in medieval europe many of the troubadours and trouveres played by ear. In China from ancient times up to the early 1900s, the street musicians learned to play by ear.)

Also, some people can play very sophisticated pieces by ear. A co-winner of the 2009 Cliburn Competition had to learn all his pieces by ear; he was blind.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 11:25:50 PM
I doubt the Cliburn winner went by ear alone. There are such things as braille scores, and he wouldn't have gotten nearly all the details and things without the score.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 11:43:10 PM
I doubt the Cliburn winner went by ear alone. There are such things as braille scores, and he wouldn't have gotten nearly all the details and things without the score.

Oh, true. I didn't consider that.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 12:14:32 AM

a blind person has no visual memory... they do not "read" in the same way a sighted person does--they can't run their fingers over the score and play at the same time...   Even though he probably did use a score... that doesn't really disqualify him from playing by ear since he is not capable of "sight-reading" in the traditional sense.

Offline siveron

Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 04:48:34 PM
Some people can do it, some people lie.

Offline anamnesis

• PS Gold Member
Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 07:03:44 PM
Musicians who want to be excellent performers, must still play by ear, even if they are reading off music because it is the only effective coordinator for the medium we work in. 

By ear, I mean the aural image in the mind combined with real-time active listening, perception, and corresponding reaction.   

The visual medium of sheet music must at best just be a reminder for the aural image after it has been translated.

Those who primarily coordinate from the sheet music will always be poor performers. You can usually identify those most worse afflicted with this type of visual cuing by "sutterers"; however, many people do it to a certain degree because their muscle memory is faster than their ear. 

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 01:43:26 AM
Some people can do it, some people lie.

oh... do they ever!! lol.  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert