Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bach Italian Concerto - warts and all  (Read 1477 times)

Offline jimroof

Bach Italian Concerto - warts and all
on: January 11, 2016, 08:58:08 PM
More from my old college recital tapes.  A few notes...

This was performed as part of my Junior recital that included three Debussy Preludes (in English... Fireworks, Minstrels and The Hill of Anacapri), Beethoven Opus 31, #3, and Chopin's Gm Ballade.

First movement - listen for my having to suddenly become a composer around the 2:21 mark.  Hey - at least I kept the fingers moving.  You know the old saying with Bach.  When in doubt - pedal and trill.  This was what I opened with and I was a bit nervous to be honest and Bach has a way of making a pianist feel like they are naked on stage with nothing to cover their body except a microphone stand.

Second movement - I liked my overall interpretation, but I could not fully control this piano.  It was a rather brittle sounding instrument with little sustain for a 9 foot Steinway, and the action had this hard little break about half way down that robbed me of a few notes speaking here and there.

Third movement - NO, I WAS NOT ON DRUGS!  At my recital jury, Cary Lewis (then artist in residence at Georgia State) commented that he had bet the other two jurors that I would never finish the piece at the tempo I started it at.  Believe it or not - I did.  Second believe it or not - I SLOWED IT DOWN for my recital.  Clearly not enough.

So, here it is, warts and all.  I would play it today in a much more bridled manner while STILL holding to much of what I heard in the piece 37 years ago when this was recorded.

Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline siveron

Re: Bach Italian Concerto - warts and all
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 04:46:30 AM
Great work, you're really talented!

Offline deandeblock

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 07:51:29 PM
Strange you get so few comments... maybe because we had this concerto posted by someone else a while back

Anyway, I think it's awesome! 
work hard, play hard

Offline swilliams002

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 06:10:49 PM
I really like how you did the first movement, great dynamics and tempo. Good job!
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." - Jeremias 29, 13
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert