Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Which études are harder, Chopin´s or Liszt´s?  (Read 5556 times)

Offline rovis77

• PS Silver Member
Which études are harder, Chopin´s or Liszt´s?
on: January 16, 2016, 06:43:48 PM
Which études are harder, Chopin´s or Liszt´s and why?

Offline abbyes

Re: Which études are harder, Chopin´s or Liszt´s?
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:08:08 PM
Liszt's ones ( Trascendental études ), they are more challenging and much more technical demanding than Chopin's ones.

For example, Liszt's trascendental étude nş5 "Feux Follets" is one of the hardest pieces ever wrote for piano.

Offline aksels

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:08:36 PM
I would have to go with chopin, I believe that Chopin is easier but eading and incredibly hard to master, and chopin does not give you any breaks. Even in something like feux follets, we have a chance to slow down, do some rubato, music also gives some plain chords within itself, gives us a break, and honestly, few missed thumb notes may not even be noticable, on the other hand when we look at something like op.10/1,2, they ask for a true master. It does not stop, and every note is in sight, there isn't really room for a mistake that would not affect the overall flow. for example the chasse neige is an etude based on creating an effect with the tremolos. There is hard to find someone that follows the score note to note, and do every tremolo as written, we cannot apply this to chopin.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 10:03:57 PM
Liszt's are, and I think, by a lot. Some may argue, but their arguments do not change what is preserved on paper.

For example, it is much easier to master the Chopin Etude Op. 25 #6  than to master Liszt's Chasse-neige or Mazeppa. This needs no explanation; it is quite understandable.

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 07:15:04 AM
I think Chopin's are harder to pull off musically, but in terms of technical difficulties, Liszt takes that one
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 03:16:14 AM
I think Chopin's are harder to pull off musically, but in terms of technical difficulties, Liszt takes that one

I don't think Chopin's Etudes require as much musicality as Liszt's.

For example, there is not much difference between the greatest pianist and a mere capable student when playing a Chopin Etude, but for Liszt, there is a big difference musically. (Think about how many times Un Sospiro, La Campanella  and Chasse-neige have been played mediocre-ly... or worse)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 04:46:53 AM
This is not a good question to ask.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 05:07:30 AM
This is not a good question to ask.
This.
Chopin and Liszt's etudes are so far apart in the difficulty spectrum that they're impossible to rank.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert