Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Music schools / Conservatory. I need help.  (Read 2904 times)

Offline abbyes

Music schools / Conservatory. I need help.
on: January 17, 2016, 12:19:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm from Spain, and I'm 19 years old ( on a week, 27th ) and I've playing piano since I was 12. I started late, and thats something I will regret my whole life. My goal, my dream is to be a concertist, a professional pianist and play and participe in international competitions. And I've always worried about my age, I've though that it was impossible, that being a concertist was already impossible for me, since most of the greatest pianist started playing since they were 4-7 years old.

But since a few months ago, I gathered all my confidence, and decided to try it with all my soul. I've got 3 years left of conservatory ( I could make them in one, but I dont think that i'll achieve my goals being impatient ). After that, I have to make an access exam to a Music school / Royal Conservatory ( I do not know how it is called on english ). Actually, im also studying French philology, and I've also have 4 years left, I started this year. But Piano is my priority, I will quit college if it interrupt my piano studies. I want to finish my degree and the conservatory at the same time, and then go to the Conservatoire de Paris. I do not know much of Conservatories around the world, but I wanted to go to Paris because It's a language I can speak, and because the music in spain is very underrated, and there are no good conservatories. So I wanted to study abroad, maybe UK, Paris...but I dont know.

My question is, if you think it's not too late for me to become a concertist, and to study abroad and succeed ? I've never asked this to my piano teacher, because I was afraid. She always said that i'm talented, but I dont know. It's frustating somehow. I dont even think that she knows that it's my goal to be a concertist.

Also, some information about music schools / conservatories, so I can make my choices. I really want to go to Paris, to study there. I want to know how do I access to the Conservatoire the Paris ? Is there any exam or something ? I've researching for some information in their web page, but I'm not sure how to postulate there. I want to know what do I have to do to be admitted there.

If any of you know how, or have any tips for me, I would be very grateful. Thanks and sorry for my english !

Best wishes !

Offline ecobe

Re: Music schools / Conservatory. I need help.
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:30:23 PM
It's never too late to follow your dream. I personally just play piano for pleasure and never thought of making a career out of it. I wanted to be a writer and started with writing for such websited like https://awesomewriter.exposure.co/term-paper but with time I understood that this isn't my cup of tea. So, I decided to apply for a local conservatory. It's a big step but I'd rather live a life and doing things so that later I don't regret anything.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:48:22 PM
Of course it is not too late. What rubbish. I know good pianists who started much later than age 12. You may live for 100 years, what difference should 5 years to and fro make? It is a myth that your brain "stiffens" at the age of 16 and after that you cannot learn anything properly. Just a stupid myth. (MAY have some relevance when it comes to learning a language without a foreign accent, but actually there are exceptions even to this rule.)

So just keep on working diligently and stop asking yourself this question - the question itself is more dangerous than the answer. This worry of yours will affect you subconsciously and make it a self-fulfilling prophecy ...

When it comes to Conservatoire de Paris I know, though, that it is extremely hard to qualify there if you are a foreigner, because they have so few places for non-French citizens. Some months ago I spoke to a friend who studied there 25 years ago - maybe the rules have changed since then - and he told mer they had only 3 places reserved for foreigners and you had to qualify.

Well, this means basically one thing: if you fail to qualify there, it does not mean you are not good enough to become a professional pianist. There are many schools ...

Offline abbyes

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:50:09 PM
It's never too late to follow your dream. I personally just play piano for pleasure and never thought of making a career out of it. I wanted to be a writer and started with writing for such websited like https://awesomewriter.exposure.co/term-paper but with time I understood that this isn't my cup of tea. So, I decided to apply for a local conservatory. It's a big step but I'd rather live a life and doing things so that later I don't regret anything.

I also play piano for pleasure, the pleasure of pleasing people who listen to me. There's nothing I love more than making people enjoy my interpretations, to feel them and understand the emotions I poured into it ( It may sound selfish, but I really love playing for others the music that comes from me)...the vision and the feeling that I have from the stage where I play...it's amazingly satisfacting, the only thing that really fulfills me.

Thanks for your answer, I dont want to regret anything, I'll do my best.

Of course it is not too late. What rubbish. I know good pianists who started much later than age 12. You may live for 100 years, what difference should 5 years to and fro make? It is a myth that your brain "stiffens" at the age of 16 and after that you cannot learn anything properly. Just a stupid myth. (MAY have some relevance when it comes to learning a language without a foreign accent, but actually there are exceptions even to this rule.)

So just keep on working diligently and stop asking yourself this question - the question itself is more dangerous than the answer. This worry of yours will affect you subconsciously and make it a self-fulfilling prophecy ...

When it comes to Conservatoire de Paris I know, though, that it is extremely hard to qualify there if you are a foreigner, because they have so few places for non-French citizens. Some months ago I spoke to a friend who studied there 25 years ago - maybe the rules have changed since then - and he told mer they had only 3 places reserved for foreigners and you had to qualify.

Well, this means basically one thing: if you fail to qualify there, it does not mean you are not good enough to become a professional pianist. There are many schools ...

Thanks you so much. It was really motivating, I nedeed to hear it from someone else...really....and you're totally right, I'll stop asking myself if "I will be able to..." or saying to myself it's too late. I'm going to do my best and practice a lot to achieve my goals. Thanks.

I did some research after I first posted this ( Well, I though noone was going to reply me after all this time and I'm so grateful you guys did...) and there are a lot of foreigners student there...if you're from Europe ( my case ) you just need B1 in French and to qualify ( the only way to acess to the Conservatoire is by a competition they organize ), and yes, it's very hard to qualify. I've got 3 years left and I'll do my best. I'm still not sure about how the access exam works, I'll just keep researching a bit more....

Thanks for your answers, it really meant a lot for me !  :)

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:31:59 PM
Find a stable career in a field unrelated to music, and pursue piano playing for your own enjoyment.
 :)

It is never too late to become proficient at doing something..... but I think you'll find that being a proficient pianist is not enough to make performing a viable career path.

Lots of people get a thrill from performing and being the centre of attention on stage. This is not unusual, and it is not enough to make you marketable as a pianist.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 06:41:46 PM
^agreed

It's not impossible for you to become extremely good it's just that the concert pianist game is very competitive. Just because you can play well doesn't mean that the spotlight will be reserved for you. But if that's your true goal then heads on! Better to try than to not try at all. Godspeed, Abby!

Offline abbyes

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 07:12:29 PM
Find a stable career in a field unrelated to music, and pursue piano playing for your own enjoyment.
 :)

It is never too late to become proficient at doing something..... but I think you'll find that being a proficient pianist is not enough to make performing a viable career path.

Lots of people get a thrill from performing and being the centre of attention on stage. This is not unusual, and it is not enough to make you marketable as a pianist.

Yeah, I'm also finishing my degree at the university, got 2 years left. But you know, piano is the only think that really fulfills me, it's the only thing I love. I never had goals or motivation for anything, and I've done a lot of different things...but the piano is what I really want to do, and I think that playing it for my own enjoyment is not enough for me.

I know that tons of people get that trill in the stage too, and of course I know it wont make me marketable as a pianist. I also know that it's very competitive...but I really want to see it by myself...if I succeed or not it's not the matter. That's at least what I think at the moment.

Thanks for replying ! :)

^agreed

It's not impossible for you to become extremely good it's just that the concert pianist game is very competitive. Just because you can play well doesn't mean that the spotlight will be reserved for you. But if that's your true goal then heads on! Better to try than to not try at all. Godspeed, Abby!

I know, there are thousands of great unknow pianist, I've seen it myself ; I also know it's a very competitive world, but I really want to try it. I dont want to regret anything, not anymore. So I will keep improving my technique and my piano playing this years, and give a try at the Conservatoire de Paris. I've got time and motivation, and since the time is means, perseverance is the key !

As you said, it's better to try than to not try at all.

Thanks again for replying me ! :)

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 07:29:12 PM
because I was afraid.

no room for fear if you are going to be a concert pianist

don't worry so much and learn to play.    Post a vid if you want an honest opinion of your skills and abilities... but no one can answer this question but you.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 08:10:57 PM
But you know, piano is the only think that really fulfills me, it's the only thing I love. I never had goals or motivation for anything, and I've done a lot of different things...but the piano is what I really want to do, and I think that playing it for my own enjoyment is not enough for me.

If you are independently wealthy, or if you have a family that is able and willing to fund your lifestyle, go for it.

If you want to support yourself, find a job and pursue piano as a hobby.

Spend a few years in conservatory, participate in some piano competitions, get some experience on stage. See what it's like with your own eyes!

You can always get a job at McDonald's later if it doesn't work out.

Offline abbyes

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 08:25:03 PM

If you are independently wealthy, or if you have a family that is able and willing to fund your lifestyle, go for it.

If you want to support yourself, find a job and pursue piano as a hobby.

Spend a few years in conservatory, participate in some piano competitions, get some experience on stage. See what it's like with your own eyes!

You can always get a job at McDonald's later if it doesn't work out.

I'm not indepently wealthy nor I have a wealthy family.

That means I'm supposed to put aside the only thing I've ever wanted because it wont be viable ? It's practically the story of my life, putting aside things because there were not "viable". I'm studying french philology at unversity, and my parents and everyone said I wouldnt ever find a job with that. Meh, but I was tired of giving up at everything I wanted to study, so I kept with it.

I'm tired of surrendering at my "goals", but the only real goal I've ever had, as I said, is to become a concertist. Wether I'm able to achieve it or not, doesnt matter. I'll work on a McDonald's my whole life if thats what I need to pay my "lifestyle" !

Thanks for replying :)

no room for fear if you are going to be a concert pianist

don't worry so much and learn to play.    Post a vid if you want an honest opinion of your skills and abilities... but no one can answer this question but you.

Yeah, now I'm all clear of what I want to do. I already posted twice in the Audition room, but they were not challenging pieces at all ( didnt get replies though :p ).

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 08:52:48 PM
I'm not indepently wealthy nor I have a wealthy family.

That means I'm supposed to put aside the only thing I've ever wanted because it wont be viable ?

I never said you needed to put it aside. All you NEED to put aside is the idea that there are fulfilling careers out there in the world for everyone who goes to university.

If everyone who wanted a fulfilling career could have one, there would be nobody to stock the shelves at WalMart, nobody to take my order at McDonald's, nobody to collect our recycling, nobody to assemble our iPhones, nobody to sew our cheap clothes. Everyone would be too busy being concert pianists and marine biologists!

Keep playing, but don't put all your eggs in one basket. I'll go see what you posted in the Audition Room.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 09:04:38 PM
. I already posted twice in the Audition room, but they were not challenging pieces at all ( didnt get replies though :p ).

ok so I went and listened to the Granados which was very nice...love all the Spanish dances and the Liszt which wasn't as nice as the Granados but will be I am sure.

you have a nice way of phrasing and a good sound :)   I don't know whether you will become a concert pianist--being a successful performer depends far more on your own self-promotion and a whole lot of luck--being "incredible" comes in a distant 3rd.  Take every opportunity to perform that you can and get into accompanying now.  Start acting like a pro even if you don't feel like one.

Buena suerte amigo :)

Offline abbyes

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 09:39:27 PM
I never said you needed to put it aside. All you NEED to put aside is the idea that there are fulfilling careers out there in the world for everyone who goes to university.

I never said that ; I know there are many people who doesnt have a fullfilling career even if they went to the university, of course I know that. But I dont want to give up before even trying ( and I know thats not what you're saying ). Everyone wants a fullfilling career, me included, and achieving it or not will depend of many circunstances.

But I do not see my self working on a McDonald's or a Walmart from here to 10 years :) ! ( Nobody does, I suposse )

I do not put all my eggs in one basket, I've considered many options besides my degree and conservatory, but right now, I just wanna focus on my piano, on my own music. I'm far from achieving that, but got plenty of time :)

Anyway, you're right, and I really appreciate your words, you're being realistic and I will consider what you said too ; still, I'll focus on my goals for now.

ok so I went and listened to the Granados which was very nice...love all the Spanish dances and the Liszt which wasn't as nice as the Granados but will be I am sure.

you have a nice way of phrasing and a good sound :)   I don't know whether you will become a concert pianist--being a successful performer depends far more on your own self-promotion and a whole lot of luck--being "incredible" comes in a distant 3rd.  Take every opportunity to perform that you can and get into accompanying now.  Start acting like a pro even if you don't feel like one.

Buena suerte amigo :)

Thanks !

Yeah, I really enjoyed playing Granados, it's a really beautiful piece ! and about Liszt, yeah, I posted that video asking for help to improve it, since I was still learning it ( didnt get it though haha) but I already asked my teacher and worked together in the piece. Now I can play it much better :) anyway, im still working on it.

Thanks for watching them and commenting them :). And I agree, being a succesful performer depends more on being in the right place in the right moment than being incredible as you say. And I'm farm from being incredible right now :P

I always play when I have the chance. This 22th february im performing on another city ! I got selected in an auditions which were made a month ago ! :)

Muchas gracias, haré todo lo que pueda !

Sorry for my english :p

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 12:15:41 AM

;D lo siento por mi espanol...  soy una gringa pero a menos yo puedo decir unas pocas palabras...

me gusta Telemundo... ja ja ja 

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 03:50:20 AM
Well, here is a quote from one of my musical idols, Robert Fripp ;D

"I recommend my students not to be professional unless they really have to be. I tell them, 'If you love music, sell Hoovers or be a plumber. Do something useful with your life."

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 06:30:56 AM
If you get a degree in Europe but never succeed in becoming a full time concert pianists, you can always become a piano teacher. That's what most people around here end up doing after studying piano in the higher institutions. Some still give concerts (like mine), but they still get their main income from teaching. It's a flexible job enough to allow preparing repertoire and you don't have to work at McDonalds.

Offline abbyes

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 04:47:57 PM
Well, here is a quote from one of my musical idols, Robert Fripp ;D

"I recommend my students not to be professional unless they really have to be. I tell them, 'If you love music, sell Hoovers or be a plumber. Do something useful with your life."

Well, I do not agree with that quote at all !! I dont even understand it. If I become a professional it's because I want to, not because I have to...:p

And it also depends of what you call "professional".

Maybe im taking it so literally  ;D

If you get a degree in Europe but never succeed in becoming a full time concert pianists, you can always become a piano teacher. That's what most people around here end up doing after studying piano in the higher institutions. Some still give concerts (like mine), but they still get their main income from teaching. It's a flexible job enough to allow preparing repertoire and you don't have to work at McDonalds.

Yeh, I know. Some of the teachers of my Conservatory are concertists too and active musicians, but they get their main income from teaching I suppose. Anyway I never liked the idea of teaching, but sounds better than selling combos and chips ^^.

Music industry is reaaaaally hard nowadays :p still, there are many new ways to self-promote yourself too these days, much more than before :p

;D lo siento por mi espanol...  soy una gringa pero a menos yo puedo decir unas pocas palabras...

me gusta Telemundo... ja ja ja  

Jajaja, no pasa nada ! El castellano es un idioma complicado !

Saludos !  ;)

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 05:11:20 PM
and you don't have to work at McDonalds.

yes because isn't that far more terrifying than playing the piano in front of people?

greeter at Walmart is another wonderful prospect for unemployed musicians... 8)

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 05:22:34 PM
Hi Abbyes,
you say "Well, I do not agree with that quote at all !! I dont even understand it. If I become a professional it's because I want to, not because I have to" in response the Fripp quote.
I would posit that Mr. Fripp was meaning 'compelled' -- as if one could do no other - an inner (bon)fire, if you will -- something a bit stronger than 'want' - as you say --

ps… Listen to his (searing)solo in "Scary Monsters" or "Fashion"  ;D

4'33"

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 05:32:15 PM
Hi Abbyes,
you say "Well, I do not agree with that quote at all !! I dont even understand it. If I become a professional it's because I want to, not because I have to" in response the Fripp quote.
I would posit that Mr. Fripp was meaning 'compelled' -- as if one could do no other - an inner (bon)fire, if you will -- something a bit stronger than 'want' - as you say --

for the record...  I was thrust into it.   I was a happy go lucky casino dealer who had dropped out of music school. Then I lost my job, won 5K in music equipment, and landed a fulltime gig in a 72 hour period.  It was be a cocktail pianist or work at McDonalds--and it was exactly, as you say,---as if I could do nothing else--- something far greater and more compelling and quite a bit stronger than "want."  Plus the speed at which it happened was quite overwhelming. Since then I have reinvented myself many times musically speaking but it somehow always works out.

of course, I do realize that my experience may be considered unique among musicians... but not as unique as one might imagine.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert