Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Value of partnering  (Read 996 times)

Offline irrational

• PS Silver Member
Value of partnering
on: January 21, 2016, 03:29:16 PM
Hi there.

I have been wondering, since a goal is to one day play a concerto (A few years away), what values there are in playing with someone now?

I can think think of a few positives like learning to really play to the score and keeping time properly etc.
But is it that difficult a skill to learn?
Is there a real worth in trying to find someone to play with? And if so, what?
Voice? Violin? Flute? Something else?

As always any opinions are welcome!

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Value of partnering
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:04:19 PM
Sure. It's fun to play with someone else, flute, violin, voice, recorder, anything is fine.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 12:05:05 AM
ANY ensemble work you can do, especially as a pianist, is invaluable.
As primarily solo artists we can get caught up in our own beautiful melodic lines. It's vital to get someone to make sure your abilities to keep on track haven't faded.
And besides, ensemble music has some of the greatest repertoire out there :)

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:40:30 AM
My girlfriend made me accompany her a lot when she was practicing for her concertos. I'm far from a decent accompanist, but it was really good practice for the both of us, especially the whole idea of a steady tempo, listening to the other person, and other stuff like that that you can only experience with another living, breathing being

Also it's really fun

Except when she yelled at me for screwing up so much LOL [sight reading]
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline michael_c

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:31:27 AM
If you are asking that question, then you really, really need to start making music together with other people, to find out what you are missing out on.

Ask around: string players, wind players and singers all need accompanists to play most of their repertoire, so you shouldn't have a problem finding partners.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert