Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: On Snow  (Read 1469 times)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
On Snow
on: January 22, 2016, 02:43:46 AM
Hi,
   My area is experiencing an unusually dry winter. Temperatures have dropped to -8 degrees Celsius, but it hasn't snowed.
    I'm wondering, if all of my schoolmates all sprayed 50% of their makeup and anti-wrinkle moisturizer into the air, it would start snowing, n'est-ce pas?

Offline abel2

Re: On Snow
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:53:54 AM
Hi,
   My area is experiencing an unusually dry winter. Temperatures have dropped to -8 degrees Celsius, but it hasn't snowed.
    I'm wondering, if all of my schoolmates all sprayed 50% of their makeup and anti-wrinkle moisturizer into the air, it would start snowing, n'est-ce pas?
Why would you want it to snow?

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:22:34 PM
Why would you want it to snow?

To miss school

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:04:29 AM
People don't have to go to school because of snow?? Never happens here...

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:15:22 PM
I don't like snow. It is rough, coarse and it get everywhere.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:26:50 AM
I don't like snow. It is rough, coarse and it get everywhere.

Why didn't you close your windows!

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 02:08:19 PM
Why didn't you close your windows!

Or put on clothes.
Tim

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 02:20:28 PM
Temperatures in Finland:

+15°C
People in Spain start wearing cap, gloves and quilted jackets
Finns sunbathe

+10°C
French are in vain trying to turn on their central heating
Finns are planting flowers

+5°C
Italian cars won't start
Finns are enjoying their convertibles

0°C
Water freezes
Water in the rivers of Helsinki turns a just a little bit thicker

-5°C
First victims of cold are reported in California
Finns end their Midsummer celebration

-10°C
Scotsmen turn the heat on at their houses
Finns put on their long sleeved shirts

-20°C
Swedes stay firmly indoors
Finns end the barbeque season

-30°C
Half of the Greeks freeze to death
Finns begin to dry the laundry indoors

-40°C
All the fake Santa Clauses move to South
Finnish military cancel their winter manoeuvres due the too warm wather

-50°C
Danes chatter off their teeth
Finns rent DVD's and stay indoors

-60°C
Polar bears evacuate the North Pole
Finnish military winter manoeuvres starts

-70°C
People living in Siberia move to Moscow
Finns get pissed of because Finlandia Vodka can't be kept cold outdoors

-273,15°C
Absolue Zero
Finns say to each other: "Damn it's cold out there!"

-300°C
Hell freezes over
Finland wins the World Cup in football

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 09:30:16 PM
I live along the balmy shores of the Gulf of Mexico.  I was just out driving down the beach and it is spectacular down here today.  It's a little on the cool side, about 55F give or take, but not a cloud in the sky.  Winter precipitation is quite rare this far south but it happens every 10 years or so.

keep your ice and snow... I grew up in that crap... never again.

I do like Finlandia Vodka though :)

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 12:18:33 AM
I liked the Finland tales.
We had our share of snow here ThuFri-, about 6".  The city dug a ditch around my property last week to prepare for the great runoff.  That is why the snowmageddon happened in DC and NYC instead of here.  
I don't need any liquid anesthetic this week, I got a one channel US made power amp running.  I listened to CD's Bizet Carmen and 20 favorite overtures today. Just in time for WFMT-FM service to go into their all Mozart week. (January 23)  Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, Mozart, and now for something completely different, Telleman. Whew, I'm so relieved to turn the radio off.
A stereo amp is on the coffee table undergoing redesign/repair right now, or in a minute after I rest my neck.    Next week maybe, stereo romantic music, that I don't have to play myself.  If this design works as touted on the internet. 

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 02:55:02 AM
+5°C
Italian cars won't start
Finns are enjoying their convertibles
-60°C
Polar bears evacuate the North Pole
Finnish military winter manoeuvres starts
 ;D  ;D  ;D

If it snows here in our country .... must be the END OF THE WORLD ! ! !

My son informs me it is a nice, warm winter (despite the blizzard) so far with temps of minus 2-10 degrees Celsius in Rochester, NY.

But in the past even with knee deep snows and temps up to minus 25 C ... classes go on.  Perhaps it is because almost everyone lives in the campus or very nearby.
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 03:29:32 AM
I don't think it's going to snow there... Knee deep something though.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 04:33:16 AM
Outin, have you heard of the Norwegian town of Tromsø? It's a lovely town positioned just so that from November to January, there is no sunrise, and from May to July, there is no sunset.
Sounds like my ideal home!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 05:16:01 AM
Outin, have you heard of the Norwegian town of Tromsø? It's a lovely town positioned just so that from November to January, there is no sunrise, and from May to July, there is no sunset.
Sounds like my ideal home!

Yeah, I've been there and further up North as well...
It's the same everywhere in Lapland. There's also plenty of room for you to move up there!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:49 AM
snow is fun but blizzards arent.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 06:20:51 PM
Yeah, I've been there and further up North as well...
It's the same everywhere in Lapland. There's also plenty of room for you to move up there!

wow I don't know how you Viking folk do it, really.   I love palm trees and sand and 75F days in January.  My dad's family is from Northern Ontario in Canada and I grew up in Toledo, Ohio--but that's summer weather compared to Scandinavian temps.

I remember being at my grandma's house and throwing water from a glass out the back door and watching (and hearing) it freeze solid before hitting the ground... that's pretty cold.  LOL The only way to get around up there was snowmobiles. That plus the grizzly bears pretty much made my decision to stay in the deep south as an adult.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 07:04:01 PM
wow I don't know how you Viking folk do it, really.   I love palm trees and sand and 75F days in January.  My dad's family is from Northern Ontario in Canada and I grew up in Toledo, Ohio--but that's summer weather compared to Scandinavian temps.

I have no connection to Vikings and I'm not Scandinavian either :)
How to handle freezing weather? Our houses are very warm and we just put on enough clothes when going out..

I have chosen to live in one of the warmest parts of my country. This has been the coldest winter we have had in years and its a bit much, but on the other hand I do like the darkness during winter and I never like it when it's too hot during the summer. So never really considered moving to a warm climate.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 07:11:04 PM
I have no connection to Vikings and I'm not Scandinavian either :)
How to handle freezing weather? Our houses are very warm and we just put on enough clothes when going out..

I have chosen to live in one of the warmest parts of my country. This has been the coldest winter we have had in years and its a bit much, but on the other hand I do like the darkness during winter and I never like it when it's too hot during the summer. So never really considered moving to a warm climate.

oops :)
and here I thought I had ample knowledge of geography and regional cultures.  still way colder where you are than where I am...

apologies

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 07:19:43 PM
oops :)
and here I thought I had ample knowledge of geography and regional cultures.  still way colder where you are than where I am...

apologies

No problem... We don't seem to really belong anywhere...  somewhat stuck between Scandinavia and Siberia up here  ;D

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 08:15:55 PM
No problem... We don't seem to really belong anywhere...  somewhat stuck between Scandinavia and Siberia up here  ;D

Siberia... as a child of the Cold War that brings up visions of Gulag and bad Soviet Union stuff...mushroom clouds, spy planes, and communism... guess it doesn't have that association any longer.  Wasn't there a Russo-Finnish war?  the Finns kicked butt as I recall. 

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 10:25:44 PM
Siberia... as a child of the Cold War that brings up visions of Gulag and bad Soviet Union stuff...mushroom clouds, spy planes, and communism... guess it doesn't have that association any longer.  Wasn't there a Russo-Finnish war?  the Finns kicked butt as I recall. 
I don't know much Russian history, but I do know that in the reign of Peter I, the Russian Empire waged war on Finland. It was the first war Russia won against an European country since the Mongol Invasion.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 10:59:46 PM
I don't know much Russian history, but I do know that in the reign of Peter I, the Russian Empire waged war on Finland. It was the first war Russia won against an European country since the Mongol Invasion.

thank you very much guess I had that one backwards. I will have to remember that if I am ever on Jeopardy.

I'll take Russian history for $1000, Alex.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 04:19:12 AM

Actually there was no Finland those days. The war was against Sweden.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 04:23:01 AM

We had a couple of wars with Soviet Union during the last century. We didn't actually kick but, we lost in the end, but managed to stay independent even though we stupidly thought the Germans would help us get back to our big neighbour  ;D

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 04:37:14 AM
X.x.x.x.x..  There's also plenty of room for you to move up there!

GOD!! sounds like Siberia! must be depressing sometimes. ;D
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 04:52:45 AM
Interestingly enough, Tromslo has stunningly low rates of seasonal depression; the winter months are celebrated instead of dreaded.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert