Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Prelude No. 5 ("Sorrowfully")  (Read 1139 times)

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
VIDEO: Prelude No. 5 ("Sorrowfully")
on: January 25, 2016, 07:26:50 PM
Sorrow, struggle, serenity.  Prelude No. 5 is the centerpiece of the Nine Preludes, spiritually as well as numerically.

I think this is one of my best recordings.  I have both a non-score and a score version for ir.  So take your pick, and let me know your suggestions or comments!  I'm constantly looking for improvements, whether in expressiveness, pianistic technique, or recording methodology.

Currently, the score for the whole nine-prelude set is available through AJ Long's website:  https://ajlongspiano.com/store

Offline siveron

Re: VIDEO: Prelude No. 5 ("Sorrowfully")
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:20:29 AM
I love what you did with it, great stuff!

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:05:00 PM
Thanks, Siveron!  Listening again now, I hear a lot of little imperfections in my technique that bother me, although I think I conveyed the spirit of the composition pretty well.

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 11:23:28 PM
For the theoretically-minded:  One thing I neglected to mention is that although I've been offering the Nine Preludes here one by one, there is a definite structure to the whole set.  So far I've presented:

No. 1 in D-Sharp Minor
No. 2 in G Major
No. 3 in F-Sharp Minor
No. 4 in B-Flat Major
No. 5 in A Minor

From that information it should not be hard to infer the key of Prelude No. 6 (or at least, to narrow it down to one of two enharmonically equivalent keys), and also to plot out the key centers for the set as a whole.

In addition to the key structure, there are certain other symmetries within the set.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:42:43 AM
This is a very beautiful piano piece. The underlying psychic message and the force of your musical personality are coming out loud and clear, don't worry about that. I honestly don't think structures, keys, technique and the rest matter that much in comparison. I like spontaneity and a bit of roughness and woolly thinking with this sort of music, and notation is an approximation of the sound, not vice-versa. If I were you, I would put all my energy into the core process, the actual implementing of the creative drive rather than polishing the end products of that process, if that doesn't sound too fatuous. You do have something vital to say in the idiom and you are saying it very well; just keep on doing so with increased frequency and intensity.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:35:57 PM
Thanks for your comments, Ted.  You're certainly right that the "psychic message" is much more important that key structures, and I'm glad to know that the former is coming across.  When I composed the set, the key structure was one of several devices I used to give unity to the set as a whole, but when I was working on the individual preludes, I wasn't thinking about that.

As for pianistic technique, I guess I'm a bit hyper-concerned about that right now because I'm getting ready to record one of the later preludes where any technical flaws (such as little unevennesses) will be more exposed than in this one.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert