Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Wite-Out / white pencil, etc. to block out markings  (Read 1374 times)

Offline omccreary

• PS Silver Member
Wite-Out / white pencil, etc. to block out markings
on: January 25, 2016, 10:59:17 PM
I'm reading from a photocopy of a score with someone else's markings (fingerings, accents, etc.). In some cases I want to ignore the fingerings and use my own.

I can't erase fingerings that are in the existing photocopy, of course.

Is there any way to block out existing markings in a photocopy? I've tried Wite-out, and it works in principle, but it's sometimes hard to wipe out exactly what I want to without also wiping out existing markings. For example, if a fingering is on top of a staff or on top of a bar line, it's hard to efface the fingering but leave the lines intact.

Is there any other option? Is there such a thing as a white-colored pencil that will work for this purpose?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Re: Wite-Out / white pencil, etc. to block out markings
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 03:02:33 AM
Hi omccreary,

I just finished several hours of heavy editing with wite out. I know exactly how you feel. I will share some of my tips for your consideration.

1. It helps to have a brand new wite out. When it starts to dry out and gets crusty it's harder to control where it goes.

2. Shake the bottle often.

3. Wipe the brush after every dip and/or clean the tip of the applicator frequently. Think of painting a room in your house.

4. I have a blotter ready to reduce excessive application. This is just inevitable so it pays to be prepared.

5. I have a supply of black ink pens. It really helps if you have a steady hand.

6. I have drawn the lines back in. I have filled out partially wited out notes.

7. Articulations can be the most problematic. If I need to put in a phrase mark or edit one, YIKES!

8. I often wite out a fingering. It's a perfectly good fingering, it's just in the way so I wite it out and then I do what needs to be done and then put it back (usually larger since I have bad eyes) in a more convenient location.

In my opinion this is just another skill that you will get better at with practice, Joe.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 06:12:50 AM
I write the fingering I want over top.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline omccreary

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 03:42:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

hardy_practice: That's the normal thing to do, of course, and it works fine for practicing. But for a performance score that I'll be reading quickly while performing, the extra markings can be distracting and confusing. That's why I'm trying to figure out a neater way.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 04:50:52 PM
I'm reading from a photocopy of a score with someone else's markings (fingerings, accents, etc.). In some cases I want to ignore the fingerings and use my own.

I can't erase fingerings that are in the existing photocopy, of course.

Is there any other option?

Thanks for any suggestions.
yes. buy a new score.
request an inter library loan of a clean copy then image those you need for yourself to use until you purchase a new score.
purchase clean used/new old stock score.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert