Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: La Campanella (Horrible?)  (Read 2184 times)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
La Campanella (Horrible?)
on: January 25, 2016, 11:47:59 PM
Hi, this is me attempting La Campanella.
https://soundcloud.com/dong-harris/la-campanella

I know that I'm just too dull and lifeles,, any suggestions?

Offline distantfieldrelative

Re: La Campanella (Horrible?)
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 01:37:59 AM
I think horrible may be too strong of a word. Suggestions? Maybe invest in a better microphone. Other than that I cannot make out. Definitely was not the worst rendition I have heard.

Bravo
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:21:40 AM

Hey, you're pretty awesome there, Emily.  Thanks for posting this...   In spite of the issues with the tonality of the upper register I liked this quite a bit.   No it's not horrible at all.  May I commend you on your bravery to post Liszt here at PS. I am thrilled to know there are chops to back up your posts and my respect for you as a musician has just doubled.

I would like to see a HD/HQ vid of you playing this when it's polished and perfect.

;D

Offline eladbu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 08:06:52 AM
Hey, I think its actually not bad at all.
I think you should play the high regiater more calmly ,it is to ""strong"" for my taste.
and you need to get a better recording machine.
Nice work.

Elad.

theholygideons

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:47:53 AM
Hey, I think its actually not bad at all.
I think you should play the high regiater more calmly ,it is to ""strong"" for my taste.
and you need to get a better recording machine.
Nice work.

Elad.
You can't really say that she is being heavy handed, since the issue is that her microphone is not a high quality instrumental microphone which can pick up large dynamic ranges.

Regarding issues not related to balance in sound, I think the bulk of her technical facility is there. OP just needs to practise the leaps more thoroughly to prevent any mishits, and eliminate any unnecessary tension by making sure that the right muscles are selectively activated (a lot of teachers instruct the student to roll their wrists or what not, but that is bullshit, the source of the issue is usually in the activation of the wrong muscles).

That being said, I think you're only 50% of the way to mastering La Campanella, but don't give up.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:24:26 AM
You are so cute Rubinstein

So cuteee

I thought it was fine, but then again I'm nowhere near your level. So..useless opinion is useless.

though your sort of low self esteem is encouraging me to post more recordings... :D time to flood ps with crappy recordings muahahahahah

theholygideons

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:39:24 AM

So cuteee
As in Yuja Wang cute? :O. I'm imagining inappropriate things now.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:01:51 AM
As in Yuja Wang cute? :O. I'm imagining inappropriate things now.

Cute as in her personality is adorable. Idk what she looks like and honestly, idc

She's like 12 lol

and besides, Yuja is sexy not cute. damn legs are too fine.

theholygideons

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 11:03:04 AM
She's like 12 lol
even better. Cos I'm 70. And you're 55, so you can join in, too.

mjames, my homie, bring it in, bring it in. I'm just messing with you *hugs*.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 02:40:03 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 02:51:30 PM
though your sort of low self esteem is encouraging me to post more recordings... :D time to flood ps with crappy recordings muahahahahah

God help us all.

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 03:25:10 PM
It's most of the way there, if one is to make allowances for the recording quality, and whatever is going on with part of the high treble area of the piano..

Needs a little more fluidity and relaxation though to take it to the next level; it's slightly stiff and cumbersome in places. "Knowing" you are going to hit virtually all the jumps is a big help in this respect, as opposed to doubt in the mind. Ideally, you should be able to hit the vast majority of the jumps with the room lights off, or with your eyes closed (it's about subconsciously internalising the keyboard topography).
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 05:27:48 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!   personally that was more than good!
Removing the smokescreen created by the microphone and the
chaos from the high input level resulting in a distorted recording,
I think you played it better than my son Enzo when he was 12. ...
you are 12 are you not?

WAY TO GO !!

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 06:27:07 PM

It is VERY easy for listeners to comment offhandedly their thoughts and (particularly) criticisms. Not everybody on piano street is a competent pianist, or even pianist at all,

how true :)

and even among those of us who are actually pianists--there are few who played LC at 12 years old.  AWESOME JOB                                                                                                                                                                 

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 01:04:19 AM
X.x.x.x. . Not everybody on piano street is a competent pianist, or even pianist at all, and so simply cannot appreciate the work required to tackle not just these monster compositions, but even easier pieces before telling you how their "favourite god-like pianist, performed it blindfolded with one hand behind their back note perfect"... (underscoring mine)

Are you suggesting that only violinists (not even pianists) can appreciate the work and effort put into playing a monster composition like Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D major? or for that matter only a high-caliber painter can appreciate the effort and work put in by Michelangelo into his Sistine Chapel works ....  or did you mean that many "incompetent" pianists and non-pianists may not be able to "appreciate the work required to tackle not just these monster compositions" rather than "simply cannot appreciate" ?  :( as you sweepingly stated.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 10:51:26 AM

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 04:05:10 PM
Thank you for your clarification but I still fully disagree with your comment that - "Not everybody on piano street is a competent pianist, or even pianist at all, and
so simply cannot appreciate the work required to tackle not just these monster compositions, but even easier pieces ..."
.  (underscoring mine).

You are simply telling us that only a pianist can truly appreciate the work and effort that goes to playing a monster piece .... just like, it will require a violinist to truly appreciate the effort into or a painter to realize the work that goes into a masterpiece.  It is not my purpose to debate but rather to state an opinion that your statement for me is is too sweeping a generalization.  And, you misunderstood the violin analogy. I am of the belief that artists and even artisans who have spent much time and effort, perhaps their lifetime perfecting their art & skill can truly empathize with the effort and work poured by other artists and artisans even of a different discipline.

Apologies to Emily for this side discussion .... this will be my last post here, since
adodd81802 has clearly stated his/her point of view.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 09:26:02 PM
Still room to grow, but definitely very good.
To be honest, I never expected this kind of playing from you. Nicely done.
But that audio quality...

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 12:42:28 AM
OK, thanks everyone, I'll heed your suggestions.
But you guys are too sympathetic towards me; and instead of bringing out the truth you keep it behind your backs, trying to comfort me instead. Please understand that when you do this, it only makes my feelings worse. My question is, how is it possible that I am not the worst you've heard? (Personally, I  can't imagine someone playing worse   :'( )

I'll post an update when I feel I've progressed significantly enough to sound like night and day. Next time, I'll try not to play worse than a MIDI  :P

Thanks, Emily  :D

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 12:43:28 AM

So cuteee

I've been told  :D

encouraging me to post new recordings

YES! Post some Scriabin Preludes

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 06:20:31 PM
OK, thanks everyone, I'll heed your suggestions.
But you guys are too sympathetic towards me; and instead of bringing out the truth you keep it behind your backs, trying to comfort me instead. Please understand that when you do this, it only makes my feelings worse. My question is, how is it possible that I am not the worst you've heard? (Personally, I  can't imagine someone playing worse   :'( )

I'll post an update when I feel I've progressed significantly enough to sound like night and day. Next time, I'll try not to play worse than a MIDI  :P

Thanks, Emily  :D

This attitude is very unhealthy, Emily.   You mistrust those who tell you that you play well and feel that they are hiding something from you.   who has told you that you do not play well and who are you comparing yourself to?   You are tearing down your playing before anyone else has a chance to comment.   This is a defense mechanism... and a learned behavior. 

this makes me very sad.. :'(

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 03:10:55 AM
This attitude is very unhealthy, Emily.   You mistrust those who tell you that you play well and feel that they are hiding something from you.   who has told you that you do not play well and who are you comparing yourself to?   You are tearing down your playing before anyone else has a chance to comment.   This is a defense mechanism... and a learned behavior. 

this makes me very sad.. :'(

It's a good thing I'm no Orpheus :P

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 03:22:19 PM
It's a good thing I'm no Orpheus :P

the one who looked back as he climbed out of hell and lost Euridice?

not gettn the reference but stop downing your playing no matter how bad you think it sounds. There are enough people out there who will knock you back without you beating them to the punch...  for crying out loud you are 12 years old and you play Liszt.   I am not feeling a lot of sympathy for you in this area for you are far better than I was at 12.

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 09:53:57 PM
Well if you so badly want to hear it's horrible... it is horrible!

But only in terms of sound quality. Easily some of the worst I have yet heard. The playing, insofar
it can still be heard in the grossly distorted and clipped coda, is audacious and assured. Sure there are quite some little accidents but nothing that can't be cured over time. I would not mind being able to play this little devil like you do.

Now stop flagellating yourself and be a bit proud that you can do what zillions of people can't.
Oh and invest in a decent wav recorder  ;D

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 10:34:08 PM
the one who looked back as he climbed out of hell and lost Euridice?

not gettn the reference but stop downing your playing no matter how bad you think it sounds. There are enough people out there who will knock you back without you beating them to the punch...  for crying out loud you are 12 years old and you play Liszt.   I am not feeling a lot of sympathy for you in this area for you are far better than I was at 12.

Well OK, but just in 3 weeks I will be celebrating my 4th birthday, whoopee.

I wonder if in Orpheus' time did they have leap years?

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 08:23:17 AM
Wrong notes happens.  They'll go away eventually.
The problem I have is that I didn't get to know you any better. So there is nothing personal in this piece, right now.

I like to sort of turn pieces upside down - play slow where it's fast, and loud where it's soft... and sort of come up with things. There are billions of Campanellas out there, so just another one won't work.

If you're 12 though, you're obviously doing a great job.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert