Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Life, death and almost everything else.  (Read 1365 times)

Offline distantfieldrelative

Life, death and almost everything else.
on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:06 PM
 I'm writing this on my phone so please forgive any kind of spelling mistakes or misplaced letters things like that that would constitute a kind of deal written paragraph well not really a paragraph more of a dissertation but anyways I hope that you can appreciate or at least laugh at this gigantic massive words that I'm about to write. Over the past few weeks well not really weeks more like months and years I guess I've been reading lots of books my camp by Adolf Hitler, In search of lost time and other trinkets of history  and I begin to understand that no matter how old somebody is they truly are steeped in biased. For instance my parents believe that they have gained the proper balance between the views of their generation and their parents and my grandparents believe the exact same thing and I have no reason to believe that that hasn't continued on for pretty much the entire history of mankind.

So everyone believes the same thing about themselves. Everyone will think the same thing because we are pretty much the same person and have no real differences. What you do will eventually be forgotten and buried in the sand of time. That's such w common fear. The idea that whatever we do will never really matter and perhaps that is sadly true. Maybe we will never amount to anything on our own. Does that mean that all of us are depressed or logical? Or both. Logically why wouldn't we be depressed because of the obvious fact that whatever we do doesn't really matter?

About biased view it is very interesting all the phenomena that occurred or will occur or is occurring all around us. An elderly gentleman sees a group of teenagers with their tattered pants and cigarettes in their mouths. What does he think? Their rap music or rock and roll along with their fouls use of language is ample evidence that the Earth will be dead in only a few decades as long as this goes on. But to the teenagers everything is fine. Their language is normal and what's wrong with the music? To the elder it is the end of the world and to the teens it is hardly the beginning of their lives. But shouldn't we listen to the elder? After all he has seen more than all of us. He has seen the world progress and now it just can't get any "worst".

But we can't. Even though he or she may be a man or woman of considerable age they are not all knowing or all seeing. They see a new generation of losers. They have no want to work and they just want fun and violent and brutal music. Words like twat and *** are the tell tale signs of the world sinking. But they are not. Their grand genaration had the exact same things ice or take a few ideals. It's never really as big a deal as anyone thinks.

People think that their biased is different from all other because of one idea. Theirs is right. But it's not. It's just different. It is not the right way just a right way. Don't eat meat or do. You still die. Don't steal. You still die. Don't kill. You still die. Of course some ideas have stood the test of time and have been accepted by many as good Standards. For instance don't kill. That is a good idea for more than obvious reasons. Don't kill people. It's obvious.  However. Don't listen to rock music. Some things aresimply indifferent. Now you could say that the reason people of age tend to dislike rock music is because it is new and they do t understand it. That may be partially true but consider that it's because they are too concerned with keeping their idea of right "right". I meant listen to that trash and I cannot smoke weed.

Why? Because smoke is bad for your lungs? Good reason but because weed is the plant of Chernabog? That's absurd. Reason can be a large part of how you live your life. To be or not to be or not to even care at all. Conflict arises not because one way is right and the other wrong but because people do not understand or want to understand the other side. Why don't people want to understand everything and thereby create at least one island of reason that could reasonably combine with other islands to start the start of a new generation of thinking.

Because in part because of their convictions. A prime example is the idea that the earth is 6k years old versus 7 billion or what ever hey say. Most who belive it's 6k don't even want to hear he reasoning for the other side because they are convicted to their beliefs. Why not listen to their side? If he earth is truly 6k years old than any kind of evidence will only be able to strengthen your view. And the same argument can be used the other way around. I'm not saying that this argument matters, I'm just using it for example.

History repeats itself. That can be agreed upon more often than not so its a good assumption that the thoughts that you have day to day are in part the same thoughts that humanity has had from its beginning. Yet the world is much more different now than it was decades ago. Magnificent scientific achievement has been made time and time again in the last few century's than ever before. I am writing this on a piece of glass the size of a wallet while flying down the road at 60 kilometers per hour and never before has this been possible. If I were transported back in time with half the technology on my person I would be burned because I would be a witch.

This great time has given us many great things but it has also destroyed our land. We have uber high rates of cancer in parts of the world with smog so thick it's like smoking cigars and in other places we have dead lining the streets because of some  disease. Global warming and crime rates through the roof. Why? Because of the people. Humanity is for the most part a gigantic stain. We kill each other for long dead plant matter and then we pretend to be friends after. Even the country's who say they are based on freedom are not only part of this decaying state but they are the biggest parts. America land of the free as long as you are white. This state has come a long way from those beginnings but it is still a problem.

But it's not really all that bad. Our view of this issue of global warming of murder is warped by somthing or rather. Thus don't burn me at the stake for proposing a different idea.

There I have something else to write about. Human failure is a very large part of our lives. We as music lovers are very aware of this. We have missed notes and wrong tempi. We viciously point them out to each other in the hope that we are helping them. But we are not!!! We are telling them things they already know. It's ridiculous. What should we do instead of point out wrong notes? I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer that. But why do we feel the need to point out others mistakes. Because it showes that we are better than them because we have the ability to find their mistakes? Perhaps or maybe because we simply don't know what else to say? If you want to be critical of a recording don't say that it is inconsistently played. Say somthing about its essence. The soul of it is what matters.

But what we do can matter. If no one had any ambition we would be living in caves without sunlight. Those who find their way out of the cave are the ones who can change the world but those who do not are the ones who's actions do not matter.

My phone is almost dead so I leav this here. Maybe I will continue later.

Au revoir.
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Life, death and almost everything else.
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:51:28 PM
But what we do can matter. If no one had any ambition we would be living in caves without sunlight. Those who find their way out of the cave are the ones who can change the world but those who do not are the ones who's actions do not matter.
Did you know that's Plato?
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:11:57 PM
Yes I did. Glad you noticed that.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:17:53 PM

So everyone believes the same thing about themselves. Everyone will think the same thing because we are pretty much the same person and have no real differences. What you do will eventually be forgotten and buried in the sand of time. That's such w common fear. The idea that whatever we do will never really matter and perhaps that is sadly true. Maybe we will never amount to anything on our own. Does that mean that all of us are depressed or logical? Or both. Logically why wouldn't we be depressed because of the obvious fact that whatever we do doesn't really matter?

Strangely enough in the book I'm reading about an hour ago he says "Just before my mother died at age 97, I asked her what she had learned from her long life...she answered tersely "So what?"  He ends up asking it  three times with the same answer.  Her dying words are "In the end, I am only an ordinary person.  No one special.  No one to be remembered.  Nothing."
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:19:43 PM
What book?

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 09:29:13 PM
On Being Certain by Robert Burton, M.D.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 09:33:12 PM
I'll have to read that as well.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:50:30 PM
Death is the great leveler but life needs to be lived.  Here's Wilhem Reich (I was reading the other day) "Once you know that you are somebody, that you have a correct opinion of your own and that your field and your factory have to serve life and not death, then you will be able to answer your question for yourself.  You will not need diplomats for that.  Instead of going on yelling, Heil, and decorating the tomb of the 'Unknown Soldiers', instead of letting your prince Inflatus or your Marshal of all proletarians trample your national consciousness you should oppose them with your self-confidence and your work consciousness.'  (his italics)  from Listen, Little man (1948).
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:57 PM
I was getting to that point and was planning on expanding upon it quite a bit but my phone did not allow it. Maybe I will write the rest later today.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 10:00:10 PM
Reich is saying everyone must have, and act upon, their own opinions not those borrowed from others.  That's a very great responsibility and what life is actually about.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 10:04:18 PM
Well now there is no point in writing.lol

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 07:09:26 AM
No.  There's no point looking for a point - we need to make our own.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert