Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: A few questions on Wilde Jagd pedaling  (Read 2098 times)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
A few questions on Wilde Jagd pedaling
on: January 29, 2016, 01:41:50 AM
Wilde Jagd isn't nearly as hard as I thought it was. I just have 2 questions for pedaling. Should it be taken seriously in the very first part and in the middle section? I have attached my playing of it strictly with book pedaling, and with how I think it sounds best, for both parts.

File 1: The first part with book pedaling
File 2: The first part with my pedaling
File 3: The middle part with book pedaling
File 4: The middle part with my pedaling.

What do you think? Should it be played as written?
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: A few questions on Wilde Jagd pedaling
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 02:22:07 AM
Pedal markings, with a few notable exceptions (one bring the Beet. Sonata in my sig), are mostly just advice, especially if you're playing out of something like Alfred.
Whatever sounds best to your ear. I'm on mobile right now so I can't listen.

Offline thirtytwo2020

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 10:32:33 AM
Pedal markings, with a few notable exceptions (one bring the Beet. Sonata in my sig), are mostly just advice, especially if you're playing out of something like Alfred.
Whatever sounds best to your ear.

I would say that as a general rule, you should study pedal markings quite carefully if they were made by the composer. Or course, quite often they are not as exact as other indications in the score, and need to be interpreted and sometimes "translated" to modern conditions. I think you are doing exactly right in seriously considering Liszts markings before making your own decision.

No pedal markings can be taken completely literally in the robotic sense - "press down here and lift here and everything will be excellent". In Wilde Jagd, I think you are right that 1) on the first page you need to change the pedal in a couple of places where it's not indicated  2) the middle section need to be pedalled although there are no markings.

However, in my opinion you should continue to explore the possibility of longer pedals at the beginning. I think your version risks coming out as a bit too dry. In the middle section, I would consider using less pedal, so as not to drown out the characteristic staccato rhythms in the left hand. Of course, this also requires you to use finger pedal, which you are not doing in your unpedalled version.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 02:45:45 PM
Hi thirty two, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the help! And also thank you for you input, Harrison :)
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline suethemoon

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 03:37:49 AM
It also depends on the tempo in which you take the piece. You can sort of get away with more pedalling in Wild Jagd if you are playing the piece in a faster tempo (kissin/Berezovsky for example). Others that take it slow benefit with less pedal as it keeps clarity (Kholodenkos is a good example).

Just general advice judging from your recordings, try to make sure your 5th finger on the chords is voicing better as it is the melodic line. Also make sure to keep the rhythmic drive especially with those dotted quaver/semi quaver chords.

Currently Learning:
Liszt - Spanish Rhapsody
Brahms - Handel Variations and fugue
Beethoven - Appassionata sonata
Chopin - Etude op 10 no 2

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:12:59 AM
I love Kholodenko's recording! It's my favorite! And yes, thanks for the tips, I've just been playing it for a week, so it will improve enormously ;)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 12:48:44 AM
Whoa, you're Orpheus's descendant?  :o :o :o :o
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert