Piano Forum

Poll

Help needed please for starting out.

New starter looking for help please.
0 (0%)
Guidance and help needed please
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Advice for someone just starting out would be greatly appreciated, thanks.  (Read 1307 times)

Offline scottymac

• PS Silver Member
Hello and good day

I am just about to embark on a musical journey and would greatly appreciate some direction in regards to learning how to play the piano. I have very little experience playing and also little knowledge in music theory. To get the ball rolling I have purchased a couple of apps on music theory and also bought a few books. My aim is to be able to write music with lyrics, and also to be able to freestyle and get the music that is flowing around in my head out so I can share it with anyone who wants to listen to it haha.

Thank you very much in advance for any help or guidance, it's greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Scott

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
1st lesson is nobody can tell you how to play the piano.

2nd lesson is you need to know how you want to play the piano and set your goals (seems like you have already) Then find a logical route to achieve your goals. In most situations it involves getting an actual teacher in your field of interest.

3rd Music theory can definitely not be ignored, but if you're aware of piano grades, you actually are not required to take an official theory tests until grade 5, which if you do a grade a year....

4th depending on your age, and if you have had no piano input previously you are unlikely to be musically inclined, so expect to struggle. The concept of each hand playing a different part while your eyes focus on the music and your ears focus on the sound requires a high amount of attention and is very difficult to start out so do not be put off when you inevitably struggle, for me it is a eureka moment where all of a sudden your learn how to split your attention.

5th I don't think you need to be a great pianist to improvise which is good, but to improvise good... you have to have a good understanding of the piano, again something I expect a teacher can help you with.

Few points here, nothing solid and I'm sure others input will offer some better advice.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline stoyo

• PS Silver Member
I'd suggest to follow the "safe" way which is... find a good/great teacher on what style you are interested in and follow the advices you are given. I cant understand how serious you are about playing piano but a discussion with the (good/great) teacher will clear things out and save you a lot of time.

Have a nice journey!

Offline pianocat3

I played piano some as a kid and got up to early intermediate level. Like halfway thru method books. Then I just played easy piano for fun for years and years, and now I've taken it up again. I developed some bad habits without a teacher, and as a kid I had bad habits because I was a kid. Stuff like looking at my hands too much, not counting rhythm, not holding notes for their full value, or holding them too long. So in my strong opinion, a teacher is the way to go. Despite best efforts, bad habits creep in, some the player doesn't have any way to know. Then as you get better, the bar gets higher. You could pedal better, learn tricky rhythms, again a teacher so much help there. It is surprisingly affordable, depending where you live. I have been back in lessons for 9 months now.

I think adodd is right about the theory.  I do highly recommend the great courses music theory DVDs. I got the set at the library. If you have the money, this one is worth purchasing to watch several times. Trouble with music theory courses is you must read music proficiently. This course was designed to teach as much as possible without reading music. My husband, a non musician, got confused fast!! So I'd say play piano a year, then watch it. I learned a lot.

Also I found so much good music thru the University of Iowa pedagogy project on YouTube.

Have fun!!
Currently working on:

Beethoven Pastoral Sonata (Andante)
Debussy Prelude from Suite Bergamasque
Accompaniment music for cello and piano
Summer project is improvisation

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Don't make it a chore. That's probably the best advice I can give you; just make sure you have fun.
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline scottymac

• PS Silver Member
Thank you ever so much for all the replies.

I am gathering from the advice that a teacher is imperative. I am going to throw myself at this as I have always been fascinated at how sounds can evoke different emotions and listening to music just takes me to a special place. I played violin when I was 6 and my teachers told my parents that I was to stick to it as it come to me naturally. I was told by my bigger sister at the time it wasn't cool and I'd get bullied so I dropped it haha.

I have always wanted to play a musical instrument since then but had a lot of distractions in life. After a four and a half year illness which severely debilitated me, I am now back to health and have a new perspective on life. Playing the piano has always been something I wanted to do so the time.

Thanks again for all the advice it's very much appreciated indeed.

Blessings

Scott
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert