Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Pain in forearms means what?  (Read 3165 times)

Offline immortalbeloved

Pain in forearms means what?
on: January 31, 2016, 08:11:44 PM
Hey all,

Recently, actually, just quite recently, I started feeling pain in my right forearm during practice. I felt like I was sitting too close to my piano so I moved my armless kitchen chair back--and pretty amazingly, the pain went away.

But now when I play scales my left forearm hurts.  It is not pain exatly, but I feel a tightness more so than any pain.  So, maybe the chair wasn't the only issue? Does anyone have experience that they can share. I am still quite young and really do dnot want to develop any problems later on.

At my piano school I don't have this problem, but I wonder why. I think my seat is high enough here at my house, but who knows.

Once again, I am forever grateful,

Offline feddera

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pain in forearms means what?
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:46:35 PM
Have you paid attention to the height of your wrists? When I get forearm cramps from scales it's usually because my wrist is too low.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:48:42 PM
try using a bench instead of a kitchen chair--I think that is the main issue.  Standard chairs are a couple inches lower than a piano bench.   Try setting a telephone book on your chair and raise yourself up an inch or two -- if this stops the pain then you know that's the issue.

Offline immortalbeloved

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 10:17:48 PM
Oh very interesting. My teacher actually mentioned that she noticed me dong this. It has become such a habit that I forget when I am doing it.

To DC: I did this! I put a pillow (to my dad's shock) that I usually slept on and an old laptop bag (which my sister suddenly thought she could use). I think it helps, but now they are compressing under my weight. Maybe I'll use my dad's pillow this time ;).

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 12:33:55 AM
It means you've got tension in your arms, likely a result of poor posture, as indicated by your chair issues.
You really should get a proper bench, but if the economics aren't feasible, phone books and pillows work. You could also make a wood "platform", if you will, to sit on, but at that point you're spending more money on supplies and time than you would just buying a cheap bench. You don't need to get an artist bench by any means, most any bench would fare better than a kitchen chair with phone books.
Also- if you are using an electronic piano with a pedal plugged in by a cord, make sure that is parallel with the keyboard. Otherwise you'll be stretching your foot out and your posture will suffer as a result.

Offline michael_c

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:59:47 AM
Certainly the correct bench height is important, but there's much more to it than that. You need to learn more about how your body, how the complex structure of bones and muscles works, how pain you may feel in one part of the body may have its roots in another part...

Have a look at Thomas Mark's site. I recommend his book, "What Every Pianist Needs to Know about the Body".
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert