Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Kosenko, Poem Legend, Op. 12, No. 1 in Em (See GOOD NEWS!!! below.)  (Read 4528 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Viktor Kosenko (1896-1938) was a Ukrainian composer, but also a virtuoso pianist and piano pedagogue.  In his earlier years his principal influences were Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin and Lysenco.  A graduate of the Warsaw Conservatory, he studied piano with Aleksander Michalowski and Iryna Miklashovskaya, and composition and music theory with Mikhail Sokolovsky.  Kosenko composed about 250 works in all—about 100 of those for solo piano--and the other works being orchestral works, concertos, chamber music, chorus works, and songs.  During his short life, Kosenko also held important positions in academia, music circles, and was often a juror at important piano competitions.

I hope you'll enjoy hearing this piece.
Comments welcome.

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”) with lid fully raised.
Recorder: Roland R-44
Mics: Matched pair of Earthworks TC-20 small diaphragm, omni-directional condenser mics in A-B configuration
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Kosenko, Poem Legend, Op. 12, No. 1 in Em
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 01:44:58 AM
For some reason this is not playing on my computer, perhaps others can confirm if they have been able to hear this?? I'm sure you would have had lots of comments rachfan.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 02:53:23 AM
It doesn't play on mine either using the forum player, but I downloaded the file all right and listened to it that way. Impeccably played as usual David. I hear this piece as a series of intense moments, e.g. the climactic section from 0:40 building to 0:59, rather than the embodiment of a predetermined pattern. You are right to treat it with licence and impulsive expression.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 04:40:39 AM
Hi Ted,

Thank you for your comments on this recording.  I think you described my rendition as well as I could have.  This Poem was not an easy one to play.  I had to work hard and frequently on it.

Thanks again!

David  
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 04:47:02 AM
Hi lost,

Yeah, the instant play is blocked, but the download is operating OK.  It takes three minutes or so until the download finishes.

David

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 08:38:21 PM
This shows your strength of interpretation.  You're not afraid to plunge and make the waters turbid.  I hear jazz in this as well.  Ted's characterization of intense moments is how it struck me too.  Do you feel like you perceived the nature of the piece, or rather that you infused it with yourself?  Because as far as I know Kosenko is not well-known, and you would be working with unshapen clay.

Another enjoyable recording. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:42:27 AM
Hi goldentone,

Re your question:  I believe that the upshot of presenting the piece was a combination of the score and my interpretation.  Both came into play.  There was a great deal of angst in this music.  I brought that aspect out unmistakably.  However, I wanted to share just a tinge of my own personality too.  This goes directly to your thought about unshapen clay. Playing Romantic Age pieces of Brahms, Chopin, Liszt and Schumann, I could not have had as much license. I would have to conform to performance practices more so than my own sense for spontaneity and inner feelings. But Late Romanticism goes beyond that, and all the more so playing unfamiliar, obscure and forgotten pieces.  Working within this genre calls for more interpretation from the pianist in order to put it across to the listener.  It means playing beyond the notes to bring out the genius of the composer as I sense it. The nature of this Poem Legend is very powerful indeed.  If Kosenko were here with us now, I believe that he might have complained about a detail here or a nit there, but I also believe that he would have enjoyed the performance overall.  

Thanks for commenting!

David  

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
GOOD NEWS!!!

I was able today to find my original music file for the Kosenko "Poem Legend" at AVS Converter.  (They store them all.)  On this one all of the mp3 factors are now Standard Quality settings.  When I posted this Kosenko piece before, I instead selected "Good Quality" thinking it would be better, but unfortunately it also enlarged the size of the music file to the point where some have not been able to listen.  My fingers are crossed that this will make the listening accessible and enjoyable.  :)

There were about 200 (now reset to zero) or so for downloads before I did the replacement, so I know there is a lot of curiosity and interest about this music. 

I believe that both the download and the instant play both work now.

I appreciate your interest and patience.  Thanks!

David

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:26:15 PM
hi David,

Will not dare comment on the "musical" aspects of the piece except that it is is a piece I can easily like and enjoy ... a "mood" piece for me.  As always it is cleanly recorded and played.  Thanks for the intro-info, which will again expand my music horizon. :)

emill
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 04:00:26 AM
Hi emill,

Thanks for listening!  Yes, this music is definitely caricatured as a "mood piece".  There are some serious tensions there for sure.  This is one of Kosenko's finer and more compelling pieces in my opinion. 

David

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 04:34:50 AM
I'm glad you're still out there unearthing unknown masterpieces and bringing them to our attention. Musical archeology of the recent past, I suppose. I enjoy your sincere passionate playing.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 10:35:39 PM
Hi furtwaengler,

It was wonderful hearing from your again.  Thank you for listening and commenting on my playing of this poem by Kosenko. 

It seems that a great many of the "old crowd" has disappeared from the Audition forum.

Have you been playing recitals lately? Or perhaps you've recorded a piece or two? If yes, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

David 

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 08:17:46 AM
Yes, spending time on a forum such as this I've gotten to know and respect certain people who I've never met, and create bonds through the shared interest of music. I've learned a lot through certain people on email lists and forums. I don't spend much time on the internet now because of time and convenience, and when I've been away for awhile, coming back not recognizing many people I'm not as motivated to post and share. That said, checking the audition room, a traditional favorite place to scroll, I do see there is much to be excited about if only I had the time to listen to it all. And some of the scenery has not changed with you still doing your thing. I'm a music lover. I love music for the sake of loving music, and that's why I'm especially drawn to what you do, which seems for no other reason than you love what you do.

I shared some Busoni and Liszt here: https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=60817.0

I have some Medtner, Scriabin, Tchaikovsky and other things I may put up from little performances from last summer in more informal settings. I just need time to process the files. I'm very busy, have a huge plate of recitals in the next two months and am a bit handicapped to learn what I want to learn (none of which I must learn...it's for the love) because of all the accompanying, opera, and other responsibilities. I'm not sure if it's a strange life, or just life!   
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 09:14:38 PM
Hi furtwaengler

I fully agree with your conclusions on my "living what I do".  I only wish I could do more as I truly love what I do through my recordings. 

The love of playing the piano literature in recital or through recordings is irresistible.  For me, I try to find incredible beauty from the Late Romantic era where some composers were and remain obscure, under estimated, or forgotten.  In a way of speaking, when I or others play this genre of music, those composers live again through their music --truly gems -- which is at last appreciated.

David   
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert