Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Curtis Institute in Philladelphia?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline andrewcorrea

Curtis Institute in Philladelphia?
on: March 24, 2016, 06:54:09 PM
Hi Guys,
 has anyone attended to auditions to enter Curtis Institute? How did that go? I wonder if there is too hard to get in!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Curtis Institute in Philladelphia?
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:24:11 PM
went to school w some students (really really good pianists, they were the best at my school) that tried and didn't get in. the feel is that the auditions are almost a  necessary formality since they probably already know before hand who they want and plan to let in, but in fairness give the mortal plebeians a shot, also gives them a chance to if by some miracle the caliber talent they look for is not on their radar , that they see a missed hot shot and grab them up.

i think others in the past have echoed similar, that it is highly unlikely that if you don't already have some pretty serious critical acclaim or performances and are recognized as a rising star or truly unusually gifted or have a highly recognized (internationally) teacher that has connections/clout and recommends you to them, that it's not likely, but i 'm sure it's a good experience and you should audition, but i would honestly use it as prep for your 2nd and 3rd choice schools.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert