Piano Forum

Topic: Lessons for adult non-beginners?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline pjjslp

Lessons for adult non-beginners?
on: April 01, 2016, 12:22:32 AM
As I was considering posting again for help on the Moonlight Sonata, it got me thinking about the possibility of lessons. I took lessons from age 5 through 17 and then studied with a professor at my university's school of music for one semester before deciding not to major in piano performance.

I suppose I would consider myself a fairly advanced but definitely amateur pianist. For what it's worth, I'm in my mid-40s. What might be the purpose of lessons at this stage? I have no intention of performing publicly or returning to school. As nice as it would be to have a live person to help with some of these stickier spots, is that worth spending the money?

I think my technique is probably not great. I know I'm far too tense at times and I'm also sure there are many other issues. Can technique be fixed at my age after many years of playing? Or are the bad habits I've learned over the years so ingrained that it's unlikely? Or does it even matter, if I'm only playing for my own ears? Will my own playing ever sound good enough to me?

Just curious to hear thoughts on this.

Offline ekolo

Re: Lessons for adult non-beginners?
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:34:21 AM
it is always wonderful to be around other musicians/teachers and get a fresh/ new perspective. I find one can never stop learning in music. New pieces can bring new challenges and a teacher can definitely shine a light and help your technique.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:52 AM
As I was considering posting again for help on the Moonlight Sonata, it got me thinking about the possibility of lessons. I took lessons from age 5 through 17 and then studied with a professor at my university's school of music for one semester before deciding not to major in piano performance.

I suppose I would consider myself a fairly advanced but definitely amateur pianist. For what it's worth, I'm in my mid-40s. What might be the purpose of lessons at this stage? I have no intention of performing publicly or returning to school. As nice as it would be to have a live person to help with some of these stickier spots, is that worth spending the money?

I think my technique is probably not great. I know I'm far too tense at times and I'm also sure there are many other issues. Can technique be fixed at my age after many years of playing? Or are the bad habits I've learned over the years so ingrained that it's unlikely? Or does it even matter, if I'm only playing for my own ears? Will my own playing ever sound good enough to me?

Just curious to hear thoughts on this.

I'm in a partially similar situation, now 26, had lessons between 11-15 ish, and casually played piano on and off, picking up some bad habbits along the way. I have changed a lot in the last 6 months, I actually wouldn't even put that down to specifically piano lessons, but a maturity in my learning in general. I would definitely recommend the consideration of grabbing a piano teacher, maybe even one for casual lessons 2 a month or something?

I don't think bad habbits are ingrained anywhere near as much as we think they are, especially when you are shown a better or more comfortable way of doing something.

I know the example is a bit silly here, but imagine never ever having seeing a person run, and then you develop your own way to run, which is literally running backwards and always looking behind you. You don't know any different, so you only ever run backwards.

One day you go to a running teacher that shows you instead of doing it that way, you can instead run forwards and look forwards! All of a sudden, you can sprint, it feels natural, you can take bigger steps and it's more comfortable.

Now I think if you consider an example like that, while it may not SEEM it, I think incorrect motions in piano can be as easily identifiable as well as the correct ones, and easily fixed.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 08:53:36 AM
I sometimes have a teacher, usually one who is also a professional pianist, genre doesn't matter, sit for an hour and comment while I play a wide variety of music. It costs only a few dollars and sometimes the insight of a knowledgeable stranger is valuable, mostly in the matter of physical technique. Last year I had a jazz pianist who observed two or three peculiar movements. They were not necessarily injurious but the point is that through habit I had no idea I was making them. The musical aspect not so much at my age, I can expand that better myself, but yes, purely for technique it is a good idea. About once a year is sufficient.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline pjjslp

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 03:54:48 PM
I know the example is a bit silly here, but imagine never ever having seeing a person run, and then you develop your own way to run, which is literally running backwards and always looking behind you. You don't know any different, so you only ever run backwards.

One day you go to a running teacher that shows you instead of doing it that way, you can instead run forwards and look forwards! All of a sudden, you can sprint, it feels natural, you can take bigger steps and it's more comfortable.

Actually, that is a very good example. I took up running as a hobby a few years ago, and while I never ran backwards ;), I was running with a gait that caused an injury in my foot. A couple of months with a physical therapist and I was able to correct my gait to something more comfortable that has prevented injury since. I do think I've spent many hundreds or thousands of hours more forming my bad piano habits, but I guess they would still be correctable with some focus.

I appreciate your input!

Offline pjjslp

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 03:57:47 PM
I sometimes have a teacher, usually one who is also a professional pianist, genre doesn't matter, sit for an hour and comment while I play a wide variety of music. It costs only a few dollars and sometimes the insight of a knowledgeable stranger is valuable, mostly in the matter of physical technique. Last year I had a jazz pianist who observed two or three peculiar movements. They were not necessarily injurious but the point is that through habit I had no idea I was making them. The musical aspect not so much at my age, I can expand that better myself, but yes, purely for technique it is a good idea. About once a year is sufficient.

And you haven't had difficulty finding a teacher willing to do just do a couple of lessons now and then? I would happily spend the money on a few lessons but at the moment can't afford the money or time for weekly lessons. The thought of having some professional input sounds wonderful.

Thanks for your reponse!

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 06:57:30 PM
And you haven't had difficulty finding a teacher willing to do just do a couple of lessons now and then? I would happily spend the money on a few lessons but at the moment can't afford the money or time for weekly lessons. The thought of having some professional input sounds wonderful.

Thanks for your reponse!

You can definitely find them. You also have skype / online piano lessons as an option if you have the cameras.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline kalospiano

Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 08:18:45 PM

having different teachers judging and spotting problems in your playing actually sounds like an awesome idea
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert