Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Online teacher using Skype or something?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline recnepspencer

Online teacher using Skype or something?
on: April 02, 2016, 11:32:34 PM
I live in a small town so there are realy no good piano teachers in my area, so I want to take online lessons. What would a good price be for an online teacher, and do you have any recommendations?
Recently learned:
Beethoven- sonata 32, op111, I
Chopin- sonata 2, scherzo
Liszt-Etude 4, S.136
Rachmaninoff-Prelude C Sharp Minor
Learning:
Liszt-Transcendeal Etude 2
Chopin-Etude op25 no 11

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Re: Online teacher using Skype or something?
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:27:55 AM
I think Josh Wright teaches through Skype, look him up on YouTube (Josh Wright Piano TV), he's pretty popular.
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline chomaninoff1

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:25:36 AM
so does bachscholar  ;)

Offline diomedes

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:00:11 AM
I'm not sure with that kind of repertoire online lessons would be effective, but like you said, your options are limited.

I have a student that does one hour lessons through Skype on harmony and other subjects, works great.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:28:45 AM
so does bachscholar  ;)

I wouldn't get him to teach a 5 year old, so I'd ignore that possibility.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:31:09 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:50:51 PM
I would take signatures on learnt repertoire with a pinch of salt to be honest.

salt tastes good with fries and salmon

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 04:32:31 PM
Josh Wright is a wonderful teacher. I'd recommend him to anyone in a heartbeat.

Best,
AJ

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 09:09:42 PM
I've watched some of Josh's lessons.  I think that a person has to have some degree of background and training in order to make use of them.  At a foundation level and to get that kind of foundation I'd look to Jaak Sikk and Piano-ologist.

Offline louispodesta

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 11:02:25 PM
I live in a small town so there are realy no good piano teachers in my area, so I want to take online lessons. What would a good price be for an online teacher, and do you have any recommendations?
I have responded by PM.  Thanks

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 01:37:02 AM
I've watched some of Josh's lessons.  I think that a person has to have some degree of background and training in order to make use of them.  At a foundation level and to get that kind of foundation I'd look to Jaak Sikk and Piano-ologist.
The only training you need for Josh's videos to work wonders is of the English language.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 04:43:50 AM

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 07:38:39 PM
My online teacher is pretty amazing. PM me if you are interested to get his contact info.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline louispodesta

Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 11:12:05 PM
Unfortunately for now, this is the type of discourse you will get in response by making an interrogatory on this website.  This was in regards future instruction (which you so genuinely desire):  So sad!

Hopefully, in the future, there will be a better way.

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 11:16:18 PM
Unfortunately for now, this is the type of discourse you will get in response by making an interrogatory on this website.  This was in regards future instruction (which you so genuinely desire):  So sad!

? ? ?
With all respect, your response was the least helpful...
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 10:43:08 AM
Unfortunately for now, this is the type of discourse you will get in response by making an interrogatory on this website.  This was in regards future instruction (which you so genuinely desire):  So sad!

Several people recommended various teachers, and in some cases they had worked with the teachers in question.  That looks like direct answers to the question.  Why is this sad?  Or what are you referring to?

Offline louispodesta

Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 11:27:40 PM
Several people recommended various teachers, and in some cases they had worked with the teachers in question.  That looks like direct answers to the question.  Why is this sad?  Or what are you referring to?
The bottom line is as follows:

1)  My coach is Dr. Thomas Mark who is the author of "What Every Pianist Needs To Know About The Body," which thousands of university level and private teachers have in their personal libraries.  It is not sexy, it is not in color, and no established music publisher has ever wanted to have anything to do with it.

2)  Yet, most University Music Faculty Chairs in the U.S. use it as a technique "Handbook," which its author, Dr. Thomas Mark, describes it as.

3)  Thomas Carson Mark teaches privately as a technique coach, which in your wildest dreams you have never experienced.  As a philosopher with three degrees from Columbia, he utilizes analysis, its particular causality, and then its associated dynamic to address any technical challenge any student may have.

As stated before in another post:  the first time I sat for a five hour coaching session, I was thunderstruck.  He would play any passage I put before him (on the fly) and then the analysis and solution would follow.  The second time, I just paid attention with all my might because (as I was in my late 50's) this was no my first rodeo in regards a detailed piano coaching session.

Specific, to the OP, this was the second and last time I spent five hours, "each way," on a flight from San Antonio to Portland, OR.  For my second lesson, I brought my own video equipment.

For everyone else, if that is not possible after the first lesson, Dr. Mark offers remote distance learning by film, directly through a download.  In my earlier years, we even did it through the mail (VHS).

So, once again, if any of you can get your arses to Portland for the lesson of your lifetime, I highly recommend it.  (www.pianomap.com)

You tell me when the last or the first time you have ever had a real life philosopher give you a piano lesson?

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 07:16:58 AM
The merit of one good teacher does not make the responses of other members about other teachers a "sad" thing.  I expected "sad" to be if the OP asked about teachers, and was not told about teachers or about studying on-line which was the question.  But that wasn't the case.

Offline musiclessonsanywhere

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 01:43:47 PM

My school rates are 30€ per hour 40€ for Grade 8 and above (paid 4 lessons in advance)

Offline musc3849

Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 03:33:52 PM
Read more about online lessons from this article: https://www.libertyparkmusic.com/finding-time-to-learn-music/

You can try out a few lessons and see how it works for you.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 03:49:38 PM
Yeah I think AJ only took from Josh and look where he has gotten.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline jasonlim9090

Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 06:00:49 AM
I personally wouldn't recommend online teachers. But is it really effective teaching and learning online?

Cheers,
Jason
www.singaporepianohub.com

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 10:06:00 AM
I personally wouldn't recommend online teachers. But is it really effective teaching and learning online?
You haven't stated why you wouldn't recommend them.  Is your question an actual question or is it rhetorical?  If it is a question, have you looked into online teaching, interacted with any, or studied their work or results?  If you have looked into this, and seen poor results, then there would be reason for you not recommending them.

I have worked both in person and online.  I have worked / am working with some excellent teachers online.  I have also had some poor experiences locally.  There are advantages and drawbacks either way, and the bottom line is the quality of the teacher, knowing how to work within whatever system you are in, and the quality of the work of the student.

I'd answer, yes, there is effective teaching and learning on-line, but you have to look for the right person or program.  Good teachers and teaching are a rarity anywhere.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 03:38:43 PM

Cheers,
Jason

Yes.  In my opinion it is effective.  I have just switched from in-person lessons to Skype lessons.  I've only had the first two Skype lessons, but they seem to be just as effective as the in-person ones were.  (same teacher, who resisted Skype thinking it might not mesh with his teaching style, but has changed his mind)  The advantage to me is I can schedule more frequent lessons this way. 
Tim

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 05:53:46 PM
I am wondering whether jasonlim will explain why he gave the advice he gave.  Just saying "I wouldn't recommend it" without explanation is not very helpful, imho.

Offline musiclessonsanywhere

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 05:45:53 PM
Jason, a sweeping statement! I agree with many of the comments above It's all down to the teacher. I've been teaching piano since my teens! around 26 years now phew! I switched to live online teaching nearly four years ago, my exam results are just as good, and students who made the switch are perfectly happy, me too!

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 01:29:11 AM
Every one of Jason's posts have been one-line comments.  It's hard to tell how much thought he put into that comment here, if any.  Nor has he bothered to explain.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert