Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Make a recording of the Rach Paganini!  (Read 2074 times)

Offline stephen22

• PS Silver Member
Make a recording of the Rach Paganini!
on: April 20, 2016, 11:42:57 AM
This is an orchestra-only electronic performance of Rachmaninoff's Paganini Variations. An amateur pianist, I play along with it using my own sequencing software, which allows me to sychronise the music with my playing. Anyone is welcome to download the audio files (it's in 3 parts) - there are no restrictions and the more people play it the better I shall be pleased.

Much of it is quite slow - not entirely because of my own technical limitations, but also because I think several of the variations lose something by being played at the usual breakneck speed (the scherzo and var 24 with those amazing 9ths spring to mind).

The speeds and timing won't suit everybody, and if there is sufficient interest I might be persuaded to make modifications. There are I think free mp3 editors on the internet, and also software to change speed without altering pitch.

If anybody thinks they have this little piece under their fingers, and can supply a reasonably decent audio file of the solo piano part alone (or at a pinch, a MIDI sequence), I could wrap my orchestra round it, and build a track of a complete original performance of the piece. (I've done this a lot and am very good at it).

If anyone is interested, they could in the first instance post or PM me an mp3 of a few variations to demonstrate their prowess. Play at any tempo you want, imagining the orchestra in the background. Don't worry about gaps where the piano isn't playing. Recording should be as dry as possible (i.e. minimum echo) as I would add artificial reverb to match the orchestra.

If this came off, there would obviously also be a customised orchestra-only version available for the lucky pianist!

Offline stephen22

• PS Silver Member
Re: Make a recording of the Rach Paganini!
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 12:16:23 PM
2nd file

Offline stephen22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:18:18 PM
3rd file

Offline stephen22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 06:08:51 PM
A slightly revised version of the 1st file. Someone pointed out tempo issues with colla parte passages in variations 6 and 11. (Not noticed by me because my software brings the orchestra in on time however slowly I play it)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert