Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How much do you guys run?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
How much do you guys run?
on: May 09, 2016, 06:09:47 PM
I hoop every other day so I'm already doing cardio, but I'm gonna start straight up running every day.

My dad told me three miles a day is enough.

How much do you do.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: How much do you guys run?
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 12:34:20 AM
I started a couple years ago.  I'm still undecided about it.  Right now I think it might just be draining energy.

I've heard more than 20 miles a week starts tearing the body down and creates more negative effects, enough to overweigh positive effects.

How much?  2 miles/day is fine.  No stretching even needed.  Doing 3.25 and feeling it for some reason.  I'm rebuilding.  A month ago I was up to 8 miles/day, four in the morning, four in the evening.  That eventually crashed when my leg muscles really tightened up.  Pain conquers all.  I'm curious what next year might look like if 2 miles was pushing it last year.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 12:47:32 AM
I don't run at all now at sixty-eight, and I was never much good at it anyway when younger. I had twenty-five years of competitive hardcourt tennis and if possible I want to avoid joint problems. Therefore my aerobic training comprises exercycling and activities which are not weight bearing.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 12:53:39 AM
walking to class is as close as I'm getting to daily cardio xdddddd
well not anymore, semester's over.

Offline pjjslp

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 01:51:36 AM
Usually 3-ish miles 2-3 times a week and a longer run (4-8 miles) on the weekend unless I'm training for something specific. I do not like to run on back to back days but usually do something else on days I don't run.

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 04:28:03 AM
The only running that I experience is, "running out of money".

I never bothered to try run for fun events, as I have a heart condition which tires me easily. I'll get a cardiac arrest after running for a few kilometers which sucks. That's why i'm so badly out of shape, and couldn't even go to a gym.

with that said.

Piano is my only friend.
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 12:48:19 AM
I actually go the gym on a somewhat consistent basis, but never do cardio. Aside from being boring as hell, it burns very little fat compared to other exercises (abdominal exercise and certain full body ones), and builds more muscle endurance than muscle.
That said, running on a treadmill and running in an actual environment (with realistic inclines and rough trails, etc.) is a lot different and keeps heart rate far higher, b/c your body doesn't really ever get in to a comfortable running pace (depending, of course, on the terrain and if you run the same course).

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 02:51:39 AM
I actually go the gym on a somewhat consistent basis, but never do cardio. Aside from being boring as hell, it burns very little fat compared to other exercises (abdominal exercise and certain full body ones), and builds more muscle endurance than muscle.

Boring as hell...

Yeah low key...

Burns very little fat?
WHAT?????

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 03:05:16 AM
Cardio is not the same as fat burning. Cardio requires much higher heart rate than plain fat burning which is low intensity training and should be at least 30 min long for fat burning to kick in.
Weight training is much more intense and requires more Kcal. In fact it makes your body still burn fat hours after you are done with workout.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 03:07:16 AM
Burns little fat in comparison to other exercises, especially ones where you lift your own body weight.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 06:57:15 AM
Get a bike. Your joints will thank you.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 08:05:01 AM
I was preaching to the choir here I guess.
I used to run 6.2 miles 2 times a week when I lived in the suburbs. I loved it bc I would run in the fields and close to the woods. Fresh air, nice views and soft surface under my feet. I don't like running now bc it is no fun to run on concrete or asphalt alongside traffic. I prefer to go to the gym.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 08:19:28 AM
Mike the Bike - the cyclists' spokes-person - rides again!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 03:16:12 PM
I am indeed a MAMIL.

Thal
Curator/Director

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 05:51:36 PM
Cardio is not the same as fat burning. Cardio requires much higher heart rate than plain fat burning which is low intensity training and should be at least 30 min long for fat burning to kick in.
Weight training is much more intense and requires more Kcal. In fact it makes your body still burn fat hours after you are done with workout.

Not all cardio is low intensity and not all lifting is high intensity.

You can do high intensity cardio and low intensity lifting and vice versa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 05:55:49 PM
Burns little fat in comparison to other exercises, especially ones where you lift your own body weight.

The reason why people run is to lose fat.  You don't hear anyone say, 'yeah man I gotta lose weight so Ima start lifting'.  They go straight to running.

Really diet beats everything but running Beats lifting. IMO

Unless if you're doing High enough intensity lifting to Match what the regular standard for cardio is.

Well I guess people who lift are concerned with bulking up so they eat a lot with negates the amount of calories burned, and people who run are the opposite so they don't eat as much

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 06:57:35 PM
I was preaching to the choir here I guess.
I used to run 6.2 miles 2 times a week when I lived in the suburbs. I loved it bc I would run in the fields and close to the woods. Fresh air, nice views and soft surface under my feet. I don't like running now bc it is no fun to run on concrete or asphalt alongside traffic. I prefer to go to the gym.
Stair master while listening to a good audio.

You know?
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 09:55:11 PM
Stair master while listening to a good audio.

You know?

Gosh no, no audio!

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 10:02:30 PM
Some people could burn a not inconsiderable number of calories just exercising their faculties in reading this stuff; best not to do it while on a bike though, otherwise an accident might occur...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 10:56:11 PM
The reason why people run is to lose fat.  You don't hear anyone say, 'yeah man I gotta lose weight so Ima start lifting'.  They go straight to running.

Really diet beats everything but running Beats lifting. IMO

Unless if you're doing High enough intensity lifting to Match what the regular standard for cardio is.

Well I guess people who lift are concerned with bulking up so they eat a lot with negates the amount of calories burned, and people who run are the opposite so they don't eat as much

It's cardio.  Although I think cutting calories would work too.  Exercising the heart has its own benefits.

I read somewhere it's 150cal/mile for running, depending on how hard you run.  I thought maybe 130 taking it easy.  To keep it really simple and to err on the side of being too low, I just think 100cal/mile.  Do that, but keep food intake the same... Should lose weight.  Although I've found it's more difficult to really target fat.  I ended up not eating a lot during the day and then stuffing myself in the evening and at night, along with "the wall" probably when energy just disappears.  It's been that way since this winter.  I haven't figured it out yet.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 12:09:53 AM
It's cardio.  Although I think cutting calories would work too.  Exercising the heart has its own benefits.

I read somewhere it's 150cal/mile for running, depending on how hard you run.  I thought maybe 130 taking it easy.  To keep it really simple and to err on the side of being too low, I just think 100cal/mile.  Do that, but keep food intake the same... Should lose weight.  Although I've found it's more difficult to really target fat.  I ended up not eating a lot during the day and then stuffing myself in the evening and at night, along with "the wall" probably when energy just disappears.  It's been that way since this winter.  I haven't figured it out yet.

This probably isn't healthy but recently I lost a lot of weight from drinking straight protein and nothing else.

I lost a lot of fat (hardly noticeable cause I'm skinny anyways but kept my muscle

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 12:38:40 AM
Yep, getting rid of carbs.  I was thinking that for a long time, but now I wonder.   I read carbs can charge up your muscles, muscles holding about 1.5 hours of energy.

I just want to be healthy and feel good.  Less fat sounds worthwhile.

Offline pjjslp

Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 01:20:29 PM
It's cardio.  Although I think cutting calories would work too.  Exercising the heart has its own benefits.

I read somewhere it's 150cal/mile for running, depending on how hard you run.  I thought maybe 130 taking it easy.  To keep it really simple and to err on the side of being too low, I just think 100cal/mile.  Do that, but keep food intake the same... Should lose weight.  Although I've found it's more difficult to really target fat.  I ended up not eating a lot during the day and then stuffing myself in the evening and at night, along with "the wall" probably when energy just disappears.  It's been that way since this winter.  I haven't figured it out yet.

Yeah, I usually figure about 100 calories/mile as well. I do think that "steady state" cardio (running the full distance at the same speed, stationary bike or elliptical with no change in speed or resistance) is not as good as changing things up. I tend to do a little speed play when I run, like doing short sprints in an otherwise long steady run. That's more of a high intensity interval approach that makes for stronger cardiovascular and more fat burning, from what I've read. Cross training with weights or even just body weight exercise on non-cardio days is helpful.

Now if I could figure out a way for my brain to stop crying out for ice cream every night after the kids are in bed....

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 02:41:15 PM

Thal
I have one, and use it regularly for personal transport. Beats the hell out of walking and I can put it on the city bus so I'm all set!

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 02:51:54 PM
I almost never flat out run because I play tennis 2-3 hours per day. Why run after your own shadow and not a tennis ball or football?
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 09:08:45 PM
I almost never flat out run because I play tennis 2-3 hours per day. Why run after your own shadow and not a tennis ball or football?

Yeah I'd rather run from basketball or something else cause you're not thinking about running so you do more

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 05:16:47 PM
I used to go running a lot , regularly. It kept me really in shape, ripped.

These days I am walking but I am going to try to get back to some running again. I miss it.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 09:54:45 AM
Running as in long duration is overrated . Weights, Push ups, pull ups, hand stands, heavy squata and deads, some sprints (multiple high intensity and short duration) and lot of walking make just about anyone lean, jacked, less likely to injure and have less risk for metabolic detrangement related diseases.

unless i am re running to catch something or running away from something, i do not bother.

pooh said it best

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 07:45:50 PM
HIIT cycle training took me to another level and this can be encompassed within easy paced rides to get the best of both worlds.

Amazed i have not had me first heart attack.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 04:19:36 AM
Just sprinted half a mile in 3.5 minutes to get to a bus. So I guess that counts as running today.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 05:22:23 AM
At sixty-eight I find my own moderate amount of exercise suits me, and I don't worry too much about diet provided it is balanced. I do about an hour a day of exercycling, half an hour of weights and springs, mow my kikuyu grass with a hand mower, do plenty of manual labour and walk a mile or two every day rather than drive. I eat an ordinary diet of meat or fish, spuds or rice, greens and plenty of fruit. I don't think about any of this as it seems to work all right. If I fancy a sweet dessert, a cake, a brandy, a bar of chocolate, then I have these things, but in small quantities and not every day, or probably even every week. As I see it, it's all just about moderation and common sense.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 10:47:05 PM
Anyone get a giant drop in energy, "the wall" at night if you run?

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 11:24:33 PM
Anyone get a giant drop in energy, "the wall" at night if you run?

No I haven't. I don't doubt it exists because they all talk about it, but I haven't had it. After a day of heavy physical activity I sometimes feel a very pleasant lethargy, but insufficient to prevent me playing the piano for an hour or two and completing household duties. The only time I experience anything like a "wall" is if I am sick and carry on training, which I tend to do anyway despite what the doctor says.

Do you think it might relate to sugar levels ? Or is it a result of simply not eating enough ?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 11:19:37 PM
I wonder if it was related to calories.  I didn't watch what I ate as much.  Actually gained weight.  Still had the energy dip.

Ended up being able to run farther distances though.  That's the odd part.  8 miles before, crashed, then it was 3 miles without too much trouble.  This week I'm easing back on that. 

I'm thinking it's long term effects from the 8 miles.  (That's 8 miles per day.)   Plus some kind of retained 'habit.'  I'm thinking willpower could pull me out of it.  Demand and force myself to do what used to be regular routine things at night.

Or it's tension related.  I'm trying stretching a lot more this week. 

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 03:40:39 AM
Got one piece tonight.  Not a huge surprise.

It's not running out of energy completely.  It's running out of energy for the last "bump" to overcome for the night.  If I sit down or lay down and then fizzle, it takes energy/willpower to get moving again.  If I'm so out of energy I give up on that, I'm done for the day.  If I still have enough energy (like tonight) to get over that bump, then I can practice or work on another project at night.  Then fizzle later.  It's just that initial obstacle that requires willpower though.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 10:23:59 AM

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 11:49:15 AM
Got one piece tonight.  Not a huge surprise.

It's not running out of energy completely.  It's running out of energy for the last "bump" to overcome for the night.  If I sit down or lay down and then fizzle, it takes energy/willpower to get moving again.  If I'm so out of energy I give up on that, I'm done for the day. 

I get a drop in energy and concentration after work.  When I feel it, I take a nap.  45 minutes later I can get up and do what needs to be done. 
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert