Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Request For Comments on Fingerings (Brahms Paganini Var. IV Book I)  (Read 1531 times)

Offline louispodesta

In that I am now ready to memorize and polish this piece, I need some advice/comments regarding the fingerings in regards the first section of Variation Number IV (Book I).  When you listen to famous recordings of this piece, it appears that everyone is using fingers four and five to effectuate the trill.

Then, when you look at some live You Tube versions, you get the impression that most people use fingers two and three to do the heavy lifting on this trill.  However, I have seen 4-5, 1-3, and then 4-5, which with my small hand is very comfortable.

I will now list the link to two pianists who do the former:

Thanks and any comments you might have would be most appreciated.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Well... I can barely stretch a 10th (it's doable, but it doesn't feel too good), but even I pushed myself to do the trill with 4-5.

Offline louispodesta

Well... I can barely stretch a 10th (it's doable, but it doesn't feel too good), but even I pushed myself to do the trill with 4-5.

Thank you for your comment.

I also can barely stretch a tenth, therefore, I would like to include the following post from a teacher on that subject:  "But for those with little hands, to which these extensions are materially impossible, we can allow the following artifice:"  Alfred Cortot Edition!

He therefore suggests a rolled chord, and I have also seen pianists do a "jump," wherein they strike the thumb and then jump to the trill figure.  If you keep the pedal down all along the way, you can barely hear the difference.

Once again, I am not the only one out there with this situation, so please respond in your own way, if you so desire.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert