Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Project n°2 Sight Reading  (Read 1344 times)

Offline blackpianistjp

• PS Silver Member
Project n°2 Sight Reading
on: May 19, 2016, 11:56:23 PM
Hello,

I thought this might interest people as sight reading is rarely addressed and it will also enhance my consistency and my result to post it publicly. Utimately it will also show that if one devotes himself to doing something little by little, it may help laugh

My sight reading is not par at all with my other skills. So I will probably try to read something difficult then post it (or not) upload a few easy level sight read piece a week and try to play the same complicated piece in some months or year.

Ultimately I would like to be able to sight read Chopin's Etudes or Scriabin's Etudes at least at 70% of tempo, and about all the notes, but let's just see a how much progress I can make.
And let's entice people praticing their sight reading and give a few tips along the road. As this is good skill to have. Sometimes people are not made to do it until they can see examples.

So first, let's buy easy books !

Offline jimroof

Re: Project n°2 Sight Reading
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 04:48:54 PM
"Ultimately I would like to be able to sight read Chopin's Etudes or Scriabin's Etudes at least at 70% of tempo, and about all the notes, but let's just see a how much progress I can make.
And let's entice people praticing their sight reading and give a few tips along the road. As this is good skill to have. Sometimes people are not made to do it until they can see examples."

I want to meet the pianist who can sight read Scriabin's D# minor etude at FIFTY percent of the indicated tempo.  Hell... I would be impressed with 40%.

I can see reading a Mozart or Beethoven sonata at 70%.  Chopin and Scriabin etudes?  You are in for a very long wait...
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert