Piano Forum

Topic: Overworked wrist: should I go light or stop?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline spenstar

Overworked wrist: should I go light or stop?
on: May 31, 2016, 01:39:29 AM
I overworked my wrist from playing too many octaves (obviously, i also need to work on relaxation) I took it light for a while and the pain went away, but yesterday I was throwing a football and the pain came back. Do I need to stop playing completely, or should I just play light pieces?

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Overworked wrist: should I go light or stop?
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 01:42:49 AM
or may be stop throwing the football?  It's a matter of priorities...  if you want to play piano, play lightly until the strain goes away (and there's no harm to a little ibuprofen to help the inflammation).  If you want to play football...
Ian

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:38:13 PM
I recommend a period of total rest. This is from own experience.

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 11:14:01 AM
I agree with total rest.

If your left hand is still fine you could keep working on exercises or pieces for LH alone. I learned Brahm's transcription of the Bach Chaconne for LH after I hurt my right hand, and I still love to play it even now that my RH is back to normal.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 12:29:42 AM
Hi spenstar,

A rest from piano might be helpful as the others here point out.

I believe that the answer lies more in ergonomics.

First, you need to sit correctly at the piano, hands on the keys. When you're readjusting the bench up or down, look carefully at the forearms, hands on the keys.  It's very important that the forearms, including the tip of the elbows, be perfectly leveled parallel to the floor.

The leveled forearm should NOT be slanting upward or downward toward the body. The upward slant automatically causes an upward flex in the wrist.  If the slant is downward, the wrist will automatically cause a downflex of the wrist. Involuntary flexing up or down is to be avoided.  If you cannot tell whether your forearms are level or not, ask someone else to look. Or, set up a mirror to see for yourself.

The forearm being parallel to the floor will automatically cause a flat surface on the top surface of the forearm.  The wrist will also be just as flat, as will the back of the hand. It should look like a flat road or runway.  That should be a routine posture while playing the piano.  

What you want to totally avoid is carpal tunnel syndrome.  Ergonomics principles are devised to ensure comfort and safety at the keyboard.

If still a problem, see your physician.

P.S.  At the office and if you do keyboarding, these same fundamentals can be used at the work station to assure comfort and safety.

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 06:33:08 AM
Rest for a little bit, but when you do return, if you don't correct the habits that caused the pain, they'll come right back.

I do something similar, and as long as you don't clench, you'll walk away pretty pain-free

Though I am nowhere near as fast and definitely nowhere near as good LOL
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert