Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: The more I learn the less I know  (Read 1944 times)

Offline tinyhands

The more I learn the less I know
on: June 08, 2016, 10:50:44 AM
Recently I feel I have entered a new phase in my piano playing which is quite exciting for me. I feel that the more I learn well it's like the less I know. Does that make sense to anyone? But instead of being frustrated, I'm quite excited by it. I feel like a whole new world has been opened up to me, like a lightbulb has just gone on and it's like 'ahhhh I get it now!' I played from age 11-17 and I'm now 40 ( with a massive 20 odd year gap in between) returning as an adult a few years ago. I realise now as a child I never really 'got it' just went through the motions, played lovely tunes but always felt a bit like a wind up toy.. Wind me up and I fired out the tunes and everyone said it was lovely, but I always felt like a bit of a fraud... Like I didn't really 'get it' My teacher now is wonderful and talks about the 'language' of music and 'reading' a score. Even though I was playing to an intermediate level , Up till now I was just interpreting it on surface level I suppose like thinking to myself 'it's piano at that measure then crescendo to forte at that bit' but just going through the motions I suppose. There was no connection, I felt distant physically from the piano, just pressing the keys. But over the last few weeks I feel like I am actually understanding the music more like why it goes where it does and seeing what the composer was trying to express at a certain bit. So now it's like this whole new language has been opened up. I suppose I can compare it to Spanish. I knew a bit over the years and could get by on my holidays there, but one year spent a while there and I remember sitting on a group chatting and suddenly realising I understood it much more.  Like the nuances, subtleties of the discussion. Then I realised there was a whole other level of speaking and understanding than just getting by...So anyway I just wanted to share... I feel excited, like I've reached a crucial milestone.. And I feel so excited to explore this whole new world that lies ahead. I'm 40 now.. Maybe another 50 years if I keep healthy :-) of wonderful music, and this language to study and understand. I'll never be a concert pianist, and I may never play the Apassionata but I am so looking forward to exploring the huge world of music that lies ahead. 😃 Happy playing everyone! 🙌🏼🙌🏼

Offline kuska

Re: The more I learn the less I know
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 02:58:42 PM
yeah, similar here. I mean, I never really was taught technique until I began secondary music school. That made me aware a bit. However as I started again now I have that impression I've never really realised the quality of the sound. In fact I just didn't care. Now I do.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 03:37:09 PM
It makes total sense, and congratulations also on having a teacher who has opened this world to you.  It has been similar for me along my own personal journey, and these are the things that I seek out.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:41:52 AM
This is uncovering "what you didn't know you didn't know" and it can be a powerful realisation.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 07:36:55 PM
Socrates.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 09:44:51 PM
Welcome to the club!
I had this experience after listening to a bunch of Beethoven sonatas. Truly an enlightening experience.
You'll also find that you become much more humble.

Offline pjjslp

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 01:17:22 PM
Makes sense to me! I took lessons from 5-19 and then took a 20+ year break. Now I'm in my mid 40s and now I hear and feel music so differently. When I was young, I think I played about 40% for my own enjoyment and 60% to impress others, always aiming for what was fast and flashy. Now it's 100% for me, and a whole new world has opened up. I only wish I had as much time to practice now as when I was young!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert