Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Any recommendations for a newbie?  (Read 2196 times)

Offline saltyroast

Any recommendations for a newbie?
on: June 08, 2016, 05:45:00 PM
Hi, I've been playing piano for about half a year now. I can play mostly simple songs such as bach's prelude in c, chopin's nocturne op. 9 no.2, 1st mov of moonlight sonata, and I have a bit of turkish march down. I can also play the c major scale in 3 octaves at around 100bpm and the g major scale in 1 octave at around 120 bpm. I have mostly been using electronic pianos and a korg sp170s as my access to a real piano is limited. However this week Im getting an upright to improve my technique and ability to make my performing more "musical". Can anyone recommend some songs that would suit my skill level and aid me in boosting my piano performance? Also how much more practice do i need to play the chopin etudes like op. 25 no. 12 or no. 11?

Offline kuska

Re: Any recommendations for a newbie?
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:38:38 PM
This isn't a queation with a simple answer. You can take any songs you like and learn it in a way that you can just play it with both songs. Just some songs would require more time than other. If you really want  to improve your technique imo focus on simple etudes with a variety of problems like staccato.

Yesterday I started playing my piano ABC again and I wasn't satisfied with the song I played. I felt like I could take so much more out of it. It's like everything else. You can perform kihon or kata for a black belt when you're 5 kyu but the quality would be so much different. Or you can draw complex pictures - just maybe not everyone would recognize what was that.

Offline kalospiano

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:09:58 PM
it's hard to tell without knowing what you personally would like to play.
what kind of pieces are you looking for?
I can suggest some according to my own - very trivial - tastes, but I'm not sure whether it's gonna do it for you:

Clementi - Sonatina in C
CPE Bach - Solfeggietto
Satie - Gnossienne 1
Satie - Gymnopedie 1
Beethoven - Fur Elise

Plus you could continue working on the Turkish March.
Double plus, you could check the ABRSM syllabus.
Also, my own personal advice (although it probably won't be appreciated by more experienced pianists) is to start working on those chopin etudes if that's what you wanna do. Just make sure that you go very very slow on those, and not only with regards to playing speed: for instance, work on one or two bars maximum (maybe just one single hand, if necessary) for a bit of time (be it a day, a week or more if necessary) of one Chopin etude, and in parallel tackle at a faster speed a simpler piece more suited for your skill level.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 08:28:31 PM
I want to first say credit to Kalo for giving a genuine answer.

This is a fake post in which to get a reaction from other users otherwise known as "trolling"

If English is not your first language it may not be that easy to tell, but please dis-regard these posts in future they are not real and not worth wasting your time on.

P.S - Salty, you're best bet is to cut off both your hands and strap a pair of goat hooves to your wrist, it's the best chance you've got a playing anything by Chopin that doesn't sound like it's been murdered by an extreme application of chimp faeces.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:24:52 AM

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 05:44:08 PM
To me, the answer is dependent upon your long term goals.

I think everyone who begins to play wants to enjoy playing, and there are any number of approaches to that.  You can play for your own pleasure and enjoyment, in which case, I'd say, chose the composer whose music most appeals to you and start with the most "etude" like of their pieces.  It may be songs for children, pieces written by the composer to teach them our kids (Bartok, e.g.) or simplified versions of your favorite classics. 

The other approach is to build a foundation of technique and theory, which will lead to more professional performances of more advanced pieces.  For this, I think a good teacher is essential.  If you live in a city with a music school, you can frequently find teachers in a community music program there.  Alternatively, you may work your way through the ABRSM curriculum.

Whatever your choice..enjoy! 

Offline marijn1999

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:43:04 PM
Bach, a lot of Bach... ;)
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 02:53:27 PM
Anything you like, just take it slow and relaxed.

How much practice you need for Chopin etudes ? Start working on them and you'll see...
Horowitz - Danse Macabre / Carmen variatons
Chopin - Polonaise in A flat Major + Etudes
Liszt - Liebestraum #3
Beethoven - Moonlight 3rd movement

WORK IN PROGRESS
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert